PDA

View Full Version : Do you use "Airborne" for colds, etc?

lizajane
09-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I got a cold-snuck up on me- this week and felt awful on Wed. I drank some Airborne yesterday and I already feel a lot better! I took mucinex, too. I gave Airborne to both kids this morning (you break it in half) and took more myself, too. I really think it makes a difference. Even if it is a placebo, who cares!! As long as I feel better!!!

What do you think about it??

supercalifragilous
09-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Airborne taste so I take Emergen-C (not much better, though) with juice, if I have any. I've heard with Airborne that you do have to keep taking it past you 'feeling better' or you're just staving off symptoms and a full-blown cold.

I try to avoid supplements with extra fat-soluble vitamins (A,D,E,K) - Does Airborne have any of these?

wencit
09-18-2008, 11:19 AM
I think there was a big brouhaha last year about the government winning a lawsuit against the manufacturer of Airborne because of misleading labeling or something. I believe the lawsuit effectively claimed that Airborne didn't do anything to fight a cold, despite their claims, so the manufacturer was forced to return consumers' money. Or something like that.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I know many people who swear by it. I believe it contains herbs that are contraindicated for breastfeeding mothers, so I've never bothered.

elizabethkott
09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
We swear by that stuff in our house! I was careful to not take it when pg or bf, though b/c I had heard the same info as Erica about it containing herbs that could be dangerous while pg/bf.

MamaKath
09-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Yes!

Someone also told me that getting a netty pot (sp?) is a must for colds, congestion. I need to try it.

lizajane
09-18-2008, 01:25 PM
I think there was a big brouhaha last year about the government winning a lawsuit against the manufacturer of Airborne because of misleading labeling or something. I believe the lawsuit effectively claimed that Airborne didn't do anything to fight a cold, despite their claims, so the manufacturer was forced to return consumers' money. Or something like that.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I know many people who swear by it. I believe it contains herbs that are contraindicated for breastfeeding mothers, so I've never bothered.

the first time i took it, i was breastfeeding so i consulted a pharmacist before using it and got the a-ok.

maestramommy
09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I don't take anything like that. I think once MIL had a cold while visiting right after Dora was born, so she took some, and she said it did help, but it wasn't magical.

I hardly ever get sick though. If I was getting sick often, I'd probably at least try it.

s7714
09-18-2008, 02:06 PM
We take it on occasion when someone in the house is sick. I got some free samples of the Power Pixies version for kids with the last pack I bought, so I'm going to see if my 5 year old will take those once in a while (she won't drink the regular stuff).

FWIW, be careful about buying the generic versions. I was buying the generic store brand because it was a LOT cheaper until I realized that it had an absolutely ridiculous level of Vitamin A in it. Like 1000% of the recommended DV or something. Can you imagine how much of a Vitamin A overload you'd be getting if you took it several times a day repeatedly! Regular Airborne doesn't have such an outrageous amount of it so I only buy the authentic stuff now.

lisams
09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
We haven't tried Airborne, but we do use Emergen-C and vitamin C when there's something going around the family. Not sure if they work, but it makes me feel like at least I'm doing something to lessen the illness!

srhs
09-18-2008, 03:27 PM
We use and like Airborne. Seems to make a big difference for us when we take it at the first sign of cold or when the other person is sick and germy. DH and I have both had times when we were certain we were getting ill, took Airborne early and regularly, and felt like we avoided the cold.
There was a class-action suit recently, something about their "claims" I think. I still use it though; good experience is my test.

I also tried a generic and was disappointed. I USUALLY buy generic stuff, but this one just was not as effective. It didn't effervesce nearly as much either, which may have been the difference.

When I was pregnant, I didn't take it; I had read the scare was the potential to OD on vitamins (like A) when combined with prenatals and stuff. I have, however, taken it when BFing and skipped my prenatal that day.

(FWIW, my nurse-midwife recommended Zicam when I was sick during pregnancy.)