PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Safely Remove DD's Earwax?

randomkid
09-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Is earwax one word or two? - lol! Anyway, DD has always had a problem with wax buildup in her right ear. She also tends to get ear infections in that ear - don't know if they are related, but want to keep that ear clean JIC. I've taken her to the ped a few times thinking she had an ear infection and it's just buildup. They remove it and she's fine. A few days ago, she told me she needed to go to the doctor to have her "ear boo boo" taken out again. I really don't want to pay $25 for them to do this if I can do it at home.

Any suggestions from someone who does this with their DC?

Thanks

JTsMom
09-17-2008, 07:48 AM
DH has a major problem with buildup, and he has to go get it removed occasionally. From what I understand, some people have soft earwax that comes out easily, and some people have super-sticky earwax that tends to clog up the ears.

The ENT he went to last time said that he should put a little hydrogen peroxide in his ears every day, let it finish bubbling, then drain it out. I don't know how effective it is, but that's one thing that might be worth looking into.

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2008, 07:50 AM
I wanted to do it when a friend was doing an evaluation on DD for her schoolwork, but she said not to try it and just go to the dr. I figured our copay of $15 was less than any injury I might have done or trauma I would have caused that would affect future ear probing. If we're ever at the dr. for something else, I always have them check for buildup. Maybe someone else will have a good answer.

dcmom2b3
09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Our ped recommended 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 2 parts water, a few drops in the ears twice a week at bedtime. In the am you wipe away any, um, goo that's drained out.

Tondi G
09-17-2008, 12:24 PM
You could try some Garlic/Mullen oil ear drops to clear the wax and help prevent an infection. My mom was having some ear pain and assumed it was an EI starting... she used the garlic mullen drops and within a day the pain was gone and she didn't need a trip to the doctor afterall. She bought them at Whole Foods.

ThreeofUs
09-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry to be a dissenting voice here, but I have to note: be careful about the hydrogen peroxide. H2O2+ear wax = H2O, or water. That is, the wax combines with an oxygen, which bubbles off (to get rid of the wax) - but this leaves water behind, making ear infections more likely.

Most ear wax will respond to a couple of drops of mineral oil.

Here's an article:
http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/earwax.cfm

lil_acorn
09-17-2008, 02:09 PM
I actually just read an article a few weeks ago saying we shouldn't do anything with ear wax; don't try to remove it, but I can't remember where I read it.

elliput
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Here is the article-

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26443394/

mom2binsd
09-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Ear wax (or cerumen-pronounced "siroomen") is a protective coating that is supposed to be there...when it does build up it's best to have a doctor remove any excess....the ear canal and the ear drum are very delicate....during my rotation in audiology (to become a speech therapist) it was stressed by ENT's and our professors not to even suggest that clients remove their own earwax....if build up is chronic ask you doctor what they suggest....and for adult ear wax please never NEVER use ear candling....a very dangerous and ineffective practice.

randomkid
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all your replies. After I posted this, I remembered that I have some drops from the ped that they gave us the last time we had this issue. They soften the wax and it comes out on it's own, then I just wipe it away.

DD does get buildup that causes problems. The last time it was removed, it was very hard and had adhered to her eardrum. When they removed it, there was a little bleeding (which is where the "boo-boo" term came in). I'll try the drops first and if that doesn't work, I guess we'll see the ped. If we were in for something else, I'd have them check, but we fortunately have not had to go in months. The last time we went she was sick and complained of ear pain - that's when they had to remove the wax. I just need to be more vigilant with the drops so it doesn't buildup.

Ear candling? I've never heard of it until reading about it in some of your links. Who thought that would be a good idea?!?

denvergal
09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Our pediatrician just recommends taking a drop or two of any kind of oil (olive oil, canola, vegetable ) and put it in each ear with a sterilized dropper before bedtime and by morning voila there it is all on the pillow and the ear canal is clean. it's amazingly effective and all natural. and not to give TMI or anything but it comes out in one big clump so it's not as messy as you would think.

my kids don't mind it at all. he also added that if you're worried about your kids being squeamish about it you could slightly warm the oil before putting it in the ears. obviously, if you go this route, you want to test it before trying it on them. we just skip the warming and they don't seem to mind at all especially since i show them in the morning all the stuff that came out!

kijip
09-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I actually just read an article a few weeks ago saying we shouldn't do anything with ear wax; don't try to remove it, but I can't remember where I read it.

Since mine gets bad enough to limit my hearing (no joke!) I have to use Debrox from time to time but I never use q-tips or try to push/reach into the ear. Excessive wax can harden/become impacted. Debrox is what my ped recommended occasionally for T's as well. If it did not affect my hearing, I'd leave it alone.

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 08:44 AM
[quote=randomkid]I just need to be more vigilant with the drops so it doesn't buildup.

[quote]

I think that's the key. Once it's really built up, you're pretty much out of luck.

MamaKath
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
..and for adult ear wax please never NEVER use ear candling....a very dangerous and ineffective practice.

Wow! I had always heard good things about ear candling for adults. I am glad I am reading this.

I was going to suggest drops right after a bath/shower and before bed. Usually it softens the wax and allows it to drain out during the night. My kdis and I have very waxy ears and this works well.