PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a son in cub scouts?

daisy1234
09-17-2008, 08:09 PM
My son is in first grade and would love to join the scouts. I am really concerned about time commitment. We have soccer 2 nights a week and a game on Sunday. CCd and church Sun as well. It seems like a lot of fun...I am just not sure as I have no idea what all is involved? Any insight? of course at the school assembly all DS heard was that you get to shot bb guns and bow and arrows! Of course what boy wouldn't want to join at 6 years old! WE went online and showed him that is is so much more...please share your experiences! thanks!

LBW
09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Our oldest is in first grade, too, and he just attended his first Cub Scouts meeting. Our local pack hold one large group meeting a month with all of the cub scouts (so, 1st through whatever grade). Then, each smaller Den (4-5 cub scouts and their parents) have 1-2 meetings per month. Those are set by the Den leader. So, it doesn't seem like too much of a time commitment yet. Of course we are just beginning, so who knows how I'll feel about it in a few months. DS had a great time at the pack meeting.

I think a lot depends on your local pack/den.

deannanb
09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
our son is now a Boy Scout (and in 7th grade) -

cub scouts met about once a month for Den meetings (4-6 boys) and then once a month in the evening for the Pack meetings (10-15 Dens).

Not much time commitment -
I think he went on one or two campouts.

towards the end, DS was not happy with cub scouts - kind of boring -
but Boy Scouts has been fun - so if your kids get burnt out on being a Cub - don't give up hope that Boy Scouts is fun!