PDA

View Full Version : My son wants to be a witch for Halloween

BeachBum
09-19-2008, 06:30 AM
He loves to do the "scary witch laugh", and has big ideas about riding a broom and wearing a pointy hat.
I don't have the heart to tell him that witches are female. Is that bad? He's 3.

Are the neighbors going to make him feel badly when we trick or treat? WWYD?

Neatfreak
09-19-2008, 06:54 AM
I think that it would be really unclassy for your neighbours to comment on your son's choice of costume! I really hope that no one says anything rude or hurtful and squashes your son's enthusiasm ...

bnme
09-19-2008, 07:33 AM
My 5.5yo wants to be a witch too. Or a magician or Optimus Prime, depending on the day.

Isn't a male witch called a warlock? If he settles on witch I will get him a witch hat and maybe a cape or a robe.

I think at 3 you shouldn't have to worry about people teasing him.

maestramommy
09-19-2008, 07:36 AM
After Harry Potter I don't think anything is off limits.

kedss
09-19-2008, 07:39 AM
i wouldnt worry about the neighbors, if they are rude enough to hurt a 3 year old's feelings, I'd skip their house. I think its great he wants to be a witch :)

CiderLogan
09-19-2008, 07:49 AM
That's great! I'm sure you can find a 'warlock' type costume that includes a pointy hat, and he can just carry one of your brooms. So many of the witch costumes these days have tutus and girly colors, so as long as you avoid those you'll be fine. Definitely encourage it, and I really wouldn't worry about what people will say...so many costumes are kinda vague anyway, y'know?...I've stopped guessing out loud what kids are ....

caleymama
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
That's great! I'm sure you can find a 'warlock' type costume that includes a pointy hat, and he can just carry one of your brooms. So many of the witch costumes these days have tutus and girly colors, so as long as you avoid those you'll be fine. Definitely encourage it, and I really wouldn't worry about what people will say

:yeahthat: Exactly what I was thinking. I can see no reason for him not to dress up the way he wants to. I love that he's got the laugh down.

JTsMom
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
I would absolutely go for it. I don't think anyone will say a world about it. Last year, DS was a cat. I was worried that people would think cats were girly (I don't know why- of course there are boy cats too) but I did it anyway. Nobody said anything except what a cute kitty he was! :love-retry:

Ceepa
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Go for it! And if your neighbors say anything rude, put flaming dog doo on their porch.

motherofone
09-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't worry about the neighbors. Before you go trick or treating, teach him a "spell" to put on anyone who says anything mean. "Abra cadabra-you will turn into flaming dog poo!"

lilycat88
09-19-2008, 04:12 PM
dd wants to be a dragon. Not the typical 4 year old girl choice. I think it's great.

kransden
09-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Harry Potter had a broom, I doubt the neighbors will care. I have seen some pretty crazy stuff in my day lol :).

Globetrotter
09-20-2008, 01:30 AM
He can wear the hat and be a warlock, if anyone dares to question a THREE year old :rolleye0014: I think that will be adorable :)

lisams
09-20-2008, 01:32 AM
flaming dog poo

This made me LOL!!!

mommy111
09-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Don't worry about the neighbors. Before you go trick or treating, teach him a "spell" to put on anyone who says anything mean. "Abra cadabra-you will turn into flaming dog poo!"
:ROTFLMAO:
I think the question you will most likely get from the neighbours will be 'Are you Harry Potter?' I think its great that he has the laugh down, I wish you lived in our area cuz I'd ask you to come over trick and treating just to hear a 3-year old witch laugh.

traumarn
09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
probably not a big deal..if he hasn't had any other gender id issues...but, technically, i believe a 'warlock' is a male witch. or, as in harry potter-like stories.. a 'sorcerer' can be either male or female. perhaps you could introduce him to those 'concepts'...being 4-5 yrs old..i'd bet that if YOU got 'excited' abouthim being a sorcerer/warlock, he'd go along with it, esp because the costumes don't have to necessarily be 'broomstick and pointed hat'(well...maybe the hat).
good 'examples' of sorcerers are harry potter, and the lord of the ring movies...though LOR is probably too scary and violent...but those are just some ideas....
good luck!!!