PDA

View Full Version : Don't make a joke about a tragedy idiot!

s7714
09-16-2008, 12:51 AM
On Friday we had a horrible train crash locally. Lots of people from our city and the immediate area lost their lives or were badly injured. So today at Costco an older man comes whipping around a corner and almost crashes his cart into mine. He laughs and says "Whooo! We almost had a train wreck there!" :47: I just stared at him. I couldn't believe he was making light of such a horrible situation that just happened. I said "That is NOT funny" and walked away.

I mean seriously, if you were in a distant city, or another state for that matter I'd at least accept that you just don't feel connected to the situation. But for gosh sakes, you're in an area where you could very well be talking to someone that lost a friend or relative in the crash. I wasn't personally affected by it, but I'd never ever make a comment like that out of respect for those that were. The accident was only a few days ago. They haven't even identified all the victims remains and this guy is already cracking jokes about the situation? Ugh. How incredibly rude, inconsiderate and inappropriate can you be old man? People like that just make me so sick.

Laurel
09-16-2008, 11:49 AM
How unfortunate.

I'm wondering if realized how stupid what he said was after you walked away? It may have just come out- I often use the phrase "train wreck" to describe all kinds of things (DD's bedroom and Britney Spears being a couple of examples).

I agree with you though, that considering the circumstances, he should have known better. Let's hope he felt like an ass afterwards.

I'm sorry you have had to deal with such a tragic event in your area. I'm at the other end of the state, but have had enough news coverage to understand the magnitude.

daniele_ut
09-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Obviously it's impossible for me to know what that man was thinking, but "train wreck" is a phrase I use regularly so he may not have been making light of the accident.

Either way, what a terrible tragedy!

maestramommy
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I think he just didn't think. I'll bet he felt like an absolute @ss afterwards. :hug:

I'm so sorry about the crash. I saw it on the news and it looked just horrible!

lorinick
09-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Obviously it's impossible for me to know what that man was thinking, but "train wreck" is a phrase I use regularly so he may not have been making light of the accident.

Either way, what a terrible tragedy!

I agree with train wreck being something people just say. I'm sure he says it often. And just didn't think about it at the moment. I'm sure he wasn't trying to make a joke about the terrible crash.

s7714
09-16-2008, 05:48 PM
I didn't realize it was a common expression people used! Oh well, I'll give the old guy the benefit of the doubt then, but hopefully my response got him thinking about it. It's just not a very smart thing to say around these parts right now.

Melanie
09-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Niiiice.

I agree it's a common expression, he probably just made a slip. You'd think people would try not to say such a thing right now, though. :(