PDA

View Full Version : More book recommendations please!

s7714
09-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Summer is over and I've finished off a whole bunch of the books that were on my reading list. (I've ended up with some time to kill sitting in the car between my two DDs' school pick ups and drop offs!) I need some new recommendations! :love-retry:

I recently finished:
The Rest of Her Life by Laura Moriarty -- loved this one and totally recommend it, especially if you're a mom of DDs! Not a lighthearted book, but a thought provoking one. I checked out her other book The Center of Everything to read as well.

The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by by Don Robertson -- thanks for recommending it Katie (kijip)! Have you read anything else of his by chance?

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck -- read it for my book club. Liked it, but I like the female cultural perspective in Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See much better.

Ten Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer -- another one for my book club. I started off liking it a lot, but wasn't that impressed by the end.

DH is trying to get me to read the Odd series by Dean Koontz, but I want other ideas too.

So what are you reading??? :D

kijip
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread by by Don Robertson -- thanks for recommending it Katie (kijip)! Have you read anything else of his by chance?

:) So glad you liked it!

I have not read anything alse by him at all.

My book rec shortcut is Nancy Pearl, a librarian that is featured on my local NPR station. She has been on different national NPR shows too. She writes books of reccomendations called Book Lust. I know I heard about The Greatest Thing since Sliced Bread from her segment. http://www.nancypearl.com/ has a lot of good book information.

Sadly, all I am reading these days in book form is titled along the lines of Fundraising in a Recession and Fundraising for Social Change. :ROTFLMAO:

overcome
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Several of my friends have highly recommended Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Book-1-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316160172

My goodness...it has a 4 1/2 star rating on amazon with over 2000 reviews!!

I just started the first chapter. It is the 1st in a series of 4. Although it is about a bunch of teenage vampires, my friends assure me it is not gory or gross. We'll see.

I also want to read Barbara Kingsolver's latest
http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Vegetable-Miracle-Year-Food/dp/0060852569/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221691888&sr=1-1
about how they lived off the land for a year.

ilfaith
09-17-2008, 06:55 PM
My book club just finished "The Thirteenth Tale" by Diane Setterfield.

I'm planning to squeeze in "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger (a book enjoyed by my book club before I joined) before I reread our next selection "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt (which I read years ago when it first came out).

s7714
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
She writes books of reccomendations called Book Lust.

:ROTFLMAO: Books of book recommendations? LOL! You can't get much more bookwormy than that! ;) I'll definitely check out her site, thanks for the link!

ETF typo

s7714
09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Bah, double post!

s7714
09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Several of my friends have highly recommended Twilight by Stephenie Meyer My goodness...it has a 4 1/2 star rating on amazon with over 2000 reviews!!

Yeah, I'm like 96th on the waiting list for that one at my library!

wellyes
09-17-2008, 07:54 PM
A few I've enjoyed recently:

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
This is an entertaining page-turner set in a circus during the Depression

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer
A coming-of-age story for a young woman - she is about to break up with her boyfriend when he gets into a terrible accident. Well-written.

The Book of Air and Shadow by Michael Gruber
Very literary novel about rumors of an undiscovered Shakespeare play, interesting experimental narrative structure.

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
About love and friendship between women, very very cleverly modernizing Jane Austen themes.

Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris
For cubicle farm workers. It's told in the second person (I think that's what it's called.... told from a collective point of view / the "we" perspective). It is savagely funny but also has surprising heart.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Memoir about getting back to life after a divorce, but it's not at all depressing. If you're a seeker, you'll identify with this writer. If you're not, you'll still be jealous of her book deal that let her explore the pleasures of India, Indonesia and Italy for a year.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I'm like 96th on the waiting list for that one at my library!

Better than me- I am #434 on the waiting list!

Beth

bubbaray
09-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm jealous. I can't remember the last time I read a book from cover to cover. Let alone fiction. Sigh. I"m lucky if I get to read the big headline from the newspaper these days.

I hate full moons.

overcome
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
This is an entertaining page-turner set in a circus during the Depression

Oh yes, yes, yes! I loved this book. I read it this summer.

bubbaray...don't feel bad. I used to read constantly. Now I have to really make an effort to steal 15 minutes (which turns into 30) before bed to read. I always end up staying up too late.

Asianmommy
09-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I liked the Thirteenth Tale, as well. The Secret History is good. So is The Glass Castle.

kboyle
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
what do you like to read? i'm a HUGE reader, but i can't get into lots of the recent best sellers...i'm not a "womanly" book reader.

i can suggest some authors that i like though :)

Suspense:
James Patterson (recently read Sail, very good, Beach Road was my fave (he also has a Beach House that i haven't read)

James Grippando (awesome writer, similar James Patterson, start with Got the Look, great book, its in the middle of a 7 or so book series, but it's a great way to suck you in and you dont feel lost about story...not a series storyline, just main character)

Sandra Brown (she used to write romance and changed to suspense/mystery type books with romance thrown in, she has a new best seller out that was pretty darn good, i've read all her suspense books and a few romance. I loved White Hot)

Karin Slaugher (very suspense type book, i wouldn't say it's harsh but rape, white supremacy, and other hot topics pop up...very easy to get sucked in)

Kate White (light mystery, main character works for a glamour women's magazine and comes across murders and decides to help solve them, newest best seller Lethally Blonde is great)

Chick Lit:
Megan Crane (Frenemies is pretty hilarious)

Emily Giffin (her Something Borrowed/Something Blue/BabyProof trilogy is really cute, engagement to wedding to baby. i just finished her new book Love the One you're With (not in above series) and it was a great & easy read...very easy to relate to her characters)

Joanne Fluke (cutesy mystery books that have about 10 cookie recipes thru out the book. main character owns a bake shop and keeps coming across dead bodies, very light reading and pretty comical.)

these are my top authors and other than Fluke & Patterson i've read all the other author's books

Momof3Labs
09-17-2008, 11:12 PM
I loved Water for Elephants, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and Escape (Carolyn Jessup) (the last two are particularly interesting juxtaposed). But I can't talk our book club into any of those.

For book club, we read Eat, Pray, Love (couldn't get past page 47), A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard. I can't really recommend any of those if your reading time is rare and precious, though Million Little Pieces was interesting if not gritty.

For chick lit, I just read 20 Times a Lady. I thought that it was cute, especially if you got married a little later in life (the main character is 29-30 and unmarried).

lowrioh
09-18-2008, 01:00 AM
Books I love are:
Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Namesake-Jhumpa Lahiri
This much I know is true-Wally Lamb
Red Tent-Anita Diamant
Water for Elephants
Chain of Voices-Andre Brink
Ancestor Stones-Aminatta Forna
The Other Boleyn Girl-Phillipa Gregory (a bit of mind candy but a really good read)
The Zoo Keepers Wife-Diane Ackerman

sail731
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I must read anything that comes out by Jodi Piccoult. I love her books. Also, I am a big fan of James Patterson. I just wish I had time to read more!

deenass
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
My book club just read No Second Chance by Harlan Coban - I COULD not put it down! I stayed up late to finish it. This book made my heart race it was so exciting! (And I'm usualyy a chick lit / historical fiction / autobiography kind of girl!)