PDA

View Full Version : Play yard??

djtanner
09-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Pack n play...play yards...what is the best. i have liked the chicco, graco, and baby trend...but are there better ones out there...what is your opionion on the play yards

Cubdriver
09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
I am wondering this as well. My wife and I really like the Chicco, however, if you look on the babies-r-us website, the reviews are not the best. A lot of people complain that they are a pain to set up and takedown, especially compared to the Graco. I almost wonder if this is due to user error or it is a genuine concern. Does anyone have the Chicco? If so, do you like. Is it practical to setup and takedown?

Thanks

sste
09-14-2008, 10:13 PM
I like the Graco totblock for playpen use - - when you are cooking, showering, etc.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2037160

I like the cheapest graco pack n play that has a bassinet for travel. I know people who liked the changing table but I didn't, the mobile is useless, all you need is the pack n play and if its a newborn the bassinet. Walmart used to have a nice one in navy with a full bassinet, now it looks like a half-bassinet?? I think Albee has a basic one in green "jungle" for $50. If you can find it, navy is a great color for a travel one, hides wear and tear.

djtanner
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
how useful are these? i mean do you need one?

LBW
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
I rarely used one with my first child. I used it all the time with my second, and use it even more with my third.

WatchingThemGrow
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
You need a safe place for the baby to sleep when you travel. Yes, you pretty much need one. I don't know any parents that don't own AT LEAST one.

djtanner
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
which one do you reccomend

srhs
09-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I have the Chicco. I usually delegate setup/teardown to DH, but I managed it on my own yesterday just fine! (And the setup was at 3am, mind you. :) )
I can't compare to other brands because I don't have experience. I know the others accommodate packnplay sheets, and Chicco doesn't.
Yes, we NEEDED one because we travel on overnight trips to family. And, I wanted DS in our room at nights even after he outgrew the bassinet. So, he went to the bassinet of the playard until 15 lbs and now in the the bottom.
Rambling here...but the light/music/vibrate box is handy but could be improved. You have to turn it ON (*ding* noise) in order to use the light or the vibration. Annoying when you want to quietly soothe or check on baby. You can leave the box on, but the batteries seem to run out quickly then.
We used the changing table feature A LOT when DS first came home, but the height is hard on the back; I think this would be true of any PNP changer.

djtanner
09-15-2008, 04:31 PM
would you reccomend not getting the chicco

srhs
09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
would you reccomend not getting the chicco

Well I am happy with my choice, but I can't say you wouldn't like another one better because I only have experience with mine...
You have to decide what features are important to you. I also wanted my fabric to match my travel system, but that's understandably not important at all to some people.
Do you have the BB book? It helped me to just take one chapter and decision at a time. I could make a list of important features to me after reading the chapter, read reviews online, and then post here for clarification/updates.
Don't stress too much!

zag95
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I have the Graco pack n play... and it is great! Mine has a bassinet feature, changing station etc. It is the Bermuda pattern- not as bulky as some pack n plays.

Great for traveling!

MMMommy
09-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Big thumb's up for the Graco Pack n' Play. It was indispensable to us after our girls were born.

djtanner
09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
whats the diff btw a pack and play playard and a co sleeper

GraceH
09-16-2008, 01:47 AM
I would say that it depends on why you're looking to get a pack and play....
We didn't want to do co-sleeping or bassinet, but we go camping and spend time outdoors, so Graco's Pack and Play Sport (waterproof, indoor/outdoor, UV roof) was the ideal choice for us (they don't make them now in the US, but are available on eBay, etc.)

djtanner
09-16-2008, 12:34 PM
so the staff at BRU told me to get apack and play not a co sleeper cause the pack and play can serve that purpose and you can use it a lot longer??? REally??

sste
09-16-2008, 06:59 PM
A pack and play is much more versatile. I don't have a co-sleeper but the advantage is that you can kind of grab the baby and slide him or her toward you for BF. I would have really appreciated this after my c-section . . .

gatorsmom
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
A pack and play is much more versatile. I don't have a co-sleeper but the advantage is that you can kind of grab the baby and slide him or her toward you for BF. I would have really appreciated this after my c-section . . .

Except you can't really slide the baby to you. there is a 3 or 4 inch high lip separating baby's bed and yours- even when you have the side down on the cosleeper and pressed up against your bed. So, you still have to lift baby up to bring him next to you in bed.

Since I'd already had one c/section and was scheduled for a second, I thought I would really like a cosleeper too for my second baby. I bought a used one off ebay. I'm so glad I didn't pay full price. What a PITA. Imagine essentially a packnplay with the side a bit lower, pressed up against your bed. It's big. now you are at home resting, sore from the surgery and you want to get out of bed but are having a hard time swinging your legs down off the bed because the dang cosleeper is in your way. And at 2am when you are so tired and the baby cries to be fed, you still have to sit up straight so you can pick up baby and bring him to you. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I was really disappointed after my second delivery that the co-sleeper didn't make my recovery easier like I thought it would.

to the OP, go for the Graco with a bassinet feature and some side pockets. You can't go wrong with the Graco. hth

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
to the OP, go for the Graco with a bassinet feature and some side pockets. You can't go wrong with the Graco. hth
ITA. Those are the features to look for. I am glad that we had the changing table that fit over the PnP too (*don't keept it on when baby is in the PnP bassinet or lower section!). We had a changing table upstairs and used the PnP one till he outgrew it.

Ds is 9m now and we have the Graco PnP set up in our living room so if we need somewhere safe for him to be he can go there. We have also taken it on many trips as a place for him to sleep.

I don't think you can go wrong with Graco PnP.

Beth

hillview
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Graco PNP. DS 1 and 2 slept in it in our room after some co sleeping for a few months before going into their own rooms. We take it on trips and use it as a play area for outside etc. DS #2 has outgrown the play in it part (he is 1) but sleeps happily in it. It is worth it IMO. We got one on sale at Target (we didn't care about the colors) and it was maybe $70. It has a bassinette and a changing table. BRU also often has some print on sale.
HTH
/hillary