PDA

View Full Version : Get ready to LAUGH in my face (re:waxing)

lizajane
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
so i go to get my normal waxing done today- always eyebrows. i have small, deep set eyes and HUGE dark eyebrows. i feel very comfortable admitting that i wax them. i also have lip and chin hair. YUCK, totally embarrasses me. i tell VERY few people IRL that i have to wax my chin.

but today, my waxing gal tells me, "i am so sorry to have to tell you... but this hair is coming out... will you let me do it??" and she was pointing to...

THE INSIDE OF MY NOSE!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

what was i going to do??? tell her that i WANT to have nasty hair coming out of my nose like an old man???? tell her she was wrong and my nose hair is not coming out??? what if i was wrong and she WAS right!?!

so i let her do it.

it is kinda like when someone offers you a breath mint. what if you REALLY NEED a breath mint and they are trying to be your "real" friend???

please tell me i am not the only nasty hairy woman in the world.

tylersmama
09-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh, Liza, I feel your pain. My eyebrows are fine and I bleach my lip hair, but I HATE my chin hair. Blech blech blech, it disgusts me. And, I will even admit, just for you, that I've caught more than one long nose hair lately. :rolleyes:

Twoboos
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh nooooooo! As a woman with irish skin and italian hair (read: lip/chin/brow hair) I am SO SORRY!! As if it's not enough to keep track of the other three, now you need this??

The chin hair is what threw me over the edge. I started lasering once I got too many of those. One is an oddity, 4-5 is a problem.

Sometimes I feel like those cavemen in the Geico commercials...

elektra
09-18-2008, 01:44 PM
k, i totally just went a plucked a bunch of nose hairs after reading this. Not sure how visible they were to the world at large but I could definitely see some that were peeking out. Gross!
So did she wax the inside your nose?! or just pluck?

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I never had a problem, but NOW I do! And it's chin hair and it bothers me to absolutely NO end.

Lasering works?! I'm THERE!

lizajane
09-18-2008, 02:26 PM
k, i totally just went a plucked a bunch of nose hairs after reading this. Not sure how visible they were to the world at large but I could definitely see some that were peeking out. Gross!
So did she wax the inside your nose?! or just pluck?

she waxed it! inside! totally weird. didn't hurt at all. (lip hurts SO bad!!!)

just like PPs, i really, really want laser on my chin. and ladies, we are NOT talking 4-5 hairs... we are talking a dark, scary forest where monsters and goblins live. ewwwwwwwww. i think i was a man in a past life.

Laurel
09-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't personally have the issue, but my waxer has told me that she does it all the time- I've tried to convince DH to go for it, to no avail...

MamaMolly
09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I didn't know they would wax your nose hair. I've recently started sprouting there, too. And plucking there hurts me so bad I cry...and pluck and cry some more. Lately I've used very fine embroidery scissors to trim, but this might drive me right back to the salon.

How much does the lasering cost? I'd love it to be permanently gone!!

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Ok, wait- she waxed the INSIDE of your NOSE?!?! And it didn't hurt? I would think it would hurt like crazy! I'm going to need more details here. LOL Is it just the very tip or what? I have never heard of this before.

The older I get, the hairier I get, so you're definitely not alone. I'm Casper pale, and I have black hair that grows on my lip. It gets worse all the time. I get the chin hairs too, but there are only a few here and there- it's the lip that drives me batty. Oh, and I get a couple on the side of my face too- they show up out of nowhere, and I never see them until I'm in the car where I can't do anything about them- and those ones are BAD- curly and gray! So embarrassing!

Since everyone is confessing, if you're 30-something, how much gray hair do you have? Since DS was born, I've started getting tons, and I can't get it to hold dye, despite my best efforts.

tylersmama
09-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Oh, man, I've had gray hair since college. It's still pretty much disguisable with getting my hair highlighted, but you can see it if you look closely enough. It's mostly at the temples, but it's starting to spread. I don't think I ever saw my mom's natural hair color, and she was 29 when I was born.

ShanaMama
09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
OK I'll admit, my waxing girl did the same thing. I don't even remember if she told me first or just waxed a bit. It was the inside of my nose, just at the very tip. Barely hurt at all.
I've been holding off lasering because of the expense & I wasn't positive about the safety. But the chin hairs are killing me, too. Oh, did I mention I'm not yet 25?!?!

wencit
09-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Since everyone is confessing, if you're 30-something, how much gray hair do you have? Since DS was born, I've started getting tons, and I can't get it to hold dye, despite my best efforts.I don't have the facial hair issue, but I do have TONS of gray hair. Like, 45-year-old lady gray. OK, maybe 50. But my biological age is only 34. :crying: I get it from my dad, who was salt-n-pepper gray by the time he was early 40's. Like a PP, I don't recall seeing him with just his natural hair color.

The thing is, I am totally, utterly, completely freaked out about dying it. I am convinced it's going to give me cancer. Yes, I eat at McDonald's, drink Diet beverages with aspartame, and eat ramen noodles laced with MSG, but that stuff won't kill me, apparently coloring my hair will. :rolleyes: I have no explanation for my logic, but it's just a paranoid fear of mine. So in the meantime, I am stuck with a head full of gray hair. Sigh.

kboyle
09-18-2008, 05:34 PM
i have blk hair and don't have lots of actual gray, but WHITE hairs, ugh...i remember by the time my mom was in her late 30s she was salt & pepper...i'm 28 and will probably be the same.

i get lip & brow done...never even thought about my nose hairs...eek!

Twoboos
09-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Um, I would think the inside-nose waxing would K-I-L-L!!! I can't even imagine. i have tweezed a couple on the tip and it's awful!!

As far as laser, I didn't shop around on price since the place was recommended by a friend. I'm sure it's outrageous, and I don't even care because my 'stache is gone gone GONE! It's about $250/session for lip & chin. I had a coupon for 50% off first session, and then after 4 sessions it goes down to 50% off (or something like that). I have gone 8 weeks without a session and it's a miracle!! It works best on light skin/dark hair.

I will say, the getting the lip done hurt so much, I nearly jumped out of the seat the first time (and this is coming from someone who has waxed forever, and even had 2 babies, lol!). Now she does it while I have an ice-pack in hand and I cool as she goes.

Now, onto greys. I have basically black hair and it's coming in. I started coloring just at the temples a few months ago. Before then I had completely stopped putting my hair back in a ponytail/barette outside of the house. Just one of those Clairol root touchup kits gets it done for me. Every time I go for a haircut the stylist encourages me to start dying, or at least get a glaze to cover it up. But I CAN'T - they will never, ever be able to match my hair color. So, I pluck/pull what I can see and color the temples. I am 36 but have been in denial about this for about 2-3years.

Ugh, and come to think of it, I am also in denial about being 36!!!

SheriRae
09-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok, Liza, I cannot thank you enough for posting this. Let me explain....

Just two days ago I looked in the mirror and decided it was waaaay pass my time for an eyebrow wax. As I'm looking closely in the mirror I see a nose hair peeking out. I wonder to myself if other people notice it and or not. Then I have this thought....what if while I'm getting an eyebrow wax the girl tells me I have a long nose hair. I'm horrified at the thought! Yikes! Would she help get rid of it??? Would I die of embarrassment???

Now I know, it's an okay thing. It happens to the best of us!

Again, thank you!

hwin708
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
I'll admit it - I've got hair everywhere!

I've done the nose wax. I think that one's really a lot more my obsession with hair, and less that other people are noticing, but still. It makes me feel happier and better groomed! The waxist just puts basically a ball of wax on the end of a stick, puts it in my nose (at the front only), and then tugs it out. Barely hurts at all.

I also get electrolysis on my lip and random hairs along my chin. I did try laser once, but I didn't like it. Part of the problem with laser is that you are supposed to shave the area before having it lasered. I really didn't like the idea of shaving my chin. Plus, while the laser works well on dark hairs, sometimes it can have an adverse effect on light hairs. So all those baby fine hairs that cover the face that you don't really mind may actually end up getting darker! It's not like this happens all the time and it all may work out beautifully. But it's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

I like electrolysis because it definitely works for everyone, and is truly permanent hair removal, as opposed to permanent hair reduction, which is all that laser hair removal is billed as (though I get laser on my body and I loooove the hair reduction there!). The main problem with electrolysis is that it is MUCH slower than laser, as they are literally going hair by hair. But for small areas, it works out to be priced comparably, or even cheaper, than laser. Upper lip would run about $300-600 depending on your technician. As for chin - I currently pay $60 an hour for electrolysis. And I have lots of strays along my chin, but definitely not a full on forest. My technician could pretty much clear my chin in that first hour. Then about 3 or so followup appointments (some at just half an hour) spread out over a few months, and I'm totally clear. So it probably works out to about $200 or so for the chin (though, again, prices vary a lot by technician, and you pay for the time, so the more hair you have, the more it's going to cost you).

MarisaSF
09-19-2008, 01:30 AM
That sounds so painful! (But I'm glad it wasn't!)

FYI -- My husband's beard trimmer came with a small, round attachment for nose and inside of ear hair.

Melanie
09-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I feel like a hairy animal lately! It's getting so much worse. My hair is white white blonde but still. I'm procrastinating finding a place to get waxed. I tried to do it myself a couple of times but it really didn't seem to work all that well.