PDA

View Full Version : What would be in your dream kitchen?

smzapalac
09-17-2008, 10:19 PM
If you could have a kitchen of your dreams, what would it be like? Top of the line appliances, granite, stainless, the list goes on and on. What would you have?

wencit
09-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Ooh, a girl can dream, right? My kitchen would probably look very similar to Ina Garten's, LOL! A granite countertop so that I could work directly on the large, flat surface with easy cleanup afterwards. Tons of counter space. Stainless steel appliances with at least two ovens! Every Thanksgiving, I get jealous of people with two ovens, as I struggle to share oven space with my turkey, stuffing, potatoes, pies, casseroles, etc. Two dishwashers -- one by the regular sink, and one next to the sink in the island. We rented a luxury home a few months ago, and it was really nice to have 2 dishwashers. Cabinets with drawers that slide in/out/around so that I don't have to dig for stuff in the back. A professional-grade stove top with built-in grill. In said luxury home, I couldn't believe how strong the gas flame was compared to my dinky one at home -- must have had a gazillion BTUs.

Of course, I'd need a sugar daddy husband to pay for all this, too, because there's just no way we'd be able to afford this on DH's salary alone! :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-17-2008, 10:49 PM
LOL My cook and my housekeeper, of course!!! My professional shopper might be in there hanging out also :bouncy:

Seriously, this is going to sound ridiculous, but I feel totally content with my kitchen right now. When I was in grad school, I bought this house and rented out rooms to other grad students. Random friends of the exbf helped redo the kitchen and the bathrooms. I took out a home equity loan (that DH paid off :) ) and I put basically everything nice I could rationalize, but I worked hard to get discounts on it all - with the Lowe's/HD movers programs, etc. Stainless GE Profile appliances through a friend's work discount - even the dishwasher lined w/SS, the Advantium oven, the larger fridge with the nicer icemaker. Yes, I wish I had double ovens, but the Advantium works as a regular oven also. I chose Silestone counters in my favorite navy :love5: :love5: :love5: and budget-friendly Mills Pride cabinets that have a TON of features- like the pull-out pan drawers, huge pull-out pantry drawers, glass corner cabinets, etc. The whole project was not that expensive considering a lot of the work was done for free, and I'm enjoying NOW - and for the last 5 years instead of just dreaming and lusting and waiting. Several family members are redoing their kitchens with high-end stuff when they've been living with totally outdated things for 13-25 years. What a bummer that they have hated their kitchens for that long and had to prepare gazillions of meals while waiting.

Ok, one thing I WISH my kitchen had is the instant cold filtered and instant hot water dispensers at the sink. Those could come in REALLY handy. Under my sink was already crowded with the deeper sinks, disposal and dishwasher hoses, so I couldn't get it easily. I'm so glad DH works hard to keep our kitchen clean every day. That man is great!

belovedgandp
09-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Huge island with room to work on the work side and stools on the outside.

I just did my kitchen remodel with Corian countertops, double oven, and french door fridge over freezer - so I have a lot of the dream elements just not the square footage.

CAM7
09-17-2008, 11:58 PM
What would you have?

Harry Connick Jr wearin' nothing but an apron.

It would help if he was pouring me a glass of wine... and had a plate of sushi for me.

He can wash the windows too...

kijip
09-18-2008, 12:03 AM
White bead board cabinets, eat in breakfast nook, not too big, double ovens, gas cooktop, concrete counters. Wood stove (in addition to regular stove and oven) in my wildest dreams. So not happening in this house besides maybe the cabinets and countertops if we stay a long time and get bored enough to take on the refacing.

What I don't "want" is what I have. What I have is nice and very popular but it is dark wood, dark granite and stainless appliances and not my taste overall- I like light and cheery! We had to buy the fridge and chose black over stainless (which goes ok with the other stainless appliances because they have black accents and handles) because I don't like smudgy fingerprints and I like magnets. :) I guess I would have white or funky colored appliances in my white cabinet kitchen. But every house we looked at had the same kitchen more or less.

KpbS
09-18-2008, 12:03 AM

It would help if he was pouring me a glass of wine... and had a plate of sushi for me.

Hilarious!!!!! :ROTFLMAO:

BeachBum
09-18-2008, 06:32 AM
We are remodeling our kitchen right now. While it's not going to be a "dream" kitchen, it will be very nice and the best we can do with the space we have to work with.
I'm doing custom cabinets, with a lot of the features
marble countertops on the perimeter
walnut topped work island with seating
apron front farm sink
dish drawers
induction cook top
speed cook oven

What I wish we could include
overall bigger
walk in pantry
30 in paneled frig and freezer columns
snack zone, with a frig drawers, counter and cabinet out of the traffic area
inset cabinets
prep sink and counter

If the OP is really looking for inspiration for her dream kitchen, check out the finishedkitchensblog.blogspot.com it is a group effort from the kitchen obsessed at the gardenweb forums :)

kep
09-18-2008, 06:45 AM

:ROTFLMAO:

Melaine
09-18-2008, 07:24 AM
talk about fun....a walk in pantry, Stainless steel, a bar with stools, tile backsplash. I really love that cork floor stuff....tall ceilings. My friend got this AWESOME lightfixture that actually has a bakers wrack (maybe thats the wrong word) to hang all the pots and pans from attached to it!

KBecks
09-18-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm not that fancy, I would like

-- good lighting
-- windows
-- counter space
-- enough cabinet space to have some appliances like a stand mixer or a food processor, but keep them out of the way
-- an eat in area with seating for six, or some sort of island with stools, just a nice place to sit down
-- a speed cook oven
-- large fridge/freezer
-- good pantry storage

If I were to get really fancy I'd have a butlers pantry also for fancy dishes and wine.

I would also have a decorator help choose colors and hardware and accessories add some nice finishing touches to the look. I think I'd like wood floors.

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 08:39 AM
This is one of my favorite topics! DH and I are obsessed with eventually having an amazing kitchen.

1. HUGE- we both like to cook, and we hate being crowded.
2. A giant island, but it has to be all one level- no bar top!
3. I would love love love a fireplace- a lot of the new construction homes here have keeping rooms. If you've never heard of that, it's basically a little sitting room off the kitchen with a fireplace. I lust after a keeping room. :loveeyes:
4. Mixed color cabinentry- I love that individual furniture piece look. Antique-y colors, probably white and black.
5. A 6 burner, gas stove- preferably an old-fashioned style. This we'll actually come close to- we inherited MIL's 1950's O'keefe and Merrit- it's 4 burners with a built-in griddle. We had it restored, and it's waiting for us in storage.
6. Huge fridge, with the double freezer drawers on the bottom.
7. Double ovens, and a warming drawer
8. Cabinents with every cool feature- pull out drawers, etc.
9. Reverse osmosis filter built in.
10. Massive walk in pantry with wood shelves.
11. Technically not part of the kitchen b/c I'd put it elsewhere, but an extra upright freezer.

Someday...... :)

What I have now- an ugly, cheap-o galley style, with crappy white cabinents, green wallpaper, brass fixtures, a teeny little fridge, a piece of junk dishwasher, an electric stove, a lack of cabinent and counter space, a Pur water filter that constantly leaks, NO pantry at all, . LOL

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I really love my kitchen, because we have all the room we need in the kitchen/butler's pantry/breakfast room space, but would like:
-new counters and backsplash (really need this but the quotes are SO high!)
-low-profile fridge that's extra-wide
-hot and cold filtered water immediately available at sink or fridge area
-lazy susan cabinets in the corners and drawers in the lower cabinets
-really nice, pull-out cutting board in the pantry

I'd also like to expose the chimney that backs up our kitchen and build a little island around it. I suppose we don't need that, given the breakfast room, but I think it would be beautiful.

OH, and Harry Connick Jr., too! But I'd want him playing music to me, LOL!

hellokitty
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
DH and I were just discussing this yesterday as we were trying to get dinner on the table.

-Martha Stewart type of pantry, big enough for food AND small appliance storage.
-2 SS (interior) DWs
-Big island for food prep
-Commercial quality gas range with inset area for it with SS walls around it (for splatter) and commercial hood. I do mostly stove top cooking and I cook quite a bit, so I am one of those ppl who would actually get quite a bit of use out of something like this, it's not just for looks.
-Quartz countertops (which we already have and love)
-New cabinets with all of the organizational perks
-Deep double sink, commercial quality
-Lots of lighting
-Window with large sill in front of sink for herbs and other small plants (yeah, I know this is weird, but it's something I've always wanted)
-Area for built in recycling bins
-Roll top desk area. I have friends who have a desk area in their kitchen and I think it is so handy, I spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen, our study is off in another room and not very convenient
-Hot water tap
-Sealed HW floors (ours are currently not sealed, so I have a rug over the kitchen area).
-TV/sitting area right off of the kitchen with built in eating nook for small family meals
-I'd also want natural cherry cabinets with nickel hardware (this is going in my dream house right... so it doesn't have to match my current dark cherry stained house, lol).

KBecks
09-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh, I would also get cabinet panels on the appliances and a German dishwasher.

bethie_73
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
I cook and bake, so... I would have granite counter tops and in the center island (a MUST because I have every appliance known to man, and use them all) it would have a 12 x 12 (or so) marble inlay for my pies, cookies etc.

Dual dishwashers and ovens, pull out cabinets, a walk in pantry, and right now I would have to say Viking appliances (although a sub zero fridge would be pretty nice) the fridge NEEDS platter storage. An under mounted sink, and if not custom cabinets well thought out ones (I have alot of platters and serving pieces as well as specialty pans etc. I want a place for everything)

lizajane
09-18-2008, 09:49 AM

:bighand:

yes, please!!!

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Ooh, I forgot my giant windows into my big backyard, and my wood floors.

I was watching some Dream Kitchens show a while back, and this one family had this false backsplash thing that would pull down and hide all of the small appliances when they weren't in use- it looked just like the actual backsplash. I thought that was brilliant! I hate dragging everything out of cabinents, but I also don't like the look of it all cluttering up the countertop.

lizajane
09-18-2008, 09:52 AM
i like what is IN my kitchen, i just want it rearranged.

have:
stove and oven i like
decent dishwasher i like
enough counter space
enough storage space

want:
more cooking/prep floor space
counter-bar for kids to sit and do homework/paint/color
dishwasher moved so the door isn't in the way when i open it and put dishes away
NEW FRIDGE!!! i have one from 1986! it is awful!!!
new countertops- i have laminate that is falling apart AND ugly! granite, please!
reconfigured pantry that is easier to organize- a bit larger would be nice
washer/dryer NOT in kitchen! i hate having my laundry out for everyone to see!!
new sink sprayer thingy, mine broke (new sink would be nice!)

pb&j
09-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Big pantry, with place for large pot/small appliance storage. And multiple recycling bins.
Gigantic countertop workspace.
Gas oven/range
Super quiet dishwasher.
Better cabinet organization - slide out trays, for instance. An actual place to store my tupperware!
Big windows (we have these in our current kitchen, and I love it)
Some glass-fronted cabinets to be able to display some of my nice pieces of kitchen stuff, without them being out in the open all the time.

trales
09-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I like my appliances black.
I would like an electric oven with a more powerful gas range than I have right now. - It takes 1 hour to heat my water bath canner

Double oven with convection - we have a lot of events and holidays, I need the space.

Deeper counters so I can fit the mixer, cuisenart, toaster oven and still have room to work

Quartz or granite counters

Love my dishwasher

Island with butcher block to prep on.

More counter space in the triangle between sink, fridge and stove

Bigger, deeper sink with better faucet.