PDA

View Full Version : setback in sleep training

Si'sMama
09-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi everyone,

My husband & I recently sleep trained our 6 1/2 mo. old son. We thought he was doing so well - after routines, he'd fuss for 5-10 min. max, and then go to sleep. We had done the Ferber method outlined in B411. We had about 5 great days of that, but now we're in day 3 of our "set back" time. He's especially fighting the daytime naps - crying for over 30 minutes. Has anyone else had this issue? When we were training him I almost gave up so many times because I hate hearing him cry for ages - and the first few days were 2 hours of crying at night. :( I thought it was great when he started self-soothing. He's not been sick, runny nose, fever, etc.

What do I do? Should I stick this out again or try something totally new?

Thank you,

frazzled mama

TraciG
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
That is frustrating, I am actually reading the revised Ferber book now & sleep training, my DS is crying right now & took 2 hour's to fall asleep last night.

There is a section about if it's not going well, I can check tomorrow then post back, to tired now.

I wouldn't give up after all you've done so far !

Si'sMama
09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I'd love to hear what your chapter says and how it goes with your little one... thanks so much!

TraciG
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
When they take nap's Ferber say's if they're not asleep by 30 minutes or if they fall asleep then wake up by 30 minute's take them out and wait for the next nap, I had to do this twice yesterday. He say's if that happen's & the baby fall's asleep elsewhere that's fine as long as they fall asleep on their own, no rocking, swing etc.

Are you following his program strictly ?? Are you starting with short interval's to check him then increasing the time ? The reason for increasing the time is to reach a point where he is alone and long enough to fuss for a while and then settle himself before you have had to go in even once .He also say's enforcing routines inconsistently will only make problems worse.

You're not rocking him ???

not sure I gave you what you're looking for, just ask me I have the book if you have question's, believe me I know how it is !!!!!!!!!

Are you putting him to sleep when he's tired ? He even suggest's at the beginning to put the baby to sleep a little later then usual .

Si'sMama
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Traci,

Thanks for the help - I don't have Ferber's book, just the references in Baby 411.

We are NOT rocking him - in fact we took away the rocking and pacifier AND swaddle blanket to start, but have added the swaddle blanket back. He goes to bed at night SO well - last night was less than 5 minutes of crying, but during the day it's horrid. We started with the 5 minute intervals, but finally opted to go in the first two times - 5 and 10 minutes - and then leave him, as even when we'd go in after 25 minutes he'd just ramp back up and get so mad.

We're trying to stick to consistent routines during the day, too, but he is nto swaddled like at night - maybe that's the issue. ???

We are putting him to sleep when he's tired - we've tried the "before tired" when he starts to get a little hazy-eyed - the "tired" when he's rubbing his eyes and wanting to be held/cuddled. We haven't tried waiting until he's super tired. ???

Thanks again!!!

ahrimie
09-19-2008, 12:39 AM
oh mama, i hear (literally hear) what you're going through... my baby's crying right now. she goes to sleep really well--by herself! but has these nasty wake up times in the middle of the night. i've been watching her from the monitor with the sound turned really, almost off, and i'm going crazy now!

i know it's super hard.. but i think you've gotta stick wtih whatever you started. i read ferber... and just finished weissbluth--the method i'm going with. he gives really good explanations and things to try...

sigh* good luck!!