PDA

View Full Version : Help with diaper rash that is bleeding

Octobermommy
09-18-2008, 06:29 PM
My 9 month old has had diaper rash for about 3 weeks. It was not going away so we used an anti fungal cream and it seemed to be getting better. We stopped that 3 days ago and yesterday he had a bm and was screaming in agony. When I went to change his diaper I saw he was bleeding and the area was bright red. The ped said it was probably an acidic food that he ate but they only thing he ate that he has not had before was winter squash, I don't think that his highly acidic.

Anyone have any good remedies? The ped said to put neosporin and vaseline on it. I have done that for 2 diaper changes and no change so far.

Any btdt advice?

bubbaray
09-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I've mixed an AF cream, polysporin, and Aquaphor before. I've also done straight Vaseline. The key is to try not to use wipes (wet cloths instead) and to let the skin dry completely before you put the ointment on.

GL!

KpbS
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Vaseline and lots of it every diaper change. Also you might change him more frequently than normal until you can get the area improved.

JTsMom
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
I've hear really great things about triple paste. Also- and yes, I realize this will be messy- I'd try to let him go without a diaper as much as you possibly can. And definitely avoid wipes- just use water and soft cloths. If you have some old T-shirts, you can cut them up and use those. Have you recently switched diapers by any chance?

CAM7
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
For DD I would give her a bath... then let her skin dry thoroughly...and then nap in sunlight without diaper. Just a little bit of sun exposure will probably help.

Don't put ointment on without washing and thoroughly drying first.

nrp
09-18-2008, 09:28 PM
We have fortunately had only one horrible raw diaper rash with DD (knock on wood). For that one, for every diaper BM I would take her to our bathroom and use the hand-held shower head to rinse her off (which she thought was funny and didn't hurt her at all) and then let her drip dry or else dry her with a hair dryer. Then I would slather her with a mixture of Aquaphor and Maalox (equal parts, mix with a whisk until it comes finally comes together into a really nice smooth cream). I gooped it on super thick. This routine went on for a couple of days and it was much better.

There is also a prescription diaper cream from the ped, but it has to be mixed up by a compounding pharmacy and is expensive.

Octobermommy
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Have you recently switched diapers by any chance?

Nope, we use the same diapers and wipes. I bought a squirt bottle to rinse him instead of wipes and got some vaseline and boudreauxs butt paste so we will see if that helps. I will probably try other recommendations also.

Thanks! Y'all are the best.