PDA

View Full Version : How long do down comforters last?

mamica
09-17-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm sure it varies, depending on the manufacturer and usage, but I think we might be due for a new one. I know they lose their fluff after a while. I'm sure it will fluff back up when I get it cleaned again, but it seems to have lost its fluff more quickly this time around after the last cleaning. How long before you replace them?

citymama
09-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Funny, I've been wondering the same thing. We splurged on a really nice one from Cuddledown a few winters ago when we were living in New England. No more than 4 or 5 years ago - and now it has totally lost its shape, and no amount of coaxing seems to get it back! One of us is warm, and the other isn't, or our feet are warm but not our torsos. Argh. I should call them and see if they'll replace it, but I'm disappointed that they don't seem to last for years and years as I thought they would!

jgenie
09-18-2008, 02:54 AM
We have one that is sewn into a series of squares so that the down is compartmentalized rather than in one large space. We've had it close to 10 years.

AngelaS
09-18-2008, 06:56 AM
We have one that is sewn into a series of squares so that the down is compartmentalized rather than in one large space. We've had it close to 10 years.

I think mine is over 10 years old, but it's constructed this way too. Mine's from LL Bean I think.

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 09:12 AM
We've had ours forever. They get a hot-water wash twice a year, and fluffed up with tennis balls in the dryer a few more times than that. Never seen any problem.

Twoboos
09-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Funny, I've been wondering this too. Ours is about 10yrs old and most of the fluff has moved to the edges. When we get it cleaned it's better for a while, but then it all migrates again.

Guess I'm going to look into a new one. I've heard good things about LLBean and The Company Store, I think. ANy other recommendations? We're in New England so it has to last!

DomandPedro75
09-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Got ours from Lands End around 1998 and just replaced it in 2005 because the filling was starting to bunch up pretty bad. It was a plain white one with a colored slip cover to take off and wash. Kept us very warm throughout New England and WI winters!

supercalifragilous
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
I've had my Pacific Coast Feather down comforter for 11 years but I do get it cleaned regularly b/c I can't stand that musty feather smell. Ours also has the baffle box construction so the feathers just bunch up in their square, not on one side of the comforter.