PDA

View Full Version : Health Question: Eye Mucus

BeachBum
09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Without getting to detailed here...
My 3 yr old has had repeated problems (over the last 6 weeks) with mucus coming out of his eye. It is in the corner by his nose, and wet like a booger/snot. When I wipe it out, it comes right back. The first 2 times I took him to the Ped and they said pink eye. It is not crusty, and his eye hasn't gotten red after since first incident.
He's had the mucus 3 or 4 other days (not consecutive) since the last visit to the Ped. I'm concerned that his sinus cavity or something is leaking into his eye area.
He has had a runny nose since the first incident (almost always clear, but a good bit of it).

Any ideas what is going on? How should I proceed with the Ped?

jerigirl
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Could it be a blocked tear duct? They are more common in young babies but not unheard of in children. Could you get in with an ophthalmologist for a second opinion? Has DS had a recent sinus infection or upper respiratory infection?

Kungjo
09-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm thinking that it's probably a blocked tear duct as well. I would take him to a pediatric ophthalmologist to have his eye checked out. DD #2 has had that problem off and on till she was almost 3. Hers was finally diagnosed as an allergy related problem that a few allergy drops in the eyes cleared up right away.

ThreeofUs
09-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I'll third the blocked tear duct dx, and the recommendation to go to a ped ophthalmologist. Doesn't sound like pink eye/conjunctivitis at all.

octmom
09-14-2008, 10:18 PM
DD had a blocked tear duct as an infant. What you are descibing sounds familiar. We took her to an ophthalmologist when she was young enough to have it opened up in the office. IIRC, her doc said that he only did the in-office procedure on infants up until around 7 or 8 months. After that, it would be a trip to the OR under general anesthesia.