PDA

View Full Version : Palin's popularity

LarsMal
09-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I saw something about a recent poll showing Palin had a -10 swing in popularity over a 3 day period, moving her from the most favorable of the four to the least favorable.

I was just curious if anyone here has developed a less-favorable (or more favorable, too, I guess) opinion of her since we first met her 3 weeks ago. Not that it will/would necessarily change your vote, but maybe just your initial opinion of her.

Just curious!

Edited to clarify the poll findings.

maestramommy
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Nope.

If it's really true about the loss in 10 points, it's possible that the initial excitement about her is waning a bit in the face of "let's get down and dirty with the issues." Just my guess.

citymama
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I think she got an initial bump for a number of reasons. I think now that the economy tanking is front-and-center for most voters, people want to see someone in charge who will help restore economic and financial strength to the country. I think social issues are taking a backseat right now for most voters.

maestramommy
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I think she got an initial bump for a number of reasons. I think now that the economy tanking is front-and-center for most voters, people want to see someone in charge who will help restore economic and financial strength to the country. I think social issues are taking a backseat right now for most voters.

okay, not really defending her, but can someone tell me how much power the VP actually has in terms of setting policy for things that drive the economy?

LBW
09-18-2008, 03:36 PM
okay, not really defending her, but can someone tell me how much power the VP actually has in terms of setting policy for things that drive the economy?

Well, that depends on whether you are asking about a typical VP or about Cheney!

citymama
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Here's an article talking about just that - why the Obama/Biden ticket is seen by voters as better for the economy than McCain/Palin, and polling better in the last few days:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080918/wl_afp/usvote

jk3
09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Not surprising. Most people did not have a detailed view on Palin and now they're learning.

lisams
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Yes. At first I didn't want to make any assumptions and had an open mind and no real opinion of her (do think she has cute kids), but the more I hear about things she's done in the past, the more she scares me. So my opinion went from none to kind of negative.

mommylamb
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Well, that depends on whether you are asking about a typical VP or about Cheney!
:yeahthat: But I think if McCain is elected he'll give her some sort of project and push her out of the way, and then just drag her out when he needs to get the base on his side about something.

Laurel
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I've gone from a total "this woman is evil personified" freak-out to "she's human, but politically flawed and out of her league on a national stage". So I guess I have a more positive view, but had it nowhere to go but up.

There was never a question what way I was voting, though.

This whole Palin thing has been such a distraction. We (I mean those of us who are voting dem) need to make this about McCain ASAP!

Laurel
09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
:yeahthat: But I think if McCain is elected he'll give her some sort of project and push her out of the way, and then just drag her out when he needs to get the base on his side about something.

Honestly, I see them having a very acrimonious relationship if they are elected. McCain has got to be so frustrated that he is now 2nd banana on his own ticket. People are leaving rallies early after she speaks. Palin even flubbed today and called it the "Palin-McCain" administration.

citymama
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Palin even flubbed today and called it the "Palin-McCain" administration.
OMG, I hadnt heard that! Too funny (and sad.) Cheney was way too smart to make that mistake, even if it was true!

Don't underestimate Palin (or more importantly, the Karl Rove machine) - if McCain loses, Rove and gang will be back in 2012 with Palin as their candidate. They are king (or queen) makers who rule from behind the scenes - as we know from recent experience with GW Bush. That's the reason they're now working it for McCain, the guy they couldn't stand - because of the promise that Palin, or someone in her mold, will deliver in 2012 or 2016.

american_mama
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
I did not agree with her, but liked her speech very much during the convention. But I saw her interview with Charles Gibson, at least the portion that was on in the evening, and thought she was AWFUL! Her underlying philosophy of governing, of what guides her belief system had all the depth of a 15 year old.

gatorsmom
09-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Any conservatives out there brave enough to contribute? anyone?

MarisaSF
09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes, I have a less favorable opinion of her now.

I was never going to vote for McCain, but I was impressed with her to some degree during the convention.

Now that I've head the convention speech and a handful more talking point soundbites recycled over and over and over, I think she was a one-trick pony. She offered a lot of human interest value, but no real substance.

ShanaMama
09-19-2008, 12:13 AM

I like her. :duck:

mamicka
09-19-2008, 07:21 AM
I've only grown to like her more as I've learned more about her.

maestramommy
09-19-2008, 07:38 AM

:ROTFLMAO:2 secons after I asked my question I thought of Cheney!

maestramommy
09-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Thank you Lisa. May I add, if you like her, can you please give some substantive reasons as to why? IOW, what do you think she will contribute to the admin in terms of the economy and other pressing issues?

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Thank you Lisa. May I add, if you like her, can you please give some substantive reasons as to why? IOW, what do you think she will contribute to the admin in terms of the economy and other pressing issues?

uh oh. If I didn't know you better Melinda, I'd think I was being set up ;).

Thank you for asking for my opinion, but I think i'm going to stay away a bit from the political threads. Besides, I have all 4 kids home today so I'd get halfway into my post and be interrupted (I just hate that).

maestramommy
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
uh oh. If I didn't know you better Melinda, I'd think I was being set up ;).

Thank you for asking for my opinion, but I think i'm going to stay away a bit from the political threads. Besides, I have all 4 kids home today so I'd get halfway into my post and be interrupted (I just hate that).

Sorry! I wasn't targeting you! I really have a hard time getting multiple quotes in a post. I was asking any conservatives who wanted to answer.

KBecks
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I've only grown to like her more as I've learned more about her.

I honestly haven't paid attention to her much since the convention speech, but I still have a favorable impression. There has been a lot of negativity about her but I haven't found a lot of substance to it.

I'm mostly tuning out of election stuff and election news. My DH was watching the Daily Show last night where he was making jokes about how the financial "crisis" is affecting people and he first described the impact on the CEO of AIG and then said, but what about if you're a 40-something mother of 5? And then it went to Sarah Palin. :) It was cute.

I really would like to volunteer to do phone calls but it's not going to happen this weekend, and I'm afraid that if McCain loses by a close margin in my state, I'll feel a lot of guilt like it will be my personal responsibility for not doing more.

Moneypenny
09-19-2008, 11:40 AM
I really would like to volunteer to do phone calls but it's not going to happen this weekend, and I'm afraid that if McCain loses by a close margin in my state, I'll feel a lot of guilt like it will be my personal responsibility for not doing more.

Karen, you are going to have a baby very very soon. Don't you dare feel guilty for not making phone calls!

kijip
09-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Interestingly, Karl Rove predicted her popularity/star power would wane closer to the election. I wonder if he figured it would start happening this soon.

Personally, my opinion has dropped since she was selected as VP (I knew of her before). But that is because I just don't see her as being a good fit for the job at hand and because moreover, I don't want to see her as a President in the future. I watched the interviews with Gibson and Hannity, watched her speech at the covention on onDemand and have read a fair bit. The part that bothered me the most was her answer to Charlie Gibson on the economy. She was asked about 3 things for helping the national economy and she responded initially with things that are only relevant at a local level. I was more impressed with her ability to answer questions on other things, but this question left me wondering just how much she knows about what drives the national economy and about fiscal policy on a national level.