PDA

View Full Version : I need burn help.

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 12:19 AM
I really burned the palm and fingers of my left hand bad. I don't have any aloe vera (where can I buy an aloe vera plant btw?). What can I use on the stinging? Icing it only provides some tempeorary help.

tia.

urquie
09-19-2008, 12:30 AM
do you have any lavender essential oil? that should help the burn heal.

supercalifragilous
09-19-2008, 01:49 AM
The immediate stinging/pain is hard to fight (even with ibuprofen, though it might help). Icing it is the only thing I know to help combat that pain.

To help the skin heal, I swear by emu oil. You can usually find it @ a health/natural food store. I get it @ SuperSupplements. I've seen emu oil heal a bad sunburn in a day. A regionally well-respected ND (naturopath) recommended it as it penetrates the deeper skin layers and helps it heal. I just get the pure 100% emu oil in a dropper bottle. A little goes a long way.

HTH!

BeachBum
09-19-2008, 06:14 AM
You should be able to get an aloe plan anywhere...Walmart, Lowes etc. They are usually by the cactus.

My suggestion is to get "burn cream", just ask the pharmacist. My husband gets burned at work and while aloe can help with a light burn anything that has blistered up etc will really benefit from the burn cream medication. Sometimes you can find it in a pre-packaged first aid kit if you have one of those laying around.

elephantmeg
09-19-2008, 06:20 AM
ice might actually dammage the tissues, a thick layer of burn cream and a bandaid often help me-and my aloe plant!

SammyeGail
09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
I've used tea tree oil (bought at local pharmacy) and it worked wonders!!

Samantha

JTsMom
09-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Ditto on the burn cream- I've had a lot of luck with the gel pad stuff- I have no idea what it's called.

That's an awful burn to get b/c it affects everything you do. I had one in the same area years ago- I had accidently turned on the front burner on an electric stove when I meant to turn on the rear, and I leaned on the front one. Ouch! I had grill marks for months.

ThreeofUs
09-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Burn cream and gel pads. You can get both with aloe component if you want, but for your hands (which, with 4 kids, you are going to be using a LOT), I'd go for the medicinal solution.

Having said that, aloe gel is usually available in any drug store, even if you can't find an aloe plant around.

kristenk
09-19-2008, 02:52 PM
We think alike! I burned myself a few days ago and my first thought was to get suggestions from the board. :)

I found a thread that recommended 2nd Skin burn pads from Spenco. I found them at CVS and Walgreens. You need to use adhesive tape or a wrap to keep the pad on, so that might be tricky for your hand.

We have an aloe vera plant and I used that for about the first 2 hours. It was great when I first applied it, but when the, um, goo would dry, my burn would be painful again so I'd reapply. I think I reapplied about every 5 minutes for 90 minutes before deciding to check the board for other recommendations and go get the burn pads.

If anyone has a specific burn cream recommendation, I'd love to hear it. I'm going to make sure I have the 2nd skin pads and burn cream stocked from now on.

crayonblue
09-19-2008, 02:56 PM
I bought my aloe vera plant for a couple of dollars at WalMart.

Burns hurt so badly! I hope you feel better soon!

elephantmeg
09-19-2008, 05:41 PM
really the best burn cream is a prescription-silvadine. We had a tub of it growing up and oh was it wonderful!