PDA

View Full Version : Ending DD's attention seeking behavior

vwh99
09-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Lately I've noticed that my almost 5 year old DD has gotten into a habit of speaking very loudly to me while trying to get another person's attention. Examples: "Mommy, I'm so glad that I have fill-in-the-blank toy" or "Boy, the brownie I'm eating is so yummy"...all said loudly while furtively glancing sideways towards the person whose attention she's trying to get (may be another child or sometimes even strangers). I don't know what to say other than agree with her quietly, but the behavior is starting to get a little annoying. Also, I don't want this to blossom into being a 'showoff' or bragger. Any suggestions? TIA!

Val
dd 10/03
ds 8/06
ds 6/08

hillview
09-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Outside of the behavior I'd tell her that it is rude (or other language) and could hurt someone's feelings etc. and tell her that if she slips up and does it you will not be responding but maybe give her a sign that it isn't ok (touch your nose or something). Sort of depends on if she is doing it with thought or if it is just a bad habit. If that doesn't stop it, I'd let her know you plan to ignore it until she can talk in a regular voice (nice voice).

Good luck!
/hillary

supercalifragilous
09-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I dealt with this 2 ways:
1. Ignored her until she could speak normally (and also not interrupt 2 speaking adults)
2. Took away what she was being showy about

I addressed this with DD beforehand and calmly talked with her about it afterwards. If she tries to interrupt, I hold up my hand to let her know I'll get to her when the adults are done talking and she gets the sign.

I don't tolerate showing off; I really hate that behavior and think it could lead to problems later on, so I nip it in the bud. DD knows that if she's caught being showy, she will lose whatever it is she's showing off. It's one thing to be proud of something (and that is OK), it's another to show off to make others feel jealous or covet it.

casey0729
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
I dealt with this 2 ways:
1. Ignored her until she could speak normally (and also not interrupt 2 speaking adults)
2. Took away what she was being showy about

I addressed this with DD beforehand and calmly talked with her about it afterwards. If she tries to interrupt, I hold up my hand to let her know I'll get to her when the adults are done talking and she gets the sign.

I don't tolerate showing off; I really hate that behavior and think it could lead to problems later on, so I nip it in the bud. DD knows that if she's caught being showy, she will lose whatever it is she's showing off. It's one thing to be proud of something (and that is OK), it's another to show off to make others feel jealous or covet it.

How old is your DD? Did she tantrum at all when you did it?

lizajane
09-17-2008, 03:42 PM
i pull my 5 year old to the side and remind him how much he complains about what is and is not fair. then i tell him that talking about X when his brother (etc) doesn't have one is not fair and is ugly and he is not to do it because it makes other people feel bad.