PDA

View Full Version : Why did/do you choose Montessori preschool?

kusumat
09-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I am currently researching on the preschool and noticed that there were several types of them. Montessori, Played based, Teacher led? What made you pick one that others? Pros and cons? Please share with me your experience. I am leaning toward morning session than the full day one. 5 days or 3 days a week? DD will be 3.5 next fall. TIA!

kedss
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
hi-
We didn't do Montessori, but our son is very happy in his second year of a co-op preschool, the parents are very much involved, basically we are asst teachers, as a parents is there every day to assist the lead teacher, and we help make decisions on how the school is run. Last year he was a little over 3.5 years when he started going 3 days a week from 9-11:45, and he was ready! Didn't have any issues with separation stuff, and he's been at home with me from day one. I know the Montessori schools in my area, as I had worked in one, and had researched the others, but price was an issue, and I like our decision very much. This year he is going from 9-12, then 4 days a week he stays at school for aftercare from 12-1:30, and the parents run that program, and I help out a couple days a week.

Asianmommy
09-17-2008, 10:27 AM
We chose a Montessori program because we liked how the kids are allowed to learn at their own pace. The kids work individually on the materials of their own choosing and are guided by the teachers. They spend time outdoors and learn about things in nature, such as the parts of a flower. They draw maps of different countries, discuss holidays from around the world, and sing songs in several different languages. They focus on concrete learning. They learn math by counting beads. They practice tracing letters made of sand paper before moving to a pencil. At lunchtime, they set the table, pour their water, put away their dishes, and learn about grace & courtesy. I would recommend visiting several different types of schools to get a feeling for what programs you like. You can also check out a book from the library to learn more about the Montessori Method.

KBecks
09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I looked at several preschools in the area, including a play based school and a Montessori preschool. I think I visited 5 preschools and had leads on a few others. I started reading last Fall and my oldest started this fall.

I think we had a few good options for preschool, but I ended up choosing Montessori school because I like the fact that it promotes independence, it give my son the freedom to choose his activities, and there's less of a forced schedule -- line up now, sit here now, go potty now, etc. etc. etc. I liked the traditional preschool but it was more of a scheduled, now you do this activity type of structure, and I liked the play-based school, but it also had more adult leading the child -- come here and make this painting this exact way -- the rest of the time was free play but I was concerned my nearly 4 year old would be bored with just toys. He seemed ready for more, but not a - sit here and learn this letter sound now type academic program.

We're only in the third week and still transitioning -- school is a big change.

Links:
http://www.slate.com/id/2166489/pagenum/all/#page_start

There is also a Montessori forum at mothering.com with more resources.

BeachBum
09-17-2008, 03:00 PM
We thought we were going to send our DS to a Montessori school.There were several things I really liked about it (Asianmommy described many of them).

But ultimately we decided it wasn't for us, because of the "pretend thing". When I asked the director about the schools stance on pretend play, and she told me "oh we're very liberal here. If we see them pretending we don't make them stop. We just make sure to explain to them that what they are doing isn't real." I knew it just wasn't for us. We are a family that takes the space ship to starbucks a few times a week, and often fishes for dinner off the back of the couch. :D
I hope you find the right fit for your family. I only mentioned it because it was a philosophy I didn't know to ask about until someone mentioned it on a message board.

JBaxter
09-17-2008, 04:14 PM
We choose it because it was the only one we could get Nathan in at his age. He started at 2y9months and really needed a preschool setting way from me. He was potty trained but would not have needed to be. We liked the school and kept him there.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't go Montessori b/c there wasn't one close enough. My big things were wanting a play based, developmental program. A professor at my university also ran the university's child development center (preschool/ day care) and she totally shaped my beliefs about child education.

If a school required potty training by X date she told us that was a red flag that they were not a developmental program so I used that to weed things out. Worked well for us since ds didn't pt till he was almost 4yo. :) Not that that pt issue is the be all and end all but it was a useful tool for me to narrow down my choices.

Our preschool was based out of a synagogue. We are not Jewish but they were very welcoming. It was a good experience. There was no teacher turn over at all (lat teacher that left was years ago).

Ds2 will be going to a preschool at a university that is also developmental and play based. Ds1 did kindergarten there and I thought it was awesome.

Beth

hillview
09-17-2008, 09:14 PM
We picked Montessori for a few reasons:
- a friend who is a child psych suggested he might really be a good fit.
- we observed a class and it was really a good fit -- very orderly and serene which seemed like a place DS would enjoy
- we went to another preschool and got a very different vibe off of it and it didn't seem like a place DS would enjoy (too loud and overwhelming)
- we were excited about the multiage class room
- teachers have been there for years and years
- DS loves projects and the freedom to do what he wants to do

We are less than a month into it but it seems great. DS has had a rough transition but the school has been wonderful.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

denna
09-18-2008, 02:48 AM
Our son is in Traditional Montessori and he loves it. We chose Montessori after some research into the curriculum and method. We had the option of play based/ traditional but after observing both schools we chose traditional for 2 reasons. 1 the play based one was basically a glorified daycare (the one we observed) and 2 it had none of the discipline/ structure that the traditional has.

Our Montessori has taught our son not only academics (from counting, to ABCs to prewriting skills) but also how to respect his belongings (put his toys away, and take care of them) to respecting himself, others and authority figures.

The big thing that made me chose this type of Montessori was going into the classroom and seeing how content the children were, how clean the classroom was and how quiet it was. Every toy was in its place and the children are extremely well behaved.

Surprisingly the price for our Montessori was very reasonable (cheaper than daycare).

I hope if you chose a Montessori your experience will be as wonderful as ours has been.

Good Luck!

pinkmomagain
09-18-2008, 07:27 AM
I chose Montessori for my 1st dd....it was a bit of a drive, but she is very bright and I felt Montessori would allow her to go at her own pace academically. Socially, she had been in daycare for her first 3 years so she understood rules and routines already.

For my 2nd, I wanted to stay more local to get to know people in our town. Turns out she had many developmental issues and really needed more play based stuff and socialization so our co-op was right for her. They helped to identify her issues and were very accommodating of her SEIT at the time.

My 3rd is now at the co-op. Just started. My 3rd is also bright, but needs socializtion as her siblings are much older...and I just love the environment of the co-op and the kind of families it attracts.