PDA

View Full Version : first time c-section question!!!

aes74
09-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Hello!

This will be my third child but my first c-section in about a week and a half thanks to a nice little placenta previa.

So I just got my surgery papers in the mail and they requested no contact lenses. This put me in full panic mode. My eyesight is extemely bad without my contacts, and I will not be able to see at all without them. I can't imagine being in such a new, scary situation and not being able to see whats going on or see my new baby. I currently don't have any glasses at all, so that's not an option either. So, can i just lie and say I don't wear them? Insist that I keep them in? What possible reason would they need me to take them out?

Aaagh!!! Anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks! Amy

bubbaray
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I would go and get glasses. You should be able to get some in a week, especially if you explain the situation.

I've had two c/s (1st emergency, 2nd scheduled) and couldn't wear my contacts for either. Its in case they need to give you general (which is always a possibility).

I can't see 6" in front of my face without my contacts or glasses, so I understand where you are coming from. But, honestly, you'll want glasses for the sleepless days/nights ahead once the baby is here too.

GL!

ThreeofUs
09-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Contact lenses are dangerous for your eyes in certain surgical conditions. The staff will not allow you into surgery with them on. And really, it's not worth risking permanent damage to your vision.

I think Melissa's advice is good: go get a pair of glasses asap.

egoldber
09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Definitely go and get glasses.

bubbaray
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I was thinking about this. OP, its your third birth experience, but first c/s recovery. I've only known c/s recovery, but I think most mom's who've had both will say that a c/s recovery is completely different than a recovery from a vaginal birth. I normally never wear my glasses in public, but I wore them a LOT after my c/s's. Any extra energy I did have, I spent resting, not putting in/taking out contacts.

GL!

mom2binsd
09-18-2008, 11:24 PM
I understand your concern...as a contact lens wearer who hates my glasses...I hated the idea of going without...but having had two c-sections I can say that there is no way I would have risked lying about wearing my lenses....it's just too much of a risk....I got so cute frames a before DS was born 2 1/2 years ago (kinda like Tori Spelling has so I guess I was ahead of the trends-that's a first!).....you will want to bring a small mirror though so that when you are out of anesthesia and ready to put them in you can without getting out of bed.

Not sure if you started the thread last week about what to bring for a c-section but everyone gave really good advice...if you haven't read that thread it's a good one to look over.

Good luck and I'd for sure get some glasses....you really should have them in case you ever get an eye infection...

MamaMolly
09-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Do you have a membership to Sam's or Costco? I've bought glasses at both and they are very reasonable. And Walmart prices are almost as good. I'm not sure how quickly they can make them, though.

What about a place like Hour Eyes? Doesn't Lens Crafter's make glasses on site?

ITA that you want to be able to see, but I don't think I wore contacts for very much of that first month. Since you'll be up and down night and day at first, you may just find it easier to pop glasses on and off.

Congrats, BTW! :cheerleader1:

nrp
09-19-2008, 12:13 AM
By no means do I mean to suggest you shouldn't follow your orders, but for my scheduled c-section three months ago, I was allowed to wear my contacts. I specifically asked my doc ahead of time and he said it was not a problem. Maybe it is worth at least checking with your doc to make see if he can "override" if he doesn't have a problem with it?

HannaAddict
09-19-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm not saying to diregard the advice and the reason for no contacts is in event of general and they tape your eyes closed, but I had contacts in for two c-sections (including first time under surprise general after spinal didn't work). I was fine, no problems. It won't ruin your vision but if you have general it would be like falling asleep in your contacts (dryness, yuck when you wake up, etc.). I would get glasses, but I would wear my contacts rather than be totally blurry and helpless feeling as I would be with my vision. Make sure you have saline and your contact solution and even get some contact lens safe eye drops. I'm sure you will be fine, I probably wouldn't mention it. (I never noticed anything on my pre-surgery form but I bet there was something there and I just wore them blissfully unaware.

cono0507
09-19-2008, 04:02 AM
My first was general anesthesia and I popped my contacts out (at the anesthesiologist's request) as they pushed my bed down the hall. My second was a planned c-section. No one told me not to wear my contacts, so I just kept them in.

Melbel
09-19-2008, 06:37 AM
I was also permitted to keep my contacts in for my scheduled c/s in June. Pretty scary, but I just do not recall what I did with my first 2 scheduled c/s! If you wear disposable lenses, I imagine you could get them out quickly and just toss them in the event that you needed general. For my back surgeries under general anesthesia, my contacts had to be out. I concur with the other posters about definitely getting glasses for the many middle of the night feedings or in case of an infection. Congratulations and good luck!

ETA: I would definitely be honest with your medical care providers!

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
I'm blind as a bat and must wear either glasses or contacts to see anything. With all three of my c/sections, they let me wear my glasses during surgery- even with an oxygen mask on.

Lenscrafters is expensive but in a pinch they really can get your glasses done in an hour. And even though my current glasses are 3 years old, I can go in anytime I'm at the mall or near a Lenscrafters and they will tighten them or repair them free of charge.

Trust me, you won't want to be wearing contacts. When you are doped up and in bed that first night and next day and have a catheter in (which you will LOVE btw and never want removed), you won't want to have to fuss with contact lenses.

gl and hth!

egoldber
09-19-2008, 10:08 AM
When you are doped up and in bed that first night and next day and have a catheter in (which you will LOVE btw and never want removed),

Wow. Never felt that way about my catheter! Couldn't WAIT to get it out!

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow. Never felt that way about my catheter! Couldn't WAIT to get it out!

Oh, that's funny.LOL I guess I just felt that after 9 months of having to get out of bed all hours of the night to pee, it was nice to get a full night's sleep comfortably! My catheters were really comfortable, though. I couldn't even feel that they were in.

egoldber
09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I hate being confined to bed and I hate being in hospital gowns. I get up, shower and dress in my own clothes within hours of surgery. I'm a terrible patient. ;)

jerigirl
09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I would get some glasses for all of the reasons already mentioned. But Talk with your doctor and more importantly the anesthesia provider about being allowed to wear your contacts. DO NOT lie to them. They can discuss with you what they want re your contacts. Those are just generic forms that are printed up that you got in the mail. BUT be prepared that they might tell you no contacts. The docs don't like surprises in the event something doesn't go as planned and you might need a general anesthesia. The main risk is scratching the surface of your eye and getting an infection or losing your contact in the back of your eye. GL! I hope your CS goes well and you have an easy recovery!

hez
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't lie. I'd probably check into getting glasses somewhere quickly.

That said, no one asked about my contacts with my c/s with DS (not planned). I filled out the paperwork saying I did wear contacts before my c/s with DD, and apparently must have been allowed to wear them. I just checked the pics from the OR, and I don't have my glasses on, and I don't remember DH taking them off me for the pics :p

If I'd been told not to wear my contacts, I definitely wouldn't have worn them. I'd probably have asked to understand the reasons.

daniele_ut
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
I've had 3 c-sections now. With my first, which was a crash c-section under general anesthesia, no one even asked about my contacts. I went from fully clothed on an ultrasound table to the OR in less than 5 minutes because the baby was crashing. They didn't even wait till I was under to put in the catheter, so I'm pretty sure my contacts were low on the priority list.

With DS, I was planning a VBAC but ended up in pre-term labor with him still frank breech. It was 3am when I went in to the hospital and I didn't bother to put my lenses in.

With DD I had a planned c-section, though I was in labor when I arrived. My doctor was fine with me wearing my contact lenses and the nurse didn't even ask me when I arrived. I wear Night and Day lenses that are FDA approved for 30 days and nights of continuous wear so I wear mine all the time. I never took them out at all while I was in the hospital or for the month after I had dd. I love being able to wake in the middle of the night and see without fumbling with my glasses.

aes74
09-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Oh you guys, thank you for all the great advice. I promise I will not fib to my doc about my lenses!! :0) I will talk to my dr. at my appt on tues about it, and in the meantime, no matter what they say, I think it is worth getting a pair of glasses. Gosh, I hope it's not too expensive. Especially since with my terrible eyesight I have to order the kind of lenses that are specially made thin for us coke-bottle lensers!!!

Thank you for all your experience and advice. I was not the one who posted the c-section list but I will definitely check it out.

pastrygirl
09-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Oh, that's funny.LOL I guess I just felt that after 9 months of having to get out of bed all hours of the night to pee, it was nice to get a full night's sleep comfortably! My catheters were really comfortable, though. I couldn't even feel that they were in.That was EXACTLY how I felt!! It was bliss not having to get up to pee! :ROTFLMAO:

kijip
09-21-2008, 12:02 PM
I hate being confined to bed and I hate being in hospital gowns. I get up, shower and dress in my own clothes within hours of surgery. I'm a terrible patient. ;)
Same here. As for catheters, I had to leave the hospital with one after a long stay because my bladder ceased to function at all after my c-section so if I can do without seeing another one ever, that is a-ok with me. If I have another c-section I am hoping the same thing does not happen. It is such a PITA to have to take it out daily, see you can't pee and then have to have it reinserted. Ugh.

aes74
09-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Just as an update...I had my drs appt this morning, and my doctor said it was no problem to wear my contacts. Phew! He didn't seem worried at all.

I do plan on ordering some glasses anyway...definitely something I am going to need no matter what!!

Edensmum
09-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I wore my contacts, the issue is if the surgery gets complicated and they need to put you under they put things in your eyes to keep them from drying out. Talk to the dr, I would not have taken them out, you could maybe give them some saline for the same purpose if that is acceptable.