PDA

View Full Version : A little scared--may have a fractured tooth

lmintzer
09-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi, all. At risk of sounding like a wimp (I know people post about much more serious medical issues), I am a little nervous that I may have a cracked tooth. I had two teeth filled last week, and then yesterday, I went in for a bite adjustment because I still could not eat on them. The dentist warned me to be in the look out for shooting pain that feels like a shock when I bite down. At the time, I said I thought it wasn't that bad, but now I realize that I've been completely avoiding chewing on those two teeth. When I gingerly tried to bite on them yesterday, I did get a little bit of a shock (though not as bad as he said it could be).

Fractured teeth are diagnosed purely by report of symptoms. So I don't want to run the risk of overreacting and having the poor tooth (or teeth) drilled again if not necessary. But what happens if it is fractured? Will I need a root canal? Lose the tooth? I'm a little freaked out by that thought--I'm turning 36 next week. I just can't lose a tooth! I keep thinking, "I'm too young for this."
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks! : )

Swimfreak78
09-20-2008, 09:45 AM
My dentist has a call number for the weekends - you might call and see if he can look at it today.

lmintzer
09-20-2008, 08:48 PM
I think it can wait until Mon. morning. It hurts, but it's not horrible pain.

I was more hoping to hear about others' experience with this and what was done treatment-wise.

TIA.

bubbaray
09-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually, my DH is dealing with this. He stuck it out for a year and is finally going back in soon to have the filling re-done. I'm not sure what the options are, I try to avoid talking teeth! He's none too happy about it, though.

traumarn
09-20-2008, 11:11 PM
good news: it's not a cracked tooth....i actually had a root canal started wed for one...by symptoms...a cracked tooth generally does not hurt -even to bite with, unless the food is cold or hot(as opposed to 'mouth temp')...that's what got me to my dentist...he said in a cracked tooth, the nerve begins to liquify as it dies...so cold makes the tooth contract, causing pain, and hot does the opposite..makes it expand. he did a quick 'cold test' on me to confirm it.
you may just be having lingering pain from the procedure...but best to call the dentist tomorrow, anyway....
good luck!!!

toothfairy
09-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I always see posts about teeth waaay after the OP, so I don't know if I can help now, but ..........Sometimes, especially after composite (tooth colored) fillings are put in, the teeth can be quite sensitive to biting. This could go away on its own, so I might wait just a bit longer to see. Cracked teeth are tough to diagnose, but the hallmark reaction of a cracked tooth is to cause pain that lingers for more than about 10 seconds AFTER RELEASE of your bite on something, not when actually biting down.
I've seen teeth with new composite fillings react to just about anything--sweet foods, cold, hot, biting.
Maybe this is reassuring? But without testing the tooth myself I can't diagnose for certain. Hopefully it is not a crack. I would go back if the discomfort doesn't resolve in the next two-three weeks and have him check again.

Amy

lmintzer
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Amy. I still haven't been brave enough to bite down with full force. It's still hurts, but maybe I will just wait. It is a composite filling, and it's not the first filling for that tooth. The tooth decayed beyond the original one, so I'm sure there was a fair bit of trauma to the tooth just being drilled another time.

It's funny--my dentist said nothing about the 10 second thing. He stressed the type of pain (electric shock, which I translated as nerve pain) as the hallmark feature. Even so, I think I'll wait a bit and see. As long as I'm not running the risk of getting some serious infection.

Thanks! :)