PDA

View Full Version : Anybody knows anything about running shoes?

marit
09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I want to get a new pair of running shoes. I am actually going to use it in the gym, walking and hopefully some running in the near future :)

I looked at the New Balance website and there are so many I just don't know where to start my research...

I think I want something lightweight, but also one where the heal is a little elevated (I found a lightweight one but it said it is "close to the ground" or something like that).

Thanks!

jenmcadams
09-19-2008, 03:58 PM
If you're like me and prefer to do lots of shopping online, you're not going to like this answer, but if you want shoes that properly fit your foot and are the right shoe for the way your foot strikes when you walk/run, you need to go to a store that specializes in running shoes (not footlocker, more like Fleet Feet or Runner's Roost) and have them help you. The best stores are ones that do videotape analysis and have you run or walk on a treadmill in a neutral shoe and then from that they help you figure out the right shoes for your foot, gait, etc.

maestramommy
Is there a Road Runner or other running store near you? You might want to go there to try on shoes, talk to the salespeople about your exercise needs. They can help you get the right shoes.

I've been using Asics for years. I used to wear Saucony but I found out I had an issue with my patellar tendon, and I need some kind of extra support in the arch, as well as something to keep me from over pronating. I loved visiting the RR because they had a treadmill I could run on, and the salesperson would watch my gait. They also have a bin for used running shoes that they donate.

bubbaray
Take an old pair of shoes and go to a running shoe specialty store. They need to see how your shoes wear and how you walk/run in different models to help you get the best fit.

GL

WatchingThemGrow
09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Yup - go get fitted. I found one I like and always buy it - even though I don't really run anymore - waaah. My neighbor goes to an independently owned running store and tries new ones out periodically and they allow returns until you find something that works well - or something like that!

I didn't realize Fleet Feet is in CO too. The corp. hq. are in our town, I believe.

citymama
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
I concur with all the others about going to a good, local running store where runners shop. That's the best place to start. If you really want to buy online, Zappos.com has really good info about the relative merits and cons of different running shoes, in terms of running surface, pronating, motion stabilization, etc. But you really need to start with a good shoe store!

tylersmama
09-19-2008, 04:09 PM
:yeahthat:

A good running specialty store will have you run on the treadmill and videotape it so they can play it back and see how the shoe and your foot are working together. They should have you try at least a couple of different pairs of shoes to see what kind of support/stability you need. The great part about a store like that is that they will guarantee the shoe. So even if you go and run outside in the shoe a few times, if they fit you incorrectly and it's not working, they will exchange it for you. Heck, my store even exchanged a pair with 30 outdoor miles on them for something that was completely my own fault!

Once you KNOW that a pair of shoes works for you, you can buy online, but if you're going to be running, you want to make sure you get fit, and that you get fit RIGHT (so, yeah, don't go to Foot Locker, or Dick's, or Sports Authority or any of those big chains...).

Good luck!

bethie_73
09-19-2008, 05:39 PM
:yeahthat: I agree that you need to go to a store and get fitted. Also when you run, you may end up going up a size or so, and remember that if you do start running, you will need to make sure you are trading in old shoes, they only last 2-5 month depending on how often you run... IME but that is me :)

lizajane
09-19-2008, 07:07 PM
sorry... one more... you HAVE to go to a store to be fitted. why? because wearing the wrong shoes is how you get injured-especially overuse injuries that are the hardest to overcome. if you pronate, your feet turn IN or roll in, and if you suponate (sp?) your feet turn OUT, or roll out. there is a VERY big difference in shoes for these two types of runners.

i pronate (a LOT) and i swear by Brooks. i like the addiction or adrenaline. the one that used to be called the beast is rockin' for a larger runner with a major pronation. i think they renamed it the ariel?

my DH suponates. (for heaven's sake, how do you spell that?) and he wears saucony.

new balance is awesome for my brother who has super duper wide feet.

nikes are actually not so great, according to my running store.

MIL got some from the running store for walking after suffering plantar facetis??? (sp???)

JMS
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
One more to add to the consensus. Go to a running store and have someone trained fit you. I'm only comfortable and well supported in Saucony. But even within the Saucony line, so models fit much better than others. GL!

squimp
09-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Just one more thought. Let the folks at the store know what you'll be doing. If you're going to use them in the gym for anything besides running, a running shoe might not be great because they are designed for forward motion only. For court use you need shoes with support for lateral motion (side-to-side) as well, and actually trail runners have more lateral support. So a trail running shoe (as long as it doesn't cost a fortune) could be a good choice.

And definitely go to a store and try things. I have really high arches, and Nikes work best for me. Each shoe is different.

caheinz
09-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Definitely get fitted at a specialty store!

And don't avoid doing so for the price alone. The pair I ended up with (and loved while I ran -- hope to pick it up again in the spring!) was much cheaper from the local independent running store than I could find online. (I was thinking about getting a second pair that way, but I couldn't get anywhere near the same price!

marit
09-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. I won't buy online... I promise!

Does anybody know a good running store in the bay area?

tylersmama
09-19-2008, 11:59 PM
my DH suponates. (for heaven's sake, how do you spell that?) <snip>
MIL got some from the running store for walking after suffering plantar facetis??? (sp???)

Supinate. And fascitis. ;)

bubbaray
09-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Supinate. And fascitis. ;)

fasciitis (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508) ;)

tylersmama
09-20-2008, 12:32 AM
See, that's what happens when you've been out of college for 10 years and dealing with a patient population that doesn't typically get plantar fasciitis. At least I was a little closer than Liza. :p

ellies mom
09-20-2008, 03:07 AM
You should have a Fleet Feet.

And another reason you should go to a real running store is that what the websites say you need and what you really need may be different. A lot of times websites make their recommendations based on arch height and while that does work for a lot of people it may not hold true for everyone. For example, I have freakishly high arches so I should supinate but it turns out that because of my jacked up knees I actually pronate slightly. Also they usually let you run around a bit so you can find out picky little things. For example, I used to love Nike's Air Pegasus but they changed the position of the "leather strips" on top and now my feet slide forward going down hill. Or maybe the bit across the toe will hit just wrong on your foot. So don;t be afraid to try on several shoes in all sorts of differents brands.