PDA

View Full Version : Ok, would one liverwurst sandwich be the worst thing in the world?

JMS
09-16-2008, 12:52 PM
I pride myself on being a very healthy eater. I'm about 15 wks PG and up until now all I've really had are food aversions. Don't get me wrong, I'M STARVING! but I spend a lot of time starring into the refrig and wanting nothing so I just end up choking down something healthy.
Well, the last week or so all I want in Liverwurst on rye. I haven't had one in years and I know it's full of nitrates and preservatives and unhealthy fats, but can one sandwich really have any real detrimental effect on my developing baby???
This is really a serious WWYD question. Thanks!

KBecks
09-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I think you should go for it. :)

LBW
09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Yep, go for it!

elektra
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I craved hotdogs througout my pregnancy and definitely caved to the temptation a few times if that makes you feel any better. Oh and baby is just fine :)

maestramommy
09-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Well, I could tell you what my OB once said. I was having nausea/heartburn, and just feeling ill, but McDonalds made me come to life. He said, "go ahead and eat it if it makes you feel better."

So no, I don't think one liverwurst (or two or three) is going to harm you or your baby:)

JElaineB
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
The only concern would be listeria since it is a luncheon meat type thing. But if it is the only thing that sounds good to you I would say go for it.

Tondi G
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Eat it and don't worry about it!!!! If thats what you want, then thats what you need right now. I had fast food cravings that I gave in to when I was preggo cause it was the only thing that appealed to me and felt ok when I ate it!

ENJOY it!

CAM7
09-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Have some!! :-)

I can relate...when I was pg with my last the thought of most foods would make my stomach turn! I admit I'd eat ice cream a lot of the time coz nothing sounded good to me... yep... ice cream for lunch....

srhs
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Okay, I don't know *how* one eats liverwurst, but if you have have it HOT, you'll avert any listeria. (I was known to make restaurants 'fry' lunchmeat for me because I wanted THAT sandwich! hehe)
As for the liver warning...maybe be diligent about no other Vit A that day?

BillK
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
just great....now I'm hungry for a Brunsweiger and onion sandwich. Thanks!

LBW
09-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay, I don't know *how* one eats liverwurst, but if you have have it HOT, you'll avert any listeria.

I can't imagine eating liverwurst hot! BUT, if you do want to avoid the listeria risk, buy your liverwurst from a good deli with high turn around, keep it cold in your fridge, and (if you must!) microwave it before eating.

mdb78
09-16-2008, 04:20 PM
I'd say go for it! I also gave in a few times and everything is fine. :)

srhs
09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I can't imagine eating liverwurst hot! BUT, if you do want to avoid the listeria risk, buy your liverwurst from a good deli with high turn around, keep it cold in your fridge, and (if you must!) microwave it before eating.

oops...really showed my ignorance there, huh?
shhh...please don't tell my German grandparents I've never had (or maybe even seen) liverwurst. hehe :o

I really do think it's the Vit A in the liver warning, though, and you could just not have other Vit A rich foods that day. But what do I know?

mamicka
09-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Eat the sandwich. Be happy :).

kedss
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
:) go for it!!

LBW
09-16-2008, 04:53 PM
oops...really showed my ignorance there, huh?
shhh...please don't tell my German grandparents I've never had (or maybe even seen) liverwurst. hehe :o

Oh, I dunno. I'm sure people eat it hot! I just haven't! My Irish parents gave me liverwurst and ham sandwiches EVERY DAY growing up. Seems they had never heard of peanut butter and jelly (literally...they had never heard of it). I avoided the stuff like the plague until recently.

JMS
09-16-2008, 05:17 PM
just great....now I'm hungry for a Brunsweiger and onion sandwich. Thanks!

Sorry Bill... I don't want the onions just thick slices of liverwurst on really fresh jewish rye with a little deli mustard.

Thanks everything for putting my mind to ease. I'll taking myself out to a nice solo lunch (while both kids are in school) on Thursday. I can't wait! (Anyone in King of Prussia want to join me? :) ).

ThreeofUs
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh, that sounds SO yummy!

And, you know, there is actually a healthy, turkey-based liverwurst (maybe by Applegate Farms?) out there that would give you all the taste and less guilt.

I used to love liverwurst on rye. Have a wonderful sandwich!

MontrealMum
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh, that sounds sooooo good! I avoided hot dogs, liverwurst/pate, luncheon meat and sushi faithfully during my pregnancy because of the risk of getting sick (listeria etc - high fever being bad for baby) - only to hear from our prenatal instructor around week 38 or so that she thought avoiding sushi was stupid, and couldn't believe that all us mommies were following those guidelines! I think the whole class was ready to 1) kill her 2) go out for late-night taboo foods. As long as you feel good about the quality of the meat, and cleanliness of the restaurant, I think you'd be OK with one, or two... :)

Drag0nflygirl
09-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks everything for putting my mind to ease. I'll taking myself out to a nice solo lunch (while both kids are in school) on Thursday. I can't wait! (Anyone in King of Prussia want to join me? :) ).
LOL - if I didn't have to work Thursday I'd be all over that! I actually had the same craving when I was pregnant. IIRC the Pepperidge Farms kind that comes in the tube thingy is pasturized.

JMS
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
LOL - if I didn't have to work Thursday I'd be all over that! I actually had the same craving when I was pregnant. IIRC the Pepperidge Farms kind that comes in the tube thingy is pasturized.

If I lived where you lived Nancy, I'd be heading down to Hymies or Murray's on Montgomery Ave. I used to live in Wayne and one of my best girlfriends (these were the single days) got me hooked on Sunday lunches at Hymies. Liverwurst, Corn Beef Specials... all those good things PG-girls shouldn't ever eat :(

Thanks for the PF rec ... I'll check it out.

MamaKath
09-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Yummy! I craved the same thing recently, lol, but I am not pregnant. I say go for it!!!

caheinz
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Been there, done that. This pregnancy.

So far, everything's been looking great! (I just refused to read the ingredients label on the package, and pretended I didn't know better!)

Drag0nflygirl
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
If I lived where you lived Nancy, I'd be heading down to Hymies or Murray's on Montgomery Ave. I used to live in Wayne and one of my best girlfriends (these were the single days) got me hooked on Sunday lunches at Hymies. Liverwurst, Corn Beef Specials... all those good things PG-girls shouldn't ever eat :(

Thanks for the PF rec ... I'll check it out.
Can you believe I've never been? And this from a woman whose grandfather's family owned a kosher deli in Brooklyn. Oye!