PDA

View Full Version : allergies and nursing ???

scoop22
09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
i am not one to take meds unless i have to.. i am going to have a breakdown soon if these allergies don't go away. what meds can i take while bf. i know there was a great site from the past could someone please help me. i have no energy to search.. THANKS. :sick:

eta: the site wasn't kellymom. i did see claritin is ok?????

SummerBaby
09-15-2008, 03:08 PM
I used Nasacort while BFing. Both my OB and my ped approved- apparently very little, if any, is absorbed into your bloodstream.

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

Melbel
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

http://www.babycenter.com/0_drug-safety-during-breastfeeding_8790.bc

HTH!

linsei
09-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I asked a pharmacist about claritin a while ago. I was told it was safe for the baby but it could dry/decrease your milk supply. I decided against it. HTH and hope you feel better.

mominjune
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
I've taken Claritin when I absolutely couldn't stand my allergies, or had to go to work and function without looking like I was really sick to my patients.

For me it doesn't have any effect on my supply, but I do always be sure to drink LOTS of water on those days as antihistamines dry out everything, not just BM supply.

annex
09-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I am nursing and was steered towards nasal sprays. I'm using Flonase, which seems to help though not with itchy eyes.

urquie
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
i'm in your same camp - only using (allergy) meds when absolutely necessary.

my allergies have been really bad in the last two weeks and have just consulted my allergist, dd's pediatrician, and our hospital's lactation center. i ended up with two new prescriptions - allergra and nasanex (a nose spray). the allegra is working really well and i keep forgetting to use the nasanex.

for over the counter, they all suggest benadryl. unfortunately it knocks me out... maybe you'd have better luck with it.

hope you're feeling better soon!