PDA

View Full Version : closet organizer instead of dresser in kid's room?

MommytoEliana
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Has anyone done just a closet organizer in their dc's room and skipped a dresser/chest? We're going to be putting in an organizing system in DD's closet (Container Store opens next month, so I'll be checking out the Elfa system), and I'm wondering if she'll need a dresser, too. I'm pretty sure we can get away with just the closet organizer for a while, but how about down the road?

Any BTDT experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

citymama
09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
That's exactly what we do. We don't have the space for a dresser. We got this BRU Koala Baby closet organizer (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2267137) as a baby shower gift, and we're still using it as the primary organization system for our 2.5 yr old! Absolutely love it - don't let the brand name turn you away, it is really a great product. I also have an under-crib organizer box (from Container Store) which helps store the smaller stuff. And we hang dresses, jackets, sweaters from the closet rod in DD's closet. Seems to work like a charm, and saves space too.

BeachBum
09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
We are expecting and re-organizing at our house so closet space has been on our minds as well.
I think we are going to put a dresser (or drawer system) into the closet. I can't imagine hanging most of DS's clothes. That just seems like double work since we don't have hanging space near our dryer.
DS is 3, and up until this point we've used a dresser for in season clothes and the closet for out of season and misc. Now we need to cram more stuff in the closet!

Melaine
09-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I think it's a GREAT idea. Now that our girls are older, I am thinking we'll need to move the dresser out anyway, because once they are in toddler beds and in the room by themselves at night, they'll have free reign, and I'm afraid they could pull the dresser onto themselves. So anything you could store in the closet sounds great to me...

MommytoEliana
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the responses! Yes, we're planning to put some drawers in the closet with the organizer, as well as hanging space and maybe some shelves. (It's not a walk-in, but it's a decent-size standard closet.) For the last year her few things that work better in drawers have been in the dresser in DS's room. All I have in there of hers are jammies, undies, socks, tights, and swimsuits. I prefer to hang up her outfits, and if we put some shelves in the closet, I can put sweaters and hats on those to make them easily visible to her. It seems like the more easily accessible things are, especially at this age, the more likely they are to get used.

It's not like we can't add a dresser a few years down the road if we need to; it's just that if we can get away without one, putting a full-size bed in her room while still having some play room will be more feasible.

jvs195
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I installed Elfa in all of our closets and LOVE it! I think they usually have a sale in Sep or Oct (and again in Jan). DS doesn't have room for a dresser so I have all his clothes in bins on the shelves (plus some hanging). I got the nice vinyl ones with patterns from Marshalls/Home Goods. Easy to put away the laundry and looks nice.

M&Mmom
09-17-2008, 06:15 PM
When we moved into our house the room we gave to DD had shelves and rods in the closet so we just used that. Most of DD's clothes are folded on the shelves with the dresses and coats hanging. Now we have a three drawer bedside table that holds her socks and undies and tights (used a basket in the closet before). Love it so much I installed a similar system in DS's closet when he was born. The one we bought came from Home Depot.

pastrygirl
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Yup, that's what we did! We got some pieces from Lowe's. It has 3 drawers, two levels for hangers (though I can't use the bottom level since my son pulls the clothing down), and a bunch of shelves. We plan to do the same thing if/when he moves into the other bedroom if we have another baby. I don't miss the dresser at all. It's one less babyproofing thing that I have to worry about!

mytwosons
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Yep!

We did a closet maid system; I think I found the design on their website. It has two levels, lots of shelving space, 2 deep drawers, and 2 shallow. It fits a TON of stuff! Actually, way too much stuff, since we keep putting "extra" stuff found around the house in that closet. I also have about 2-3 yrs worth of outgrown clothes stored in it! I really need to post stuff to swap...

ECMom
09-19-2008, 09:10 PM
We have a Closetmaid laminate system. My husband installed it himself so it's not too difficult. You can get them at Lowe's or Home Depot. As the PP mentioned you can design one on the Closetmaid website.