PDA

View Full Version : "Evidentiary" hearing? Update...

BillK
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Has anyone had their finalization hearing referred to as an "Evidentiary" hearing by the courts - or know if some courts refer to the Finalization hearing as that?

Our attorney called today to let us know that the court has scheduled Ben's "Evidentiary" hearing - but I'm not sure if it's actually the finalization or not. Our attorney was not sure either and is looking into it.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

CAM7
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Is this for an international adoption Bill?

Octobermommy
09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
No, I just looked through our papers from the law firm and it was always referred to as "finalization". We do have papers that were filed with the court about 1 week before our finalization that our case worker signed that recommends us as parents and said there is "every evidence that this couple is providing excellent care...". It also states how the birth parents rights were relinquished. We did not attend this, just the finalization.

Hope everything goes smoothly!

BillK
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Is this for an international adoption Bill?

Yes it is. That's why we're confused. For Zach (domestic) we just had a "Finalization" hearing - however it was in a different county than this one.

CAM7
09-15-2008, 12:12 PM
If it's a Guat adopt you may find info on the "big list"... easy to join...

http://www.guatadopt.com/biglist.html

BillK
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Nah - it's Korea. The "well oiled machine" of the International Adoption world. That's why this whole "Evidentiary" wording has me somewhat freaked out. We've been assuming finalization was the next step.

haraldsworth
09-15-2008, 02:51 PM
It has been over 2 years since our court date, but I think that is another name for the finalization hearing. I think that just describes what they do in the hearing.

I can check our paperwork later.

BillK
09-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Well our attorney called me today and said he spoke with the clerk in the orphans court and the girl there said it was listed as a finalization hearing and that "evidentiary" is just the wording they use for a finalization hearing. He said he verified with her that the judge (who happens to be an adoptive mom herself) would have already notified him if she found something she didn't like on the paperwork submitted and she verified that yes - if there were any problems that he'd have been notified by now. *fingers crossed*

Ironically enough - if this IS indeed the finalization hearing for Ben - it will be exactly 1 year to the day that we got his referral - and it will also be exactly 1 day different than our finalization hearing for Zach. http://www.holtintl.org/forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

tnrnchick74
09-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats Bill! I'm so happy for you guys!

bubbaray
09-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Congratulations! So happy for your family!! :)