PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV shows for 1st graders?

Asianmommy
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
My older DD is now in 1st grade and is getting too big for Dora. She still likes the Backyardigans, but I'm so not ready for Hanna Montana and High School Musical. What shows are good for early grade schoolers?

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
We are loving PBS Kids. Cyber Chase,and Word Girl are the favorites! Super Why is pretty good. We haven't tried Reading Rainbow yet.

He had been watching Nickelodeon- Spongebob, Fairly OddParents and Jimmy Neutron. I much prefer the PBS Kids' shows but admit that some of the Nick ones aren't terrible in small doses. :)

ETA- Beth's post reminded me of how much ds loves "Dinner Impossible" on the food Network. He will watch a lot of shows on that channel, in fact.

Beth

egoldber
09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, my second grader is still happy to watch what her younger sister watches, so I count myself lucky in that regard.

But for older kids, things she likes are:

Pokemon (the love of her life right now)
Cyberchase
Fetch with Ruff Ruffman
Sid the Science Kid

She still likes Mr Rogers too.

Other non-kid shows she enjoys are:

Jon&Kate+8
Unwrapped
How It's Made

any sort of decorating or design show on HGTV

cmo
09-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi-5 on TLC, and Sid the Science Kid (new show) on PBS are big hits at our house!

kedss
09-17-2008, 04:47 PM
i ditto pbs kids, Reading Rainbow is great, I still loved watching the original Mr Rogers, my son watched them when he was much younger, but they are geared more toward 1st grade, and up, though younger kids and their grownups can find good stuff from them. :)

eta we dont have a tv anymore, otherwise we'd still be watching ;)

octmom
09-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Another new (I think) PBS Kids show that my kids like is Martha Speaks. It's about a dog who can talk after eating alphabet soup. :) I think a first grader would like it, but I can't be sure since my kids are younger.

ETA: DS also loves Arthur on PBS Kids. I think it's not too babyish for first graders.

MichelleRC
09-17-2008, 05:11 PM
My 6 y.o. still likes all the shows on Noggin, Little Einsteins, anything on the Food Channel and the weather.

MelissaTC
09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
In addition to some of the popular shows on Noggin, PBS and Playhouse Disney, DS has become a huge fan of the Jetix shows on Disney, specifically the Monster Buster Club and Phineas & Ferb.

kijip
09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
All T wants to watch now is This Old House type shows, Nature type shows and Christina Cooks on PBS (a cooking show, not a kids show). Since we don't have TV at home, he watches them at Grandma and Grandpa's houses. At a friend's house he saw WonderPets and seemed to like it. He also watches Auther when at another friend's house. That seems pretty decent for a 5-7 year old set. I don't have a girl, but I am so not into the teenybopper stuff for kids that are barely out of toddlerhood, so I understand. :)

caleymama
09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
DD - 1st grade also and just turned 6 is still a fan of Clifford, Dragon Tales, and other shows like that that she's been watching for a long time. She also in the past 6-9 months or so has become a big fan of Reading Rainbow and Between the Lions. Super Why is hit or miss depending on the episode. She pretty much only watches PBS kids as far as kid TV goes since we haven't had full cable in over a year. I've heard good things about Sid the Science Kid but we haven't caught it yet - I should set up my Tivo now while I'm thinking about it!

Also, she LOVES Zoboomafoo, which I think used to be a PBS kids show. We have several of the videos and both DDs are big fans (DH and I enjoy watching it with them too). We also have a Strawberry Shortcake DVD ("Play Day Suprise") that isn't too bad. I think it's on TV on the weekens at some point but I'm not sure. We sometimes get videos of TV shows from the library and she & her little sister enjoy Little Einsteins too.

We're not making any move towards Hannah Montana or HSM. She has heard of them and if she's curious about them we talk about them but I'm not pushing them and she's not asking for them. I'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Momof3Labs
09-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Another one that my almost-6yo DS loves that hasn't been mentioned is Bindi the Jungle Girl. It's pretty educational about different animals, though I personally find it a little creepy how much footage there is of the Crocodile Hunter in there (and the talk of him as if he's still alive). DS doesn't know the difference, it's just my little thing.

octmom
09-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Another one that my almost-6yo DS loves that hasn't been mentioned is Bindi the Jungle Girl. It's pretty educational about different animals, though I personally find it a little creepy how much footage there is of the Crocodile Hunter in there (and the talk of him as if he's still alive). DS doesn't know the difference, it's just my little thing.

I have only seen that show once and I could not get past that. It gave me the willies.

caleymama
09-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Yes - I forgot about this one! DD really liked it before we got rid of the channel it is on. She does know Steve Irwin is dead but I don't recall it being an issue when she watched (she might not have known at that point - I can't remember exactly).

maestramommy
09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Dora loves Super Why and Dragon Tales. I think it's really for older kids since it's got reading in it.

Momof3Labs
09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I have only seen that show once and I could not get past that. It gave me the willies.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one!!

Asianmommy
09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks so much, everyone, for all of your great recommendations. I'll have to set my DVR!

supercalifragilous
09-18-2008, 10:56 AM
DD is 5.5y/o and loves Between the Lions and Bindi the Jungle Girl.

I still severely limit her TV so she's ecstatic to watch it any way she can, really. For a special treat, I'll let her watch Hannah Montana episodes and High School Musical DVDs. I'm extremely picky about what I let her watch--there are a lot of things on kids shows that I wouldn't want her to imitate/emulate (like doing breaking the rules/mischievous behavior and getting away with it, doing things behind parents' back).

She'll watch most shows on Food Network or HGTV too, but now that she knows that other "kid" shows are out there, that's what she'll whine for. Unfortunately for me, she loves Rachael Ray, though!

MamaKath
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Cyberchase
Fetch with Ruff Ruffman
Sid the Science Kid
Clifford
Little Einstien's

Animal Planet- Animal Stars and Animal Home Videos (not sure of the actual names)

Iron Chef, how its Made, Mythbusters
ETA- During the school week there is little to no tv for the kids. The weekends they watch some and we usually try to rent a family movie.