PDA

View Full Version : Balance Bike Recommendation for older child?

emschwar
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
My mom is getting DS1 a balance bike for hanukkah. He's 4.5, but has no natural grace whatsoever. He really needs a balance bike!

He's tall - 75th percentile. Can anyone recommend a good balance bike (preferably under $100) for a child his size? A hand brake would be a nice plus too.

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
09-16-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm not good with the budget restriction, but the Trek Float would probably be great for someone his age/size/stage. Check to see if your local bike dealer could swing you some kind of deal on it. Since they transition into real bikes, I'm thinking you won't likely find one used. It should last him longer than just a balance bike, though. My friends own a bike shop and were wishing DD was older than 2 so she could try it out. We ended up with a Specialized Hotwalk instead :)

emschwar
09-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I looked into the trek float, and it's just too expensive. It's more than a balance bike + a regular bike. Playskool is coming out with a "convertible" balance bike too, but even that's $120.

stefani
09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
At that age I don't think a balance bike will last long. DS has a Kinderbike, he is 5 years old, 42 inches tall, so probably about your DS's height. The Kinderbike is still OK, but I think it is getting a little small, and I am looking into the Trek Float or as you mention it, Playskool's convertible bike.

While a Trek Float might be expensive, I like the fact that it becomes a regular bike. If you buy a balance bike this year, that probably means next year he needs a regular bike.

Good luck and do update us what you end up getting, please.

emschwar
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
At that age I don't think a balance bike will last long. DS has a Kinderbike, he is 5 years old, 42 inches tall, so probably about your DS's height. The Kinderbike is still OK, but I think it is getting a little small, and I am looking into the Trek Float or as you mention it, Playskool's convertible bike.

While a Trek Float might be expensive, I like the fact that it becomes a regular bike. If you buy a balance bike this year, that probably means next year he needs a regular bike.

Good luck and do update us what you end up getting, please.
I fully expect to buy him a regular bike next year. We have another son, who just turned 1, and are planning a 3rd child, so the balance bike will get handed down.

I measured his inseam (to floor) and it's just about 17". So I'm searching... I did find this bike: http://www.bootscootbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31
The seat on it goes from 17-20 inches, so that might be a good option, I'm just worried that the 17" setting will be too high. Though I guess he's got a few months of growing until he gets it.

How small is the kinderbike on your son? The website says the seat adjusts to 18.5", which seems like it would be plenty big enough for my son until he's ready for a real bike.

janeybwild
09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
At this age, I would skip a balance bike if you can't get a convertible one within your price range. Instead, I would recommend you buy a 2 wheel Razor scooter (~$20). It teaches balance just as effectivley as a balance bike IMO at this age. My younger DD has a balance bike, which we love, but at >4 yo, I think a scooter is a better option. My older DD never had a balance bike and didn't have much interest in the 2 wheel bike with training wheels. After 3 months on a razor scooter she got it. Went straight to no training wheels on a regular bike.

emschwar
09-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't mind getting a balance bike for him to use just for a year or so. He has a younger brother who will use it later.

LBW
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
I have two balance bikes. My 5-year old used an XL Puky until recently and my 2-year old uses a Specialized Hotwalk. I know the Puky is out of your price range b/c you have to order them from Germany, but it's a great size for a 5-year old. It has hand brakes, which I know a lot of the smaller balance bikes don't have, but are essential IMO for a larger child. The Hotwalk and the smaller balance bikes that *I* have seen are too small for an older child. (I never looked at the one you linked to, though. Check the handlebar height, too. Even if the seat adjusts up, the bike will be pretty uncomfortable if the handlebars are too low.)

Regarding inseams and seat heights: My 2-year old's inseam was just slightly less than the lowest seat height of the Hotwalk when we bought it and it wasn't an issue. He would walk the bike around and didn't even want to sit on the seat for a while. Now a few months later it fits him fine, and he uses the seat as he zooms all over the place.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd go for the Trek Float for your 5-year old and plan on buying a small balance bike for your little one in a year or so. Then your older child can use the Trek bike for a few years until his sibling outgrows the little balance bike.