PDA

View Full Version : best place to order coloring books and other books

mominmarch
09-17-2008, 11:15 AM
DD is 18 months old and is getting very passionate about books. When I was a child, my mother would take us to the local library and we would check out 15 books at a time, and probably owned very few books as children. But I work full time, and find it hard to get to the library and have the time to really pick out books. Plus, I have been encouraged to try coloring with her and I thought coloring books would be fun.

Are B&N and Amazon the "go to" online places, or are there hidden less expensive secrets. I would love to find a service where you could pay full price for a number of books and get some free as "members" like you could do with CD's when I was growing up. Any great steals on good children's book websites?

Jenny_A
09-17-2008, 01:03 PM
I've found our local Dollar Tree to have best coloring books. I'm not sure about where to order books online. Maybe more will chime in. I wouldn't pay a lot for coloring books though!

Jenny

Tondi G
09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
I just found a couple of books in the 1 dollar spot at Target.. I think they are Sesame Street themed and they are for letters and number... they have coloring pics and then a space below that has lines and examples for writing letters. I have found good simple coloring books at the 99 cent store and some more activity/coloring books at Costco!

as far as regular reading books are concerned a lot of people have been quite happy with the site sortfloorbooks.com... the prices are good... some have a mark on the cover etc but as long as you are not giving them as gifts it is all good. Costco also often has good packages of little golden books, or 4 dr seuss board books or disney themed board books or curious george books etc.

ett
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
www.bookcloseouts.com and www.sortfloorbooks.com are great sites for closeout books. There is also usually a discount code floating around. Selection is hit or miss but those are great places to stock up on lots of book for cheap.

Besides, B&N and amazon, Borders now has their own website. You can use the coupons they send out weekly online and there is free shipping if you ship to store.

www.overstock.com and www.deepdiscount.com also carries a lot of books. Their prices are not as good as bookcloseouts or sortfloorbooks but they may be slightly better than amazon.

Lots of places sell coloring books - Target, Costco, AC Moore/Michaels, drugstore. If you're not picky about quality or subject, you can get them just about anywhere.

Costco, Marshalls, TJ Maxx are good B&M places to get discount books.

There is a Children's Book of the Month club, but I've heard mixed reviews about it. I think some of their books are special book club editions and shipping can be quite high. I feel it's not worth it since there are lots of other sources to get discounted kids book.

With the library, I usually reserve books I want on their website and then I just pick them up when they arrive.

s7714
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I usually hit up the 99¢ Store or Dollar Tree for coloring books. (My younger DD was absolutely thrilled last month when we found a lone mega-thick Christmas coloring book at the 99¢ Store. Christmas coloring in August--what could be better? :ROTFLMAO: ) In my house we go through coloring books SO fast I can't bring myself to shell out full retail for one! We also print out print-and-color things from various websites and bind them together to make DIY coloring books.

The sites the PP mentioned (sortfloorbooks and bookcloseouts) are my favorites as well for regular books. I have gotten some coloring books from bookcloseouts for around a $1 each, but their coloring book section can sometimes be slim pickings.

Bean606
09-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I am bad about returning books to the library as well, and there is always a danger of damage when my son gets his hands on a book. So, I get all our books and coloring books from kidsurplus.com; overstock.com, or sortfloorbooks if you are not looking for a specific title - they don't always have as extensive a selection as sites dedicated to books. I also have found some coloring books at closeout stores and dollar stores. But, for the most part, I just give my son plain paper or construction paper and crayons to color with. I reserve amazon and b&N for gifts for others who may wish to make a return or if I can't find the specific title I am looking for at one of the other places, which tend to be less expensive. I also go to our library's book sale twice a year where they sell gently used books for 25 cents each. I stock up on beautiful books for the year for about $5. Good luck!

Twoboos
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Re: coloring books, you can also google "coloring pages" or a certain theme coloring pages and get tons of hits to print out yourself! Great for when your DC is going through a phase that might be hard to find a certain coloring book for (for ex: christmas in august, as someone else mentioned).

missym
09-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I just did a search at SortFloorBooks by using "coloring" as the title, and came up with quite a few inexpensive books. Many of them are for older kids, but I saw Hello Kitty and Weebles.

Another great site for coloring and activity books is Dover Publications. Again, many of them are for older kids (and grownups!). Here's a link to the bargain coloring books for beginners.
http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-bargain-bin-children-s-books-beginner-s-coloring-books.html
If you sign up for their email list, they often send out coupon codes.