PDA

View Full Version : Adoption "shower"; older kids advice

Melaine
09-20-2008, 09:12 AM
I am super excited for our friends who are soon to be bringing home 4 yo and 5 yo girls from Ethiopia....there will be a shower in a couple weeks. These are friends of ours from college, mid 20's, and these are their first kids...I can't imagine how overwhelmed and thrilled they are!!
Ideas for gifts? Should I go for practical or totally fun? Like I was wondering if I should do a basket of kid friendly/healthy snacks with maybe a small personal item for each girl and stuff or should I go for toys or clothing....or something handmade? I won't be able to spend a whole lot of money. TIA! I would LOVE to adopt one day it just warms my heart!:love5:

KBecks
09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't do the snacks, I'd do something that lasts, perhaps some books or something personal for each child. Maybe crafted jewelry?

JBaxter
09-20-2008, 10:47 AM
I would do something for each of the girls. Maybe hair supplies, little girl jewlery, fun socks or slippers, flavored chap sticks, small lotions. I would try to do as many of the same ( maybe different colors or flavors) that way each would have the same. You could put them in a personalized tote ( fabric paint and totes from craft stores arnt expensive)

jgenie
09-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I would do a special baby doll for each girl. There will be lots of new things all at once - it would be nice to have something special to cuddle up with.

Melaine
09-20-2008, 12:07 PM
I would do a special baby doll for each girl. There will be lots of new things all at once - it would be nice to have something special to cuddle up with.

I really like that idea! thanks everyone....this will be fun to shop for.

mommy111
09-20-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree with the baby doll or teddy bear or something idea. Something for the girls to cuddle up to and feel safe with, because they will be in such a new place. If you're crafty, maybe something that emphasizes the family, like a bracelet or a necklace with mom, dad and the sisters' names. Or a little necklace that will hold a family photo. Or a scrapbook/abum/memory book style thing for the girls to keep in things that they find new and interesting about their new home (but they may be a little young for that!). Or, if you want a more practical gift, maybe something warm for the winter, or a blanket to cuddle up in or a little patchwork quilt, if you want to do more work. Depending on where yourfriends are located, this may be the girls' first experience of the cold, and I am sure that may well be very intimidating.
Good luck, I am so excited for your friends!

Melaine
09-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Ohhhh more good ideas. Maybe the hand-tied fleece blankets (that's about on my level of craftiness)! Photo albums ideas would be fun too...I just started thinking since this shower is before they will be here maybe I can give a practical gift now and then a frivilous one once they come! yay....I love finding gifts! I just wish I had an endless supply of money to buy stuff!

crayonblue
09-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh, I am SO excited for your friends!!! And whoever is throwing the shower is awesome! Way too often families bring their kids home and get nothing.

My favorite gift to give is pajamas! I love Children's Place 100% cotton two piece long-sleeved pajama sets. I think they are about $10. My almost 5 year old wears these and they have held up well.

Jewelry would be fun. Blankets, books, etc.

I would be so excited to come to that shower! Have fun! :)

I hope you do adopt someday. It is an amazing experience.

CAM7
09-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Maybe a gift card for a book store? They can get parenting, cookbooks, memory books for the girls.

How fun!