PDA

View Full Version : Boston on Saturday - advice?

Mamma2004
09-18-2008, 09:41 PM
DH and I used to spend weekends in Boston every year and we knew the city fairly well. My parents lived there 40 years ago, before I was born, and have only visited a few times since.

Fast forward to 2008: After horrible health scares over the past year, my parents are now "well" enough to spend the day with us in Boston on Saturday. [we live about 2 hours away and they'll travel 45 min. Fri. to sleep at our house] I know my mom wants us to show her around the North End and we'll probably try to eat at Giacomo's. Aside from that, can anyone help us with planning a day for two sixty-somethings, two thirty-somethings and a four-year-old? We'll probably arrive late morning and will have the whole day. We'll undoubtedly do a fair amount of walking but not all at once - my mom had major surgery in Nov. and my dad suffers from COPD.

TIA for any suggestions regarding parking, activities, must-sees, etc.!

mommy111
09-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I would check the weather....the parks may be ideal for that age diversity if its going to be warm. Otherwise, maybe the museums or the aquarium? Not too much walking but enough to keep everyone interested.

wencit
09-19-2008, 01:27 AM
The 4-year-old, as well as the adults, will probably be entertained by the Boston Children's Museum. My DH, SIL, and I all thought it was cool enough to want to go there again without kids, LOL!

AbbysMom
09-19-2008, 08:15 AM
The Aquariam is in walkable distance from the North End. And they have a IMAX Theatre (I don't know if what they're showing would be good for a 4 year old though).

Tnstrainor
09-19-2008, 10:19 AM
The swan boats. They close this weekend for the year. While at the swan boats there is the make way for duckling statutes.

julymommy
09-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Not sure if the duck tours are still going on (or if they have stopped for the season) - if they are still going I would highly suggest doing that. I have lived in Boston for 10 years and have gone on about 6 tours with out of town guests- I loved every tour (learned something new each time) - and all my guests - from my grandmother (80) to my parents (late-fifties) to cousins (3-6) loved them.

wellyes
09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Just a warning, I was at the aquarium a couple days ago and the elevators are broken. You wouldn't have to do stairs, there are ramps up each floor, but not a great choice for someone with limited mobility. It was also kinda dark and quite crowded. I didn't really enjoy it much.

If they are up for walking, I'd do the Freedom Trail. The North End is a good starting or ending point for the trip (see http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/maps/pdfs/boston-nps-map.pdf). My 60ish, not-in-great-shape parents did it last summer and it was not too much for them. There are lots of stopping point - North Church, Boston Massacre site, Faneuil Hall, the burying ground, etc. Faneuil Hall always has street performers which the 4-year-old will enjoy.

I've been on the Duck Tour, it is fun too.

hollybloom24
09-19-2008, 04:55 PM
There are hundreds of possibilities...

For the Aquarium I would park at One International Place and cross the street to the Aquarium - bring your parking ticket for validation. It is the most cost effective. http://www.internationalplace.com/directions.html Leave the car there as long as possible! Go early - as the day goes on, the lines are horrible. After you can grab lunch at Legal Sea Foods (right in front of the Aquarium) or you can walk over to Fanuiel Hall for dozens of options, including Wagamama, an Asian noodle bar from the UK that my kids like.

Same with the Children's Museum - go early as possible, ie, be there when they open.

The Duck Tours are still available - on their website they usually have coupons where you can get a discount to the Museum of Science. They leave from a few different places around Boston - closest to the North End and Waterfront would be the Museum of Science location.

For lunch if you are in the North End I'd go to Pizzeria Regina. They only have pizza, and it is excellent. After, go to Mike's Pasteries for canolis and other Italian specialties - they also have gelato. For dinner, Giacomo's is great, but it is small and often really busy. You might see if they accept reservations - I think they do. I am a fan of their pumpkin ravioli! Again, I'd do Mike's for dessert, or Caffe Vittoria for coffee and desserts. The Government Center Garage on New Sudbury Street in Government Center has parking deals and some validated parking - a short walk brings you to the North End. Some restaurants in the North End also have cheap validated parking at the Parcel 7 Garage on Blackstone Street in Government Center.

The swan boats are great - my three year olds love them. You can walk through the Public Garden to the Boston Common where there is a nice playground that was just built, in the corner up of the park near the State House. From there you can also walk through to Beacon Hill and have pizza at Figs. Park at the Boston Common Garage. You can also walk to Chinatown from here - my kids love walking around Chinatown and getting Dim Sum for lunch at China Pearl. Then we get Asian cookies at one of the bakeries and you can buy fun little Asian things in the shops!

The Mappararium at the Christian Science Center is really neat - it's the view of the world from inside a globe - kids like it. From there you can catch the Duck Boats at the Prudential Center. And visit the Prudential's Skywalk Observatory which is close by. Legal Sea Foods, PF Chang and Cheesecake Factory are all kid-friendly and right nearby. I also like Stephanie's on Newbury Street if it is a nice day and you can sit outside. Park at the Prudential Center - if you buy something in the mall they validate your parking.

My kids also love just riding the T, so you could try to work that into your plan too.