PDA

View Full Version : Abcessed Tooth for DD

notasherpa
09-19-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm looking for some help for my daughter.

DD is 6 and I suspect she has an abcessed tooth. She's had 14 cavities, two root canals, four crowns and an abcess (yes, you read that right), so I feel like I'm checking out her mouth all the time. We brush 3x daily, floss, fluoride rinse, and receive regular dental care. I'm also very careful about her diet.

Anyway, on the gum above one of her back molars (which has a stainless steel crown) is a large pimple - which I think is the warning sign of abcess. I spoke w/ her pediatric dentist today and she agrees. However, we cannot get into the dentist until next Wed. because her office is closed tomorrow for training and she does dental surgery on Mon./Tues. She is a solo dentist so there is no other dentist we can see. Our dentist is really wonderful and she has seen us through all of our challenges - and my DD really likes her and feels safe w/ her.

If the tooth is abcessed, it will have to be extracted - and the permanent tooth won't come in for 3 - 4 years, meaning she will have a big gap in her mouth.

So, is there anything I can do - I did consult w/a homeopathic caregiver who gave me some remedies in the hope of holding off the abcess. The dentist is really perplexed, too, because we are so careful with her oral care and we don't have a family history of dental issues (I have three other children - and no cavities among them). Her last dental xrays showed no decay or problems w/ the affected tooth. Overall it seems like there must be something underlying her dental problems.

And finally - I am supposed to go away on a fun weekend w/ my sisters this weekend. If her tooth starts to hurt (so far it doesn't hurt at all), my dentist wants us to call her and she will open up her office over the weekend and do the extraction. This means that DH will have to take her in - and he's not the best w/ medical procedures or making decisions about care. So, I'm thinking of canceling my weekend because I'd feel awful if I was gone and she needed an extraction.

If you've read this far, and if you have any insights, ideas, or sympathies, I thank you. I'm usually pretty calm, but this is making me want to breathe in a bag.

Becky

kransden
09-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Isn't the dentist going to give you antibotics for her? I know I needed them when I had a root canal.
No other advice, just hugs for you!

notasherpa
09-19-2008, 02:05 AM
Hmmm........she didn't mention anything about antibiotics. However, we haven't been into the office yet to be xrayed or diagnosed (just did a phone consult). When DD had her abcess last year, we didn't do antibiotics (and I didn't think to ask). I will call the dentist in the morning.

Also - I am so grateful for the ped. dentist. She is just awesome and always calls me back - day and night. She's helped me so much with my problem child - and it seems like we see her alot.

Thanks for the kind words.

elephantmeg
09-19-2008, 06:26 AM
I am really surprised that she isn't ordering abx for her. I would try to have her seen during the lunch break at the training session and see her. And write scripts for an abx and a prescription pain med so you are set for the weekend. Good luck and hope she gets better soon!