PDA

View Full Version : How to stop Debt Collectors(?) from calling me (wrong number)?

MarisaSF
09-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Over the past month, I've had one or two mobile phone calls/week from the same phone number. The automated message says "we are trying to locate xx (not my name). If you are not her, press x. If you are her, press y. If you would like to call us back, our number is xxx." I press the "I am not her" button, but it hasn't stopped the calls.

I looked up the number and can't tell if these calls are coming from a legitimate company or if it's some sort of scam.

I called my cell phone carrier. They refunded me some minutes. They gave me the info to the Do Not Call registry, which I'm already on. They said I can sign up to block a certain number, but it is $4.99/month.

Has anyone been in this situation? Is there anything else I can do?

ha98ed14
09-18-2008, 12:57 PM
If you can see what the number is and you know it is the collection company, or another number you don't recognize, can't you just not answer? If they leave a message, check your messages after 7 pm (or whenever your free minutes start.). It really is not your problem since you are not XX (person they are looking for.) You don't have to tell them anything, even that you are "not her." Don't waste your air time. They will stop calling. And if it is someone for you and it is important, they will leave a message.

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 01:07 PM
If you have any details, try contacting the Do Not Call people- you can report violations online IIRC. Also, if you can find an address, you can send a letter telling them to stop, and by law, they must.

maestramommy
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
This happened to us when we were living in our apt. For the entire 6 years. In fact, in the last two years it started to ramp up. Finally Dh called back one of the numbers, and told them whoever they were trying to reach wasn't at this number, and to stop because it was really a nuisance. They finally stopped.

LarsMal
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Answer it next time, or call them back. Tell them NOT to call again (that they have the wrong number) and get the name of the person you spoke with.

It usually takes 24 hours to get it in the system. If they continue to call after the 24 hour limit call them back and tell them you already called once and told them to stop calling and that you are aware of the "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act". That should send them running.

If they are a legit company trying to locate someone, and they think they have the right number, I don't think the Do Not Call will work.

**I have quite a bit of experienc with this, except even though it wasn't me they were trying to get ahold of, it was a family member! The threat of Fair Debt Collections Practices Act solved our problems!!!

Good luck!

ShanaMama
09-18-2008, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem on my house phone. Apparently the people who lived here before us have a lot of debts (and they didn't fwd their mail but that's a whole 'nother story.) IME if you aren't the debtor they won't talk to you- even to tell them not to call anymore. I actually reported one company to the BBB (the other one, lol!) That worked fast. Most recently I called back the number they left and threatened to call the FCC. They were calling like 14 times in a three day period. If you want to make a threat you need to talk fast because they often hang up as soon as you say they have the wrong number.

roobee
09-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a part time job doing collections and it is illegal to call a cell phone number with an auto-dialer without permission.

trales
09-18-2008, 09:21 PM
THis has been happening to our home phone for 5 years. They are less frequent now, but still about every few months, always asking for the same poeple.

MarisaSF
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a part time job doing collections and it is illegal to call a cell phone number with an auto-dialer without permission.

So you think this is a scam company? Any suggestions on what I can do?