PDA

View Full Version : DD is very congested. Need some tips!

mdb78
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
My 16 month old is very congested right now. This is the first time we've seen her like this. We're trying to give her alot of fluids, but that's turning into a battle. During breakfast and lunch, she would cough so hard that some food that she just ate comes back up. Oh, and she also really hates that nose sucker now.

She does not have a fever so that's good. She does have her energy, but every now and then she'll want us to carry her for a few minutes then she'll climb down and continue on.

Last night, it was so hard for her to go to sleep and today she was having a hard time napping. Last night we did rub some vicks on her back, but it didn't help much. The doctor said to try a humidifier.

I'm trying to think how she could've gotten sick like this and the only thing I can think of was when I took dd to open gym at gymboree last thursday and some kids from the previous class hung around. Well one little boy was coughing hard. Hello! They tell you not to show up if your kid is sick! I totally blame that mom. Ok, done ranting.

Any more tips? I just feel so bad for her.

JTsMom
09-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Try sitting with her in a steamed up bathroom a couple of times a day. That always helped DS a lot. hope she feels better soon!

Tammy
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree with pp about the steam. DD's ped advised a cool mist humidifier and that always helps her. He also said can use a vaporizer at 15 min intervals during the day, but I don't have one so I don't know how successful this would be. I leave the humidifier on all the time in dd's room when she needs it. She's stil in a crib too, so I put a couple blankets under the head part of her crib to prop up the mattress at one just a little. Of course, this only works while dd sleeps at one end- until she moves around completely to the other. :) Good luck- it can be miserable for them, but I think my dd bounces back faster than me when I feel like that. Oh- what about some hot noodle soup too? I haven't done this and don't know about recommending it- but my SIL has given her dd warm decaf tea when she couldn't keep food down and it helped her.

lisams
09-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Steamy bathroom trips or a humidifier are great. Also, we use a saline nose spray and then suction. DS hates it, so DH holds him while I torture, I mean suction. It really does help though. Other than that, time and lots of snuggles. Hope she's feeling better very soon!

elektra
09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
A warm mist vaporizer seemed to help DD when she has been congested.

Tondi G
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
A warm bath with the vapor bath stuff works well around here. I've heard some good things about putting vicks vapo-rub on their feet and putting sock on them before bed. Saline nasal spray/drops help us all when we are sick, we use the Little noses brand. I know they say it doesn't work or is unsafe but I have always had success with Dimatapp. I only give it to my kids if they are just miserable and can't breathe through their nose at all.... one dose at bedtime.

Homemade Chicken noodle soup is one of the first things that happen if anyone is sniffling. we use lots of carrots, celery, green onions snipped into it and lots of fresh garlic.... it has good healing properties!

oh and our humidifier helps too

Good luck, hope she feels better soon!

mdb78
09-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it!
As for the saline drops, she hates it as much as the nose sucker. Dh tried the steam bath last night. It worked some. She is doing better this morning so thats good sign.

We just never seen her so congested like this. Its amazing how she just keeps on going. I remember when we all caught a stomach bug a few months ago. Even though she had diarrhea and didn't eat much she was still playing like nothing. I was pretty much on the floor pathetic.