PDA

View Full Version : Fluoride?

KBecks
09-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Alek had a fluoride treatment at the dentist a few days ago at our last visit. I wasn't informed or asked for consent very well but I did ask the dentist about it and the safety -- of course he said -- if it weren't safe we wouldn't do it -- but I have heard some concerns about fluoride. I'm sure we will be offered many more treatments like this.

Anyone have good info? Thanks!

wendibird22
09-19-2008, 08:25 AM
There's some information on kellymom about fluoride:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamins.html#Fluoride

KBecks
09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks, Alek is almost four and this is a product that was painted on his teeth and then brushed off later in the evening. He didn't experience any side effects. I know later we'll be offered those gel trays, I remember from childhood.

His molars are deeply grooved, and we will need to be good brushers. I may want to refuse the treatments though if there is research on effectiveness.

I still don't like my dentist, I was annoyed the hygenist (who was otherwise wonderful and playful about the cleaning) didn't *ask* me about the treatment, she *told* me he was getting the treatment -- uh, no, that's not how it works, lady. The dentist also told me it's OK to SIT on a child to brush their teeth if they are uncooperative. Uh, no. Not at my house.

My analysis is that my dentist cares about teeth more than people. I still have yet to make a switch, as it's not that bad, and I like that he's thorough. He made a big deal about Alek's overbite. My thoughts -- so what? I have an overbite too and I'm beautiful with no huge problems. :)

Alek did great at the dentist!

Anyway there's my b*tch. I'm hoping to find more info about those specific in-office treatments.

Corie
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
I always refuse the fluoride treatments for myself and the kids.

Our town has fluoride in the water and I don't want them to
have anymore than necessary.

My reasoning was more for cosmetic reasons. (I have not
researched any health concerns of fluoride.) My top front teeth
are completely stained from too much fluoride as a kid. My
sister's front teeth look the same as mine.

CAM7
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Keep shopping for a better dentist.

You may want to google up "holistic dentist" for your area that you live...

I don't bother going to a healthcare provider that is not holistic.

lorinick
09-19-2008, 03:28 PM
We get it all the time. We do not have it in our water. So I like to get it. Flouride is good for the teeth. Ds's use to take the vit with it. But I'd rather not do vit's. My guys eat really well. I've always gotten the flouride. But they always ask first before giving it. I'm not crazy about my dentist either. But my dental coverage sucks. I have no one to choose from. Having a dental back ground I know he sticks.

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 03:34 PM
I can't remember if DD#1 had a fluroide treatment last dentist visit or not (DH took her and DD#2). I know DD#2 h/n had one yet. Its not a big deal for us, we did fluoride drops and if fluoride treatment is offered, we'd accept. Our water has no fluoride. My GP thinks we should still be giving the girls fluoride drops, but the dentist told us to stop (we do use fluoride toothpaste though, on his advice), so we did.

I know DH's and my dentist (the girls go to a pediatric dentist) uses a fluoride rince, not the trays or anything painted on. Not sure if he uses that on kids and at what age.

I think the bigger issue is the consent. You didn't consent to the treatment and its your right as a parent to refuse it. If they don't want to work with you, it seems like the professional relationship isn't a good fit.

I've "sat" on both DDs to brush her teeth (not really sat on, more held them down with my legs while I used both hands to brush their teeth -- I've done the same thing while changing diapers and getting them dressed). Personally, I'd rather that than have them go under general for dental work. Not sure how I'd feel about the dentist *telling* me to do that, though.

There seems to be more awareness now of orthodontic issues. I know quite a few older adults who have braces. From what I understand, overbites can lead to jaw problems and excessive wear on the teeth. Headaches too. Bite problems can lead to periodontal issues down the road (I'm in the process of getting a night bite guard b/c of this).

I'm pretty interventionist with respect to teeth, though. I'm planning on doing sealants on the advice of the dentist too -- so far, he thinks they won't need it until their permanent teeth. We expect both girls will need braces. I had them.

Bottom line, if you're not comfortable, ask for more information and time to make an informed decision. If you don't like the way they treat you/him, get a new dentist.

JMHO.

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I just wanted to add, we use fluroide toothpaste (and have since we started brushing their teeth) on the advice of our ped. dentist and our dentist (as well as fluroide drops). About a year ago, I added xylitol toothpaste (so a smear of each on the toothbrush). Xylitol may help reverse decay in some patients, according to some websites. Our ped. dentist prescribed a similar routine to a friend of mine's DS for decay/cavities. It didn't help that child, but maybe his was too far gone (he d/n start going to the dentist until he started K, then he had 6 fillings!).

brittone2
09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/government/84/8436gov1.html

This is from a publication geared toward chemists and chemical engineers (DH receives this). I found some of this article enlightening when I first read it, and I was already fairly leery of systemic fluoride.

We use xylitol based toothpaste, etc. and like it.

MontrealMum
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
double post

MontrealMum
09-19-2008, 08:24 PM
That was a very interesting article, Beth, and I always like to see my hometown in the news ;) Could you point me towards anything similar about topical fluoride treatments? We are in the same situation as Melissa above, and I'd be interested in reading up on the subject.

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not chemist, but from what I've been told by dr's and dentists, topical fluoride is different than systemic fluoride.

FWIW, we *did* fluoride drops, but about 1/2 the dose that was recommended. Here, they say 1 drop per year of age. So, up to age 2 that means 1 drop per day (2 drops per day for age 2, and so on). Well, I did 1 drop every "few" days --ie, when I remembered. It probably worked out to about every third day. About the same timing as the Vitamin D.

HTH

brittone2
09-19-2008, 11:08 PM
off to bed, but I think topical is less concerning. The catch for me though is that some kids do end up swallowing fluoride applied topically. I personally think there are effective alternatives, and I choose to go that route (avoiding topical fluoride as well as systemic when possible).

I'll see if I can dig up more info on topical treatments in the next few days. That info is definitely tougher to find.

eta: off to bed, but here are some review abstracts:
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002782.html
http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab002781.html

pinkmomagain
09-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I still don't like my dentist, I was annoyed the hygenist (who was otherwise wonderful and playful about the cleaning) didn't *ask* me about the treatment, she *told* me he was getting the treatment -- uh, no, that's not how it works, lady.

I wouldn't be too hard on the hygenist. It's pretty standard to do flouride treatments at the average dentist's office. I imagine it almost like going to the ped's office and having your child's temperature taken, heart listened to etc. (although obviously flouride is a "treatment" and not a diagnostic tool...I'm just giving it as an example of a step in a routine at the office). You have every right as a parent to say "I prefer not to have my child receive a flouride treatment." But I don't think the hygenist can be faulted.

I'd imagine that a holistic/alternative med dentist would take a much different approach.