PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a carpenter or have a s/o carpenter? Question re: materials and labor

janeybwild
09-19-2008, 02:09 PM
We’re looking at entryway organization systems. I love the one below from PB, but at $1300 it’s a lot of money. (I’ve also seen the Land of Nod system which is a little less but a bit more casual looking). I’m wondering how much it would cost to ask a carpenter to make something free standing like this. Given that you would be getting a unique and better made product if hand made, I’m wondering if I should expect it to be significantly more expensive. I’m clueless on what would be the cost for materials and how many labor hours something like this would take. Any input/thoughts or other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p11513/index.cfm?pkey=cmodular%2Dstorage%2Dbenches

shilo
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM
dunno about a free standing one, but the quote on our 'options' page in having the cabinet maker for our building project put one in our 'out the door' area by the garage was about $800, so a little more than half the PB one? it included the base cabinet with drawers to serve as the bottom bench, a simple beadboard panel up the back with hooks and an upper cab up above with doors for a 6' x 8' x 2' nook.

hth, lori

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 02:31 PM
If my DH ever responds to my email, I'll hopefully have a DIY cost from him (his hobby is woodworking). I LOVE THAT UNIT!!!!!!!!

ETA: he just responded with That's nice, I'd guess about $500 using maple press board (like the kitchen) and strips of maple wood."

So, I guess $500 for materials using a mix of press board/veneer and real wood. Labor obviously extra. I sent him an reply asking him how many hours labor.

bubbaray
09-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Just heard back from my DH. He said it would take him 4 full days. He's not a professional carpenter though -- just a woodworking hobbyist.

Now I'm trying to convince him to build one for us! :)

kijip
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
We have having some custom benches with storage built for our dining room (they will be in an L shape to fit along a specific corner) built by a local carpenter. It is considerably more expensive than something similar at pottery barn would be. Easily 2+ times as much. Unless you can DIY (have the tools and carpentry skills or have a family member with such skills, making it will exceed the cost of buying it once you factor in labor. Wood is freakishly pricey right now too...our chicken coop cost over $500 for materials alone and it's not very fancy!

ECMom
09-19-2008, 08:45 PM
LL Bean has something that is somewhat similar for $299:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=53938&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5271&cat4=3163

ThreeofUs
09-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Our carpenter quoted something around $350 plus materials. He said he'd assemble at his place and put in ours. We didn't want drawers though. We wanted baskets that would allow air flow.

(I have awful childhood memories of dirty, gunky entryway drawers that smelled like mold from all the wet things that were dumped in them! )

janeybwild
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess it's worth checking it out with someone locally. I appreciate the advice.:bighand: