PDA

View Full Version : Help: Bday Cake for Food Allergic DD???

newmomto1
09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I am thinking ahead here I know.
DD will be turning 2 in January.
I think I will have a small party for her at My Gym since she is now in preschool & has her little group of friends :)
I am wondering what for or instead of a bday cake.
She is allergic to all dairy, eggs, & peanut.
I know there are some of you here in a similar situation. What do you all do????
TIA!!!!

kijip
09-15-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd start looking for vegan cake recipes. I know I have had some good vegan cakes before. :)

Jen841
09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
What about a mix of favorite items in cup cake cups or fruit kebobs? Both could make great presentations.

I know it is not healthy, but I sent fruit snacks today for E's bday to school. They throw away 1/2 of their cake so I bought what he picked in the grocery.

Have fun!

katerinasmom
09-15-2008, 09:26 AM
How about Rice Crispies Treats? I have made a Christmas Tree cake entirely out of Rice Krispies treats using a little food coloring and about 15 star cookie cutters in graduating sizes. (It was a kit. But it came out great.) You can probably use Flower cookie cutter cutters to make crispy treat "Cupcakes" and different size bowls to make a tiered cake. Here's a couple ideas -
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10574
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Rice-Krispie-Treat-Panda

LarsMal
09-15-2008, 09:51 AM
DS is egg/dairy allergic, too. We also avoid peanuts b/c his best buddy- who we see almost daily- is allergic to all three.

I've made cupcakes/cakes/cookie cakes for his birthdays. Are you looking for chocolate or white? Let me know and I'll post the great recipes I have!

ThreeofUs
09-15-2008, 11:08 AM
We have allergies and make non-allergen cakes and brownies.

WF, I think, carries the brownies that have no egg, diary, etc. - chocolate chunk? - and they are fantastic.

A big hit with the small crowd, who can handle a brownie where a cake is too big.

sunriseiz
09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
If you want a cake, how about a 'wacky cake'? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wacky-Cake-VIII/Detail.aspx A friend has a ds with the same allergies and she said it was great! :)

lil_acorn
09-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I made cupcakes for my son (also allergic to P, E, D) and then bought a BJ's regular sheet cake for the rest of the party. The BJ's cakes are so cheap & very tasty. Then I made 12 vanilla cupcakes. PM me if you'd like the recipe for that vanilla or chocolate cupcakes. It's out of the "Vegan cupcakes take over the world" book & they are quite tasty. I tried a whole bunch of vegan cupcake recipes adn they were all terrible but these were pretty good. If you see the Divvie's cupcake recipe,don't bother - those were terrible.

lmintzer
09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
My younger ds is allergic to eggs and peanuts (and used to be allergic to dairy, too). We always order him a small round vegan cake from Whole Foods. They are actually pretty good! We then order or make a large cake for everyone else.

Hope that helps.

SummerBaby
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I made this applesauce cake for my younger DD's first birthday. She is dairy and egg intolerant. I omitted the nuts and sprinkled powdered sugar on top. It was delicious! http://www.recipezaar.com/58189

I also found some cake and frosting mixes in the organic section of the grocery store (can't remember the brand name) that were dairy, egg, and nut free. Good luck!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

LarsMal
09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I also found some cake and frosting mixes in the organic section of the grocery store (can't remember the brand name) that were dairy, egg, and nut free. Good luck!

Might have been Cherrybrook Kitchen, which is pretty good.

I forgot to add this before...I swear I have no affiliation to this woman, my friend and I have used this cookbook as our allergy-friendly bible, and I just like to let FA mamas know about it! If you go to the website it has her recipe for chocolate cupcakes, which are really really good. I have made them for my family and DH's family for different holidays/birthdays and everyone loves them.

http://www.dairyfreeeggfreekidpleasingcookbook.com/

M&Mmom
09-15-2008, 05:30 PM
DD is allergic to dairy, egg and peanut too! DS is only dairy and egg - lucky him! I am pretty lazy so I use mixes. I have tried Cherrybrook Kitchens and they turn out really good. I like the yellow cake with chocolate frosting best. None of the kids at the parties noticed a difference (although some of the parents do). I usually make two batches of cupcakes and freeze some of the leftovers to take with us to other people's parties. DD knows that she eats her own cupcake when we go to parties.

lizajane
09-15-2008, 06:57 PM
if you search my name and applesauce cake you should find a recipe. it is really good and can be made dairy free by using smart balance (or similar) instead of butter. i have made it egg free, dairy free AND wheat free and it was still good!!! it is great with some powdered sugar dusted over the top.

newmomto1
09-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Thank you all SO MUCH for all the great tips, links, etc. I have been really busy so haven't had time to read them all. But I will DEFINITELY be looking at all this info as DD's bday & the holidays get closer. I know some of you said you had recipes for cakes & cupcakes. I would LOVE to see those too if it's not too much trouble. You can PM me any time.
I am so exctied to find out there are so many alternatives.
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!