PDA

View Full Version : Ick! Someone in ds's class has head lice- what are the odds he'll get it?

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
A note just came home today saying that someone in his class has head lice and now iI am mildly freaking out. Is it likely that he will get it too?

As soon as I read the note I had ds get undressed and tossed the clothes and his backack on the porch till I can clean them.

I am hopeful we won't get this here. If we do, I know there are some old threads about it and I may ask a question or 2. Until then I am mostly interested in knowing how obsessed I should be with this now. Of course as soon as I read the note my head started tingling and itching. :)

Beth

egoldber
09-19-2008, 12:35 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Sarah got those notes 3 times last year and she never got them. ;)

It's actually worse in the winter when they have all their jackets and hats and stuff all squished and piled on top of each other.

SnuggleBuggles
09-19-2008, 12:37 PM
If it makes you feel any better, Sarah got those notes 3 times last year and she never got them. ;)

It's actually worse in the winter when they have all their jackets and hats and stuff all squished and piled on top of each other.

Whew! I'll hold on to hope then.

The note said to wash coats...but luckilg he really doesn't take anything with him to school besides his back pack and the clothes he is wearing.

Beth

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Head lice give me the heebie jeebies, more so than any other childhood-related thing. Seriously, the thought makes me gag.

My DDs' daycare is completely paranoid about them and the DCP drills into the kids to never share hats, combs, brushes, etc. She d/n have any toys that go on their heads (like dress-up hats).

I had a mild freak-out at DD#1's ballet lesson the other day, the instructor put "princess crowns" on each of the girls to get them to sit/stand up straight. Great idea, but the thought of DD#1 putting something on her head that is shared by other kids made me run home and go through her hair with a fine tooth comb. Seriously. Plus, DD#1 did not like putting on someone elses headgear and she's asked not to do it this Saturday. Fine by me. I've also called the dance studio and asked where I could purchase a crown for her to keep (they are getting back to me) and they said they would mention it to the instructor too.

My DCP says she always puts tea tree oil into regular shampoo and none of her own 6 kids ever got them. There are anti-lice shampoos on the 'net, some of which use rosemary. I'm thinking of putting both TTO and rosemary EO into the girls shampoo. However, both of them are neurotoxins, so not sure about that.... Sigh.

Tondi G
09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
you could try some of this stuff!

http://www.hairfairies.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=4

http://www.hairfairies.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=3

I am so happy when Lice goes around that I have boys... I can always shave their heads if needed! Lice gives me the heebie jeebies too!

~Tondi

Thatchermom
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm just waiting for the day...so I sympathize. I LOVE LOVE DS's school except for two things - they never have them cover up for messy projects (I leave an apron in DS's backpack for this after too many ruined clothes) and they require the kids to wear helmets while riding the trikes. That they provide, we can't store our own. I cringe every time I see him put one on...

sidmand
09-19-2008, 02:12 PM
No BTDT, I'm just waiting for the day because I have an irrational fear of lice! I remember my mom combing my hair when I was little...

I did mention it to my hairdresser and for any moms/dads that color their hair out there...he said he's never seen anyone who gets a foil or dyes their hair get lice. Something about the lice not liking the taste. I wasted many years worrying about every little itch on my own head! Now I just need to worry about DS and DD. I cringe too every time I see a shared head-wearing item.

kijip
09-19-2008, 03:49 PM
After T, J and I all got headlice last year from my nutso relatives carelessness, I became paranoid about getting it again. The lice itself does not actually gross me out (clearly though it is not comfortable to have!) but the sheer level of work to get the lice gone does overwhelm me, triggering the paranoia:ROTFLMAO:. We started using this for him every bath. No lice since then and we have recieved a few notes and one of his friends got it from school.

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/catalog/displayitem.asp?product=1

Of course not sharing stuff that comes into contact with the head is the most important thing.

ilfaith
09-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I did mention it to my hairdresser and for any moms/dads that color their hair out there...he said he's never seen anyone who gets a foil or dyes their hair get lice. Something about the lice not liking the taste. I wasted many years worrying about every little itch on my own head! Now I just need to worry about DS and DD. I cringe too every time I see a shared head-wearing item.

You could always get your kids highlights.

Head lice went around DS' school last year. Only one kid in Noah's class had them, but several kids in the boy's older sibling's class caught them. Noah's teacher was very vigilant, checking each kid daily for nits. We're lucky enough to be in Florida, where coats and hats aren't a concern, so I think you are fortunate to have this happen early in the school year, when the weather is still mild.

Melbel
09-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Of course as soon as I read the note my head started tingling and itching. :)

Beth

We have had 1 note, but fortunately, no lice. As I was reading your post, my head was already starting to tingle and itch. I laughed when I saw your quote above. Last week, I learned that DD1 was sharing brushes at school after swimming. I told her about lice and why it is important not to share brushes/combs. When I was discussing this with DD1, I was a bit dramatic to make my point. DD1 has since gotten all of the girls in her class totally freaked out about catching lice. Uhh, perhaps I went a little too far. At least they are no longer sharing brushes!

aes74
09-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Remember, lice like clean hair, so it can't hurt to put in gel and/or spray lightly with hairspray before they go out the door. I used to teach, and man we learned a lot of tricks!

And if your kid does get it, make sure you call the teacher. That way the nurse comes in immediately and checks everyone's hair so you can stop the spread in it's tracks. Nothing worse than kids passing it back and forth to each other.

Like the other mom, I dread lice not so much because it grosses me out (although it's not exactly happy time) but for all the WORK!

lizajane
09-20-2008, 09:52 PM
dude. what's the panic all about? i TOTALLY get the issue with all the work. lots of washing. total pain. but i can't even tell you how many times i got lice as a kid from elementary school. other than the washing (my poor mom!) it was just NOT a big deal.

SnuggleBuggles
09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Remember, lice like clean hair, so it can't hurt to put in gel and/or spray lightly with hairspray before they go out the door. I used to teach, and man we learned a lot of tricks!
!

Woo hoo! Maybe my low maintenance approach to bath time lately will turn out to be a good thing. :) I'll try the hairspray on Monday.

I have no time right now to have to scrub my house down if he gets it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Beth

bubbaray
09-20-2008, 10:56 PM
dude. what's the panic all about? i TOTALLY get the issue with all the work. lots of washing. total pain. but i can't even tell you how many times i got lice as a kid from elementary school. other than the washing (my poor mom!) it was just NOT a big deal.

See, I don't remember lice even being an issue when I was a kid. And, pretty much everyone on my mom's side of the family were teachers. I don't remember the subject even being discussed.

kijip
09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
See, I don't remember lice even being an issue when I was a kid. And, pretty much everyone on my mom's side of the family were teachers. I don't remember the subject even being discussed.
Climate matters a lot in how common lice are. They are quite common in really warm and humid places like the SE USA. Not so common in cooler/moderate climates.

egoldber
09-21-2008, 07:42 AM
I had them once in elementary school. But they were very, very common. FWIW I grew up in Kentucky, so south-ish. ;)

lizajane
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Climate matters a lot in how common lice are. They are quite common in really warm and humid places like the SE USA. Not so common in cooler/moderate climates.

yep. i am from VA.