PDA

View Full Version : New Models

aggie01
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm a first time mommy due in Feb...I have already started researching all baby products and don't leave home without my Baby Bargains book! Since my baby won't arrive until 2009, I was wondering when manufactors release their new models/lines...Should I wait until later to pick things out so I can get the latest and greatest? Confused about when the new products hit the stores and wondering if anyone knew or had any advice!

WatchingThemGrow
09-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes, I think waiting is good. You can narrow things down, then actually register for the newer models that are out then. good thinking!!

aggie01
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Do you know when the new models hit the stores (big ticket items like car seat, stroller, high chair, pack n play, etc)?...I don't want to wait and then the new models still not be there in January when I need to have everything and have waited for nothing :)

WatchingThemGrow
09-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh, Jan? I don't know. I wouldn't count on things being changed over then. I thought you meant later in the year. Go ahead and register, then just update your registry when the new products appear. That will be easy with an online registry. Some of the stuff you won't need right away (like a high chair), so you can wait on those if you really want to make sure you have the newest stuff. Then again, the prices usually increase with new models... Sorry to not have a really good answer for you. Maybe someone else will!

Ok, oops...you did say Feb. Sorry!

maestramommy
09-19-2008, 04:06 PM
I think it really depends on the item. For something like a carseat, you might want to wait until a month before you're due to buy IF you're interested in a new cover or somethng. One thing I remember about the book is that they do say if the new model has a significant change.

But for things like clothing, linens, toys, bathtubs, I don't think it makes much difference. And just a little hint, since this is your first baby - most times the latest and greatest will not make a bit of difference to your baby.

And congratulations!

lorinick
09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
If your talking about a store like BRU. Most of the 09 model years are in. They will still come in through Jan. But Britax already sent there new patterns out. Chicco has as well. You can ask someone their it the item is new or old. Also the scanner should beep it item is low or being disc. If you list a certain item I'll try and tell you if the item is old or new in BRU. I would regisrtry now and put everything on there. If a new car seat/stroller comes out you can always exchange the item. At least you'll have that credit to get what ever you want or need at a later date. Happy Registring!

lorinick
09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
If your talking about a store like BRU. Most of the 09 model years are in. They will still come in through Jan. But Britax already sent there new patterns out. Chicco has as well. You can ask someone their it the item is new or old. Also the scanner should beep it item is low or being disc. If you list a certain item I'll try and tell you if the item is old or new in BRU. I would regisrtry now and put everything on there. If a new car seat/stroller comes out you can always exchange the item. At least you'll have that credit to get what ever you want or need at a later date. Happy Registring!

gatorsmom
09-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I just wanted to add that the latest is not always the greatest. There might be features about some product that have changed with a newer model that worked better before. And sometimes the colors you want are discontinued. Oh, and yeah, the newer the model, usually the more expensive it is.

Welcome to the boards, btw. My DH is an Aggie and never lets me forget it! :)

sariana
09-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Sometimes it is better to get an older model that has good reviews and has been shown to be safe. If there is a change to something like a car seat, you will have trouble finding safety reviews, for example. Even the best brands have recalls, so why not stick with what has already been well reviewed?