PDA

View Full Version : Signing Time recommendations

Tammy
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I noticed another post where several of you recommended the Signing Time dvd's. I wanted to know which one you recommended-
Either the Baby Signing Time or the regular Signing Time?

I've read good reviews on both and several have said their dc liked the songs on the baby one. My dd is almost 2, and she can do several signs from the Baby Einstein "my first signs." She's really into it and I wanted to get her more. She's also really into music now as well. Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
09-15-2008, 09:56 PM
We have one of each plus (eek 22) recordings on TiVo. DD likes them both, but the regular ones will have longer staying power as I don't see 3-5 yo's wanting to watch the show with babies in diapers. She can keep up with the big kid ones JUST fine. What's hilarious is when she grabs little brother's hands and tries to make him sign - or when she corrects me or DH.

randomkid
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
We have Baby Signing Time and a few of the originals. DD just never really liked the originals all that much. She loved BST, though. It definitely kept her attention more and she learned a ton of signs from them. She is now almost 3.75yo and will watch BST on occasion and still has little interest in the others. She has no need to sign anymore, so the whole Signing Time thing is pretty much of little interest to her now anyway.

BTW, I'd recommend checking them out from the library first. You'll get a better idea of what is most interesting for your DD. That's how I found out DD didn't really like the originals.

kellij
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Baby Signing Time. It's constant singing. I think that's much more entertaining than watching kids say and do the sign. The non-baby version has a few songs, but not nearly as many. We bought regular first because they didn't make the baby. Got the baby ones afterward and really like them a lot better. Especially given your child's age.

KBecks
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
We loved the whole TV series which is regular Signing Time, and I loved all the episodes. We lost our TIVO recordings when it died and I am considering buying all the volumes of the regular ST.

But I am trying to reduce our TV use, so maybe not.
Check some out from the library if you want to try it out!

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I think some have noted in a previous thread that there were "older" ones from a few years ago and a "newer" version released more recently where Rachel and others were more animated in her expressions. People commented the newer regular ones were better. Some of them are still just coming out. I'd look for those when you're checking around. The covers on the boxes are different. If I can find a sample, I'll add it later.

randomkid
09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I think some have noted in a previous thread that there were "older" ones from a few years ago and a "newer" version released more recently where Rachel and others were more animated in her expressions. People commented the newer regular ones were better. Some of them are still just coming out. I'd look for those when you're checking around. The covers on the boxes are different. If I can find a sample, I'll add it later.

These would be Series Two http://www.signingtime.com/signing-time-series-two-dvd-collection

You can buy them individually, BTW. Yes, DD does like these better than Series One. We have 2 of them on DVR now as they are showing them on PBS. She does like them better than the originals. I still think BST is better for 2yo, though.