PDA

View Full Version : Ziploc alternative?

jyllebean
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM
We are trying to consume less and recycle more. We use tupperware at home but I always find myself using ziploc bags to freeze things, take for lunches, etc. Any good suggestions on alternatives to ziplocs? I'm considering sewing little bags out of oilcloth, though I wouldn't use those in the freezer.

Thanks for any ideas!

egoldber
09-18-2008, 09:47 PM
You can freeze in Pyrex containers.

I take lunches for me in Pyrex, but I do still use plastic for school lunches for the kids. I send everything in reusable containers though, not sandwich bags.

Neatfreak
09-19-2008, 02:54 AM
I also freeze things in Pyrex, but still use re-useable plastic containers for freezing as well (I figure that unless I hear that freezing isn't safe either, I will re-purpose instead of buying more stuff). What I miss about freezing in ziplocks is having a nice flat stack of food in ziplocks in my freezer - I could fit so much more! I wonder if there is a low-profile glass alternative like that ...

Asianmommy
09-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I use tupperware for lunches and Pyrex to freeze.

kimberley-k
09-19-2008, 10:32 AM
The Laptop Lunchbox has little compartments for items so you don't have to bag everything.

-Kim

lfp2n
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
This is killing me too. My DD takes a snack of grapes/blueberries/carrots etc for school in a sandwich ziploc. She says they have to carry it outside for recess and then she puts the bag in the trash and carries on playing, somehow she can't or won't cope with looking after a reuseable tub and then replacing it in her backpack which is back in the classroom.
I'm not fighting with her on this yet as I think shes got a lot to remember and do starting Kindy, and obviously looking after tubs is not happening, maybe when shes a little older she can do it. For the time being I wish I could think of something a bit more disposable but that isn't going to end up with squashed blueberries in her back pack.

Lucy DD 3/03

mamaoftwins
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
No suggestions for freezing besides what pp have said, but we use these for lunches for DH & myself:

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/wrapnmat®-p-2.html (like a sandwich ziploc, you can use it for a sandwich, chips/pretzels, veggies, whatever)

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bags™-recycled-cotton-lunch-medium-p-968.html (to carry everything in)

No suggestions for kids, since I haven't BTDT yet!!

Tondi G
09-19-2008, 01:53 PM
what about butcher paper for freezing meats and such? I know a friend of mine used to date a butcher and everything came out of the packaging and into that paper... nice and tight and was taped shut. She would write on the outside the day it was purchased and what is was and how many... 4 chicken breasts , 3 steaks, ground meat etc.

For now we are using either ziplocs or small gladware containers

cdlamis
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
I use cloth sandwich bags from www.gnomeclothes.com (Etsy seller). I have also read great reviews on Happy Sacks www.happy-sacks.com

With both of these, you can use them for sandwiches, fruit (like grapes), crackers, etc.

With your freezing needs, I am of little help. It is hard to find a good alternative that is easy to store flat.

shilo
09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
i have two sets of happy-sacks and have been very happy with them. i use the snack sized one's for DS or for a half sandwich for me, the larger ones for a full sandwich. i don't have any of the loaf sized sacks. dry snacks (ie crackers or cereal) are a breeze, just brush out the crumbs. cut fruit does fine as long as it doesn't leak - so things like grapes and apple wedges do fine, but juicy melon cubes don't work real well b/c the juice will leak out into this lunch sack if it doesn't stay upright. they work great for sandwiches, i've had no problem even with stuff like avocado - i just flip them inside out and scrub a little with my sponge or dish brush. i've tried running them thru both the laundry and dishwasher inside out and they're holding up great so far. i have not used them for leftovers in the fridge or freezing, the pyrex others have mentioned is probably the better choice for that.

hth, lori

saschalicks
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
for lunches we use tupperware or Happy-Sacks.

sariana
09-19-2008, 06:34 PM
My son is in preschool, and I have an 8-month-old daughter. Gerber now uses plastic containers for its baby food, so I wash them out and use them for my son's lunches and snacks. He's actually really good about bringing them home, but even if he didn't return them, there are more (and more and more). If you know anyone with an infant eating baby food, s/he might be willing to part with some of these containers. (The Stage 1s are kind of small; the Stage 2s are better.)