PDA

View Full Version : Trailblazers Math - Piggy-back on KJIP's post

mamicka
09-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I've spent so much time just worrying about the logistics of DS being in K now (food allergies, etc) that I didn't think about anything else. Katie's post got me thinking (& now I think I'm ready) about curriculum.

Our school district uses Math Trailblazers (Kendall/Hunt). They also say they supplement with additional materials. Does anyone have any opinion on this curriculum? Good or bad?

Thanks for any comments.

kransden
09-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry no, but if the teacher doesn't think it is working for the kids, she'll supplement. If your child is in a standard public school, I wouldn't be too concerned.

kijip
09-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I found a bunch of information (articles, parent and teacher reviews) of the various math curriculum/materials used in the Seattle area by googling things like "Everyday Math Feedback" and "(insert program name) rankings from teachers and parents". I also found my state's ranking of the top ten various programs, which they released very recently.

It is the second bullet point from the bottom (PDF format) labeled:

K-8 Core/Comprehensive Preliminary Report and Results

on this site:

http://www.k12.wa.us/CurriculumInstruct/publishernotices.aspx

I learned at a school board meeting that people dislike our math program so much many are pulling out of the district. Ugh, and math is pretty much my personal #1 concern curriculum wise.