PDA

View Full Version : car bottle warmer

nckd
09-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone,

I did a search for bottle warmers and I couldnt find any thing on car warmers. My daughter will not take a cold bottle. Does anyone have suggestions on car warmers? We travel a lot, so that's my main reason for wanting one.

Thanks for your help.

GlindaGoodWitch
09-20-2008, 12:49 PM
I've seen them at BRU beside the regular warmers. We actually have one, but they don't work with the drop in bottles we were using, so as I recall what we would do on the road is : go to a fast food place, order something (so I wouldn't feel bad) and ask for about 1/2 to 3/4 of hot water in a coffee cup. We would then submerge the bottle until warm enough and then dump the water.

We would keep the cup so at the next stop we just needed water. It's what we did for long plane rides as well. Would that work?

MontrealMum
09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
We got trapped by a baby used to heated bottles as well, and a refusal to b/f in public/on the road; so we had several different solutions.

You can buy a warmer by Prince Lionheart (there may be other brands, that's the one we had) that works along the same lines as those liquid crystal handwarmers. There's a piece of metal in the gel pack that you snap, this starts the warming process, and you zip the bottle into the bag and wait a bit. The downside is you can only use it once before the pack needs to be refreshed in the microwave. We got that as a gift, and didn't actually use it that often, but it worked fine. Instead, we usually, we took a small thermos filled with boiling water, a plastic cup large enough to accomodate the bottle, and just warmed the bottle in water, in the car. It took a few minutes. We always had a tote with food and a thermos for ourselves, so this wasn't that much of an addition. As we are avid XC skiers and the facilities aren't always all that plush, this was best for us; also, you can do more than one bottle if needed.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know about portable electric warmers. If you're set on that, I'd check out the automotive section in your local hardware (I'd say Canadian Tire, but that's only if you're in Canada) and see if they sell car lighter adaptors that you could use with a regular warmer. You'd have to bring the water anyways, though, as they work with water, so you might be better off just bringing it warm in a thermos.

SammyeGail
09-20-2008, 02:55 PM
We tried bottle warmers, none really worked. We went the same route as PP, usually stopping at convience store and getting hot water from the other side of the coffee pot (where to get water to make hot tea) and a big cup. Just wait on the milk to warm up.

We took the same route from home to my mom's place so knew where to stop. If you don't know what's on your route or its spread out, thats a great suggestion about a thermos and a big cup, wish we would have thought about that, it would have saved us a stop or 2.

Good luck!

Samantha

randomkid
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I'd recommend the thermos with hot water route. I had a car bottle warmer and it was a royal pain to use. Not only that, it made the bottle incredibly hot! The milk was warm, but the bottle was too hot to give to DD. I only used it a few times, then tossed it.

traumarn
09-20-2008, 11:05 PM
aoutozone or kragen's should have something that will work...but i'd bet $20 that loves.com does...they are a nationwide truck-stop/gas station co that sells lots of trucker-type stuff...from cookers to coolers to cb's...they should have something....you can order their stuff online.
good luck....

ps: assumed you have googled 'car bottle warmer', too...

nov04
09-20-2008, 11:19 PM
We always carried a slim thermos and plastic cup with us everywhere. We tried a few warmers and they either got recalled or didn't work.

khm
09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
I had a bottle warmer that plugged into the cigarette lighter. It worked fine. It took awhile, but did it's job.

I got it at BRU, I honestly don't remember what brand it was, but it wrapped around the bottle, you clamped it, and plugged it in. I'd hold it and rotate the bottle from time to time. I thawed out partially frozen breastmilk this way, as well as just warming up milk.