PDA

View Full Version : Migraines?...

MamaKath
09-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I need info about Migraines.

Yesterday I went to work, started feeling a little funny. Within about an hour I had to go lay down in the dark. I had a severe headache on the right side of my head, was dry heaving, had chills, was just miserable. I was so bad, no one would let me drive home. A co-worker ended up driving me home later. I slept for a bit, and felt much better. I am still not 100%. The sunlight got the headache going again on the way to drive my kids to school. I am home resting today and hope I can get completely rid of it. Still one side of the head. Making me really miserable since I have been having problems with joints on the right side of my body!!! I am so falling apart. Oh and there is family history (mother and sister) of migraines.

So does this sounds like a migraine? What causes them? Do they keep coming or would this be it (I know wishful thinking probably)? How do you avoid them?

KpbS
09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes!! It sounds like a migraine to me. I am susceptible to migraines but they are pretty rare for me. I have found--like you mentioned--the sun can really trigger a migraine for me. I try to avoid the sun when it is rising or setting and it is shining right into my eyes. I played a season of soccer in HS and first noticed it then. Also in college I found that if I left a bldg. from a class in the dark (art history) and walked out into a bright sunny day that would do it. If I take 2 motrin when the very first symptoms of a migraine start I have about a 60-75% chance of avoiding it.

I know a lot of other people have different triggers--caffeine, certain foods like onion, pms, etc. I am sure someone else can add to this....

Hope you get some relief soon

MamaKath
09-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes!! It sounds like a migraine to me.
Thanks for the response. That's what I thought. :-( Hopefully someone else can add to this. I guess I better give my sister a call also, see if this is how hers go.

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a migraine to me, too. The one-sided and light-sensitive nature are pretty typical.

Mine are usually triggered by allergies and amplified by stress. I control them now by avoiding foods I'm allergic to, and meditating when I'm feeling stressed. Btw, stopping bf'ing gave me a week or two of migraines - but that was impossible to avoid!

I have a MaxAlt prescription that works pretty well, but that I use rarely.

bubbaray
09-18-2008, 12:43 PM
That sounds like DH's migraines. He gets them rarely (thankfully), but they seem to have something to do with flying (he often gets them after flying to Europe), so might be altitude or dehydration. Or stress -- he's a nervous flyer.

He's had one at work, a coworker took him to the ER. He had some vision thing, maybe black spots or flashes or something, I can't remember.

I hope this was just a one-off for you and you don't get another! They sound horrible!

ETA: DH has been told they are genetic. His dad gets them too.

lizajane
09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
my mom and sister have migraines. mom is triggered by light, chemical smells (bleach is HUGE!) and stress. my sister's are triggered by stress, as well. mom uses fiornal (sp?) and it works really well for her and with other 'scripts she takes. she also had to reduce her HRT. (which i learned causes migraines on oprah and she made fun of me! and then LATER had to eat her words when she found out the HRT was causing migraines and reducing it changed her life!!! oprah rocks!)

definitely get some great sunglasses, try to get lots of rest, avoid chemicals and check in with your doc for a prescription to have on hand.

sorry you are going through this!!!!

hope you feel better!!!

supercalifragilous
09-18-2008, 11:56 PM
That definitely reeks of migraine to me too. I've been getting migraines since high school, about the time my mom started getting them too.

I'm very sensitive to light; I wear sunglasses even in the bleak wintertime. Unfortunately, the scent of artificial vanilla is a migraine trigger for me; I can detect it anywhere - perfume, room freshener, candles, etc. Real vanilla (as used in cooking) doesn't have the same effect, oddly enough.

I carry Imitrex in my purse, but if I pop some Excedrin or Advil a the very beginning, I can successfully stave it off sometimes. If I get a nap at the beginning, that will work too.

newmomto1
09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I have had frequent migraines (at least several x/week) for 20+ years. They are not always as severe as yours, sometimes they are worse though.
The symptoms you describe DEFINITELY are those of migraine, however...anytime you experience a severe headache that is out of the ordinary for you, you should really consult your doctor.
I am not trying to scare you at all. If it were ME having the symptoms you described....it would just be another day in my life :52: . But, since this is unusual for you, it is definitely worth a call to your MD.
FWIW, I have done more than my share of research on migraines (& seen tons of docs!). There are many cases where people only experience a migraine once, or only once in a while, so don't think this means you'll have them all the time.
Hang in there!!
:hug:

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Yep, that's a migraine. I got my first in college. I'd get them once every couple of years until recently. Now i average about 2or 3 per month.

My triggers are stress, high fat foods, and dairy- especially yogurt. If I take Excedrin Migraine at the onset I can sometimes stave them off. Otherwise, lots of water, fasting, and a good, solid night's rest is the only way to get rid of them.

I saw a neurologist who did an MRI to make sure that something else wasnt' the culprit. He diagnosed them as migraines and told me my treatment options. You probably want to do that. You are likely to get more of them.

hugs. they are terrible.

Alice523
09-19-2008, 02:17 AM
It sounds like a migraine to me, but I'd get in to see my doc to make sure it's not anything else. If it is one, there's no telling whether you'll get them regularly after this. I've had them since the age of 3 (now that I have an almost three year old DS, I don't know how my parents survived!) but the attacks really got awful my senior year of high school, at which point I transferred to a "home and hospital" program to graduate. It was a nightmare. I get them almost daily now, and they vary in severity. Some days, they feel like a really acute headache when other days, I get the full attack with nausea/vomiting, etc. That you mentioned that you "felt funny" before the pain set in is what really made me think of a migraine. I often have an "off" morning and when the pain hits very strongly later that day, I realize that all of it was the beginning of one.

If you end up getting them frequently, go to a neurologist so that you can start treatment. It can take a good amount of time to find what works for you (I still have not found what works for me and I have been actively trying for 10 years) and the sooner you start, the better. The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep track of what you are doing, what you ate, etc. on the day (or day before) you get one. If you're lucky, you will find some triggers that you can avoid in the future.

Good luck! And I'm sorry. :( Migraines are such a bummer.

Melbel
09-19-2008, 06:55 AM
however...anytime you experience a severe headache that is out of the ordinary for you, you should really consult your doctor.
I am not trying to scare you at all. If it were ME having the symptoms you described....it would just be another day in my life :52: . But, since this is unusual for you, it is definitely worth a call to your MD.

:yeahthat:

I have suffered from migraines for about 14 years now, following a car accident. One sided pain, light sensitivity and nausea are all consistent with migraines. I have a prescription for Imitrex, available in injection, nose spray or pill form. Both the injection and nose spray work most of the time, the pills do not for me. On occasion, I can stave one off by catching it early and taking an OTC pain reliever. If your headaches continue, I would keep a log of food, drinks, activities, sleep, menstrual cycle, etc. to be able to figure out your triggers. For nassau, I have phenegran in a gel form from a compounding pharmacy that I just rub into my wrists. I am able to use far less than the normal dosage and achieve relief (not to mention it is far more user friendly than the suppositories since I throw up the pills). For prevention, after years of treatment, I have found it helpful to take a daily mega dose (400 mg) of riboflavin, a water soluable B vitamin.

MamaKath
09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I love all the mamas here, partly because you are such a wealth of info!!! I knew this was one place I could find some info and experience.

I went to the dr. last night. I also talked to my sister. She has the same symptoms, right down to chills (and sometimes fever) and right side of the forehead. When the dr and I were going over my last year we realized that my monthly sinus infections/headaches were most likely milder migraines. I am going in for some blood work this weekend, we'll see from there. Very scary though. I am relieved to know what it is!

MamaKath
09-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I love all the mamas here, partly because you are such a wealth of info!!! I knew this was one place I could find some info and experience.

I went to the dr. last night. I also talked to my sister. She has the same symptoms, right down to chills (and sometimes fever) and right side of the forehead. When the dr and I were going over my last year we realized that my monthly sinus infections/headaches were most likely milder migraines. I am going in for some blood work this weekend, we'll see from there. Very scary though. I am relieved to know what it is!