PDA

View Full Version : NYT article about kids and fish oil

KBecks
09-16-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/15/health/healthspecial2/15fishoil.html?em

John had a pedi appt. today and she mentioned this article when I said I was considering fish oil. I offered the kids each one of my Nordic Naturals strawberry capsules but they didn't like them.

The pediatrician suggested a multivitamin since my kids don't eat many vegetables and so I'm trying Centrum kids.

fivi2
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
After asking about fish oil on here recently I bought one of the recommended flavored kids' brands. My girls said it was nasty - I tasted it and they were right! (Maybe a bad batch, I don't know, but it was gross). I now mix flaxseed oil in their oatmeal most mornings - they don't notice it. I take fish oil myself fairly often. (capsules)

I don't know whether it has made a difference or will (I don't suspect adhd or anything in my girls, just thought they might need it since we don't eat fish). But I haven't read anything that suggests any reason NOT to take it either... I am still on the fence about vitamins. (Not vitamins in general, just whether I need to give them to my kids).

Thanks for the article!

maestramommy
09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Interesting article! It pretty much echoes what my new ped told me. Course, he is like that about all supplements, including multivitamins. His take is, if you're going to lose sleep over it, give it to your kids, otherwise he just doesn't think it's necessary if your kids are eating a reasonably balanced diet, even taking into account toddler pickiness.

kedss
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
my ds takes a spoonful of fish oil almost every day, the unflavored type when his dad remembers. I dont take it, I love fish, but I don't like taking the oil.

niccig
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Do you need to take the oil, or can you just eat fish. We have fish about twice a week - don't know if that's enough or not.

Gena
09-16-2008, 06:23 PM
My son takes fish oil suppliments to help with his autism symptoms. It has made a huge difference in decreasing his temper tantrums in particular. Also, it has helped clear up some of his skin problems.

I originally had him on Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Junior, which is a burstable capsule. He loved it and would ask for his "fishy pills" every morning. Last month I changed him to Coromega, which is just Omega 3. It is pudding-like and tastes like orange sherbet. Now he asks for his "orange fish pudding" every day.

Omega suppliments was recommended to us by just about everyone: therapists, the psychologist, the developmental ped, other parents of kids with autism.

pinkmomagain
09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I originally had him on Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9 Junior, which is a burstable capsule. He loved it and would ask for his "fishy pills" every morning. Last month I changed him to Coromega, which is just Omega 3. It is pudding-like and tastes like orange sherbet. Now he asks for his "orange fish pudding" every day.

Just curious as to why you switched brands? I give dd1 the Nordic Naturals one, and wondering.....

Gena
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Just curious as to why you switched brands? I give dd1 the Nordic Naturals one, and wondering.....

I switched for a couple of reasons. One is that I think DS probably gets enough Omega 6 & 9 from his diet. Additionally, I wanted to increase his Omega 3 dosage. Switching to Coromega allowed me to more than double his Omega 3 intake without giving him additional 6 & 9 and without having to give him multiple doses a day. Most importantly, I want a product with a higher EPA than DHA. The research I have read indicates that children like my son (with autism, dyspraxia, and possible ADHD) respond better to higher levels of EPA. But, this is difficult to find in children's products, which usually have higher DHA and little or no EPA. One of the reasons I had choosen the Nordic Naturals 3-6-9 in the first place was because of its EPA to DHA ratio. The Coromega has the same high EPA to DHA ratio. I'm giving DS the regular Coromega for ages 4-adult and not the child formula that has more DHA.

So now I'm trying the Coromega for a few months to see how it affects his mood, trantrums, concentration, etc. He's been on it for a few weeks, but it's hard to tell the difference yet because the start of school and other family circumstances have been stressing him. However, his eczema and keratosis pilaris (skin bumps) have dramatically improved (which did not happen with the NN 3-6-9). So I'm hoping that if the Coromega is the right formula for his skin, it will be the right forumula for his brain as well.