PDA

View Full Version : Valco vs ABC double plus Toddler seat?

nellonello
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the toddler seat on either of these double strollers? My sister is pregnant with twins and she asked me to research this option as her older daughter will be 18 months when the twin are born. If you have used the toddler seat option any pros/cons you would like to share? Are there any other strollers she should be considering?

TIA

mom22
09-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I'll take a shot with my personal opinion, but I do not have a toddler, just 5.5 month old twins.

Regarding the Valco: I have it and I love it. Great stroller and I hear that it is still very easy to push with the toddler seat. And, the toddlers love sitting up high and in front! My concerns would be that 1.) the toddler seat does not recline, so that could certainly be an issue. 2.) How easy is it to get the twins in/out with the toddler strapped in?

Regarding the ABC: (I had to look it up online, BTW) I know nothing about the quality of this stroller, but it looks like the toddler seat reclines, so that's good. My concerns would be that 1.) your toddler faces backward and I think that they would constantly be trying to turn around. 2.) Wouldn't they be kicking your hands as you push the stroller? 3.) Is the stroller stable enough to have a (heavy?) toddler sitting above/behind the other 2 like that? Would it tip backwards if you had to get one of the twins out? 4.) The toddler could never climb in/out on her own. You'd always have to lift her and that might be an issue if she gets heavy enough.

Just my thoughts. HTH!

gatorsmom
09-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Regarding the ABC: (I had to look it up online, BTW) I know nothing about the quality of this stroller, but it looks like the toddler seat reclines, so that's good. My concerns would be that 1.) your toddler faces backward and I think that they would constantly be trying to turn around. 2.) Wouldn't they be kicking your hands as you push the stroller? 3.) Is the stroller stable enough to have a (heavy?) toddler sitting above/behind the other 2 like that? Would it tip backwards if you had to get one of the twins out? 4.) The toddler could never climb in/out on her own. You'd always have to lift her and that might be an issue if she gets heavy enough.

HTH!

I do not have the Valco but I do have the ABC Twin Everest with add-on toddler seats. Since I bought my stroller 15 months ago, I see on the website that Adventure Buggy company (ABC) has changed the add-on toddler seat to one that can recline. I don't have that seat. I have to say, that THAT is one of my 2 complaints about the stroller (my toddler is always falling asleep up top and I'd love to be able to recline him). The other complaint is the fold. It is a bear. And it is heavy so it's hard to lift up into the trunk of a car. Other than that, I LOVE this stroller. To answer the above poster's questions... No, the toddler on top rarely tries to turn around. My 3 yo loves to sit up there and have some face-to-face mommy time with me. He could try to turn around but I keep him secured in the 5 point harness. He gets bored easily but I have to say he's only tried turning around once and hasn't since. Also, the way his legs dangle, he just doesn't kick my hands. I've actually never thought about it until this post. It's never been an issue. Yes, the stroller is sturdy enough to not only have 1 heavy toddler, but 2. ABC offers a DOUBLE toddler add-on seat which could allow me to put 2 children on top. I have before put my 2 and 4yo boys up there (weighing 30lbs and 37lbs respectively) and it won't tip unless you are going up a steep hill. I discusssed this at length with the designer at ABC and he reassured me that the stroller was strong enough for this. It is VERY sturdy. Even with just the toddler up top, there is no tipping. The toddler seat is sitting directly over the center of gravity of this stroller. It is not going anywhere. No, the toddler can't get out on his own. You have to lift them out. But that is a small price to pay for this stroller.

The thing I like best about the Twin Everest is the fact that the babies can stay all enclosed in the side-by-side seats below. They can be securely snuggled in under the bug net/sunshade or storm cover and don't need to be disturbed if the toddler wants to ride on the stroller also. That was a great option this summer taking the babies and older boys to picnics and soccer practice. The twins were still too small to be sprayed with bug spray or sunscreen but I didn't need it because they were all enclosed on the bottom. I believe - and correct me if I'm wrong- with the Valco there's no way to cover the twins if the toddler seat is attached. I don't mind putting bug spray on my 3 yo who sits on top (although, you can buy the optional bug net/sunshade enclosure for the top seats), but I would rather not have to use it on the babies, kwim? And when the toddler wants to get down and walk, the empty toddler seat makes an excellent place to put shopping bags, etc.

I've posted about this stroller at length in this forum. If you do a search for Twin Everest, you'll probably find more info. hth!

ETA: here is a link to a detailed description I gave another poster of the ABC. There's also a link to their website with photos and videos : http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2174478#poststop hth!

nellonello
09-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the information. I will pass these posts on to my sister in the UK.

Kindra178
09-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I have been using my Valco with the toddler seat and I really like it. He shocks are great and the babies sleep soundly. It is def not a one handed push though. My toddler doesn't sleep in the stroller so the no recline issue isn"t an issue for us. I agree with Gatorsmom that the bugspray issue could be a problem, but here we are at the of bug season so it's not a problem for us. My toddler does turn around to harass the babies a bit - takes off their blankets, etc., but not a big deal.