PDA

View Full Version : Anyone give their child Ensure?

713abc
09-18-2008, 08:14 PM
My 5 yr old DS is very small (about 36 lbs). He is not the best eater (mostly carbs, proteins, some dairy and little to no fruits/veggies). We were thinking about giving him Ensure to make sure he gets his nutritional needs met and maybe gain some weight.

Any pros/cons?

TIA,
Robin

egoldber
09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
With the low weight combined with the gassiness (mentioned in your other post), I would look at gluten intolerance:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/celiac-disease/DS00319/DSECTION=causes

elephantmeg
09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
if he pans out healthwise there is actually a pediatric ensure called pediasure. You could also try carnation instant breakfast. I would probably schedule an apointment with you pedi and try to get a nutritional or GI consult.

dhano923
09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
We do Pediasure for DS. He is not a picky eater, but prefers to eat lots of fruits and some veggies, and he's not a big fan of meat so he tends to be on the skinny side since his calorie intake is less. I get it from Walmart -- it's cheaper than the other stores.

kimberley-k
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Isn't it mostly water and high fructose corn syrup? I'd go for something like Clif bars instead - at least they have high quality protein.

My son is extremely picky too - the only way I get fruit in him is through smoothies - banana, frozen blueberries, milk and yogurt. Yum!

-Kim

caheinz
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Isn't it mostly water and high fructose corn syrup? I'd go for something like Clif bars instead - at least they have high quality protein.

-Kim

No, at least not the Ensure -- and I'm guessing Pediasure is the same, though hopefully more palatable for kids.

Ensure is a vitamin and mineral and often protein-rich supplement. It can be used when solid food isn't an option for adults, and is available in grocery and drugs stores without a prescription. It's similar to a meal-replacing diet drink in concept, but is probably higher in caloric count, since the goal is to generally stem weight loss, not cause it.

I've had to drink it as an adult when I couldn't tolerate solids at all, and have used it as a supplement in this pregnancy as a way to sneak in some extra protein.

Are you thinking of Pedialyte? (Not the same at all.)