PDA

View Full Version : I just don't understand...

MMEand1
09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
My DD is 3.5 years old (will be 4 in January). She has been out of diapers for the last year and we have had no problems. However, about 1-2 months ago she just started having accidents. She would make it to the bathroom and then not sit on the toilet and just stand in front of it and potty in her underwear. Today, as she was sitting at the table eating some toast, she told my DH that she was pottying in her pants. She just sat there and did not even make an attempt to get up and go to the bathroom.

WHY is she doing this? I put her in a diaper last week after she had 3 accidents in one afternoon...AFTER I told her to go to the bathroom. She pitched a fit about being in a diaper and after keeping her in it for about 30 minutes, I put her on the potty, and back in to her underwear.

Is this normal? The only change has been that my DS started Kindergarten on 28 August, but she was doing this before he even started school.

HELP!!!

hellokitty
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Unfortunately, this seems to be pretty normal. My oldest son (youngest is still PTing) was easy to PT, but we have had brief episodes where he seems to have a lot of accidents and then all of a sudden he is back to, "normal." again. Sometimes when they have a growth spurt, their bladder can take a while to catch up to the rest of the body and I kind of wonder if that has anything to do with these spells where they seem to have a lot of accidents. Hopefully, she will get over them soon for you.

CAM7
09-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Yes I can relate!

DD3.5 was wearing undies at home (and a few short trips out) and diapies when we went out. She usually kept her diapies dry though and would wait to use the potty when we got home.

It's like she was 50% trained and we were just about ready to go 100% undies until...she started to get 'forgetful'. And then really uncooperative about using the potty.... did NOT like suggestions to use the pottyseat, etc.

So after a few weeks of 'regressing'...her say "no" when asked if she had to use potty and her relying on diaper more I just switched her back to diapers.

I figured she needed us to back off for a while and let HER decide when she was ready.

Somedays it's really frustrating though...coz I know she 'gets it' and could be 100% trained...but it's not my body and it's really her decision.

So we wait. :-)

anamika
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
You're not alone. My 4 yo DD was completely night trained and suddenly just started having accidents. We now have her in diapers at night (after not having bought diapers for months) because we are too tired to deal with changing the bed clothes at night.
I just tell myself when she is ready again, it will be easier (I hope/think/ :praying:) for her to relearn.

Wife_and_mommy
09-16-2008, 07:33 PM
No advice. Just hugs.

My DD has been doing that the last couple weeks. She started preschool a few weeks ago so it's a delayed reaction of sorts. Infuriating but understandable for such a huge change.

ShanaMama
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
My DD has been doing this recently, but I think she's doing it as attention-seeking. She'll warn me that she's about to make on the floor. I chalk it up to adjustment to new baby, new school year, etc. I am trying to keep my reaction very low key & matter of fact. The last thing I want to do is turn it into an issue, KWIM?

M&Mmom
09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
We are having this same issue! DD was doing great and we ran out of pull ups a few months ago and haven't bought more. For the last few weeks she will wet the bed, usually in the morning but sometimes in the middle of the night. It isn't every night but almost and it is really annoying! We started using cloth pull ups (we call them nighttime underwear to distinguish them from regular) but they don't really contain it all and I hate to buy disposables again. I have told her that if she keeps going peepee in the bed she will have to start wearing diapers again and she doesn't want to. Usually she will be dry that night and then the next night she'll wet the bed again. It is so infuriating. In fact today I told her she has one more chance (tonight) and if she wets the bed again we are buying diapers. I don't know what to do and I don't know of any big change that started it. It's very frustrating.

galvjen
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
I could have written the basic idea of your post...

DS (3yrs 4mo) is going through the same. So frustrating!!! He's been 100% daytime PT for 6+ months. The last week or so - he'll pee just enough to take the urge away from his bladder which is enough to soak through underwear and pants. When he, then, goes to the potty and he pees a whole lot more. Not sure why this behavior started or when it will end (not soon enough, IMO) but we're pretty discouraged. I refuse to go back to pullups, however.