PDA

View Full Version : dermabond/scar healing =(

calv
09-18-2008, 10:44 AM
My almost 3 YO got a nasty cut. she was running and went head firt into a corner. Rushed off to the DR’s. Thankfully we managed to avoid the ER!

The Dr's really wanted to do stitches but long story short, ended up doing the DERMABOND. Now we’re hoping the cut doesn’t bust open and heals nicely. MY FINGERS are crossed!

She has a gash on her forehead right above her left eye. I hate the thought of her precious little face being scared up. Anyone know of any miracle home remedies or if this stuff works on scars:

http://www.mederma.com/

anyone know of anything w/vitam E?

tnrnchick74
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
The dermabond has LESS liklihood of scarring than stitches and it holds really well. I haven't used Mederma, but I know some people who have and had good results. I've always used plain vit e oil massaged into my scars or pure shea butter and had good luck with that as well. There is a genetic component to scars - if you tend to scar, then your daughter may be more prone to scarring and there isn't much that can be done. But definitely try to massage something once the dermabond is gone!

elephantmeg
09-18-2008, 11:08 AM
I think it is the massaging effort more than anything. I know I've seen ads for mederma for kids. But you need to wait until it has completely healed to do anything IIRC

bubbaray
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
My plastic surgeon told me to not use any Vit. E products on my scars. He had me use a product similar to Mederma (silicone gel), but not until after the 2w check and stitch removal.

mom2ethan
09-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Last Thanksgiving, DD fell and put a gash under her chin that required 6 or 7 stitches. After it had healed, we used Mederma on it and now I cannot even see where the scar was. As previous posters mentioned, I think the massaging was what really helped. The Mederma just made it easier to do (and DD loved the Mederma because it was purple when you first put it on).

I hope your little one is feeling better!

caleymama
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Younger DD had a similar incident last March when she was 3. She bonked her forehead just above her eyebrow on the corner of our coffee table. They closed it with Dermabond at the ER and now, six months later I can see a very small indentation but no actual scar. I tried to be vigilant with sunscreen this summer but never used anything like Mederma on it (meant to, but kept forgetting).

IIRC, the only difference between regular Mederma and the Mederma for kids is the coloring.

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
The dermabond has LESS liklihood of scarring than stitches and it holds really well. I haven't used Mederma, but I know some people who have and had good results. I've always used plain vit e oil massaged into my scars or pure shea butter and had good luck with that as well.

:yeahthat:

As pp's said, wait until the cut is healed before applying anything. Just make sure there is no skin puckering at the site (if there is, call the doc), and that the skin can breathe.

After that, massage with a good oil like vitamin e will help the skin heal and break up scar tissue.

Sorry you and your little one are having to go through this!

AngelaS
09-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I've had great results with Mederma. :)