PDA

View Full Version : Safe meds for menstrual cramps while breastfeeding?

misshollygolightly
09-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I've been EBF since Jonah was born almost three months ago, but got my period back last month :irked: Now it's here again and I'm having terrible cramps. Anyone know what otc meds are safe and effective for cramps while breastfeeding? My inlaws are here visiting for the weekend and I can't politely stay curled up on the couch the whole time.

npace19147
09-20-2008, 12:29 PM
You can check on kellymom.com for great BF'ing info like that. I'm pretty sure that advil and motrin are both safe, but that's a great site to check in general.

lisams
09-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Motrin and Tylenol are both safe. I took Motrin right after giving birth and the nurses said it's totally safe. I'm sorry you're having to deal with AF and your inlaws!

o_mom
09-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Tylenol, Motrin/Advil (ibuprofen) and Naproxen are all safe.

misshollygolightly
09-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks mamas! Fortunately the inlaws are great--it's just hard to have both Aunt Flo AND other house guests at the same time (plus a 3 month old!)! Gonna go get me some Motrin :-)

maestramommy
09-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Ibuprofen is safe for bfing. I believe you can safely take up to 600 mg at a time. At least, the LC I was seeing said I could take that for bf soreness, so I assume it's also fine for cramps.

pastrygirl
09-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Have you ever tried the stick-on heating pads? I swear by them when I have cramps. They are SO GOOD. I buy the Beyond Bodi Heat brand because they seem to be one of the least expensive (I can buy a 10-pack from drugstore.com for $10). They are even better when paired with Advil, but sometimes I can even get away without Advil.