PDA

View Full Version : Writing in K - Lucy Calkins method

mamicka
09-20-2008, 02:40 PM
This is being used in our school district as part of the "Balanced Literacy" program. Reading curriculum isn't specified but includes guided reading, shared reading, independent reading by student, read alouds by teacher, word of the week, letter of the week. Handwriting is Zaner-Bloser method.

Anyone have any comments about this, good or bad?

WatchingThemGrow
09-20-2008, 03:07 PM
If the teachers are well-trained, and getting good literacy support/training/materials (i.e. - not just "saying" they are doing balanced literacy and really doing old school stuff) it's all good. The letter of the week and Z-B thing are not what our district taught, so I can't say. We did Handwriting Without Tears and moved through the letters daily with that curriculum. I loved teaching students with it.

mecawa
09-20-2008, 03:32 PM
A lot of districts use that method (or something very similar) as their approach to reading in a balanced literacy program. I used something very similar in one of the districts in which I taught and I liked it and I think it worked well especially with grade 1. I felt it worked well in establishing reading fluency but also broke up the routine enough that the children did not become bored. I never used letter of the week, the district in which I taught K had a totally different approach to teaching Reading (had a VERY strict phonics program, learning sound before letter name, etc.) but know of many Kindergartens that do use this with great success. The handwriting program I am not familiar with at all, both districts I worked in used D'Neilian handwriting/approach to handwriting.

MelissaTC
09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
DS's school uses Open Court Reading from SRA/McGraw-Hill. For handwriting, they use Handwriting Without Tears.

caleymama
09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
DD's school just started using Fundations (http://www.fundations.com/) this year. It was piloted in another school in the district last year and I guess was very well liked. It has a handwriting component. She did not use it in K last year, but this year it is being used with the K students as well. Not sure about any of the higher grades.

I just had such a flashback when I read your post, mecawa - I remember using the D'Nealian method in elementary school.

ETA: Her first grade classroom does Balanced Literacy (reading, writing, listening, speaking). This includes read aloud, shared reading, guided reading, independent reading, shared writing, interactive writing, guided writing, independent writing. What she did in K sounds similar to what you describe, Allison. I don't think they started their guided reading groups in K until around half way through the year.

egoldber
09-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Reading curriculum isn't specified but includes guided reading, shared reading, independent reading by student, read alouds by teacher, word of the week, letter of the week. Handwriting is Zaner-Bloser method.

Sarah's district uses Zaner-Bloser. It's very similar to HWOT (which is what she did with her OT).

Their reading is similar also. They do guided reading (their groups actually start next week), etc. She didn't start at this school until 1st, so she didn't do word and letter of the week, but I think the K at her school does this. In first and second that do "Word Study" studying various types of word families each week.

My one problem with this program, at least the way they do it in her district, is they don't differentiate for really advanced readers. It think it works very well for below grade level to slightly above grade level readers. But she's basically been twiddling her thumbs in reading since she started. Their emphasis is on getting kids who are not good readers to become strong readers. If your kid is already a strong reader, they mainly work on writing and test taking skills.

overcome
09-20-2008, 08:32 PM
My one problem with this program, at least the way they do it in her district, is they don't differentiate for really advanced readers. It think it works very well for below grade level to slightly above grade level readers. But she's basically been twiddling her thumbs in reading since she started. Their emphasis is on getting kids who are not good readers to become strong readers. If your kid is already a strong reader, they mainly work on writing and test taking skills.

That is a shame. The whole point of guided reading is to be teaching the students on their instructional reading level. When I taught first grade (for 17 years) in one class I might have a group of students reading on a B level, and another reading on an M level.

I am not surprised their emphasis is on getting kids who are not strong readers to become strong readers. This is probably a direct result of No Child Left Behind. I'll tell you who gets left behind....student like your daughter who are doing well and/or above grade level. Since schools don't have to worry about how she'll do on a standardized test, their efforts ARE on the other students. I'll admit that is a generalization on my part. Certainly there are many many schools who do address the needs of above level learners, but more often then not, emphasis is on the students who are struggling (who, of course, do deserve and need the help...not debating that). It is not easy.

OP, sounds like your school's program will be great. I am a HUGE proponent of Guided Reading. Also, I can't stress enough the importance of reading aloud, so I am glad your school actually specified this as part of their reading instruction.

You mentioned there is not a specific reading curriculum....I think you meant a specific reading program/book/series. Your school has to have a curriculum in place, based on state standards, but they can deliver that curriculum through a variety of approaches.

I used to teach Zaner Bloser and then Handwriting w/o Tears came along. I liked both programs.

Hope your year goes well!

ETA: oops! I almost forgot...I ADORE LUCY CALKINS!! She is truly the guru of writing for young children. It will be such a joy to watch your dd progress in her writing as the year goes by.

mamicka
09-20-2008, 08:52 PM
You mentioned there is not a specific reading curriculum....I think you meant a specific reading program/book/series. Your school has to have a curriculum in place, based on state standards, but they can deliver that curriculum through a variety of approaches.

You are correct - thanks for giving me the right words. Thanks for your other input as well!

mamicka
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM

I'm sorry this is happening at your school. This is my main fear regarding education. I don't think my child is a genius, far from it, but I know that he's above grade level in several subjects. I don't think it will necessarily be an issue in K as he's having a great time just being with the other kids all day. But as he gets older & school gets less social, will it be geared to his level or will he be bored?

Thanks for your input, Beth.

jd11365
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
How do I feel about Lucy Calkins? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

mommy111
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
DD's school just started using Fundations (http://www.fundations.com/) this year.

ETA: Her first grade classroom does Balanced Literacy (reading, writing, listening, speaking). This includes read aloud, shared reading, guided reading, independent reading, shared writing, interactive writing, guided writing, independent writing. What she did in K sounds similar to what you describe, Allison. I don't think they started their guided reading groups in K until around half way through the year.

Are there any resources out there, maybe for teachers, that explain balanced literacy and how to go about doing this. I would really like to work on this with DD since I'm not sure, with being overseas, how strong the English curriculum is and she may need some supplementation.

traciann
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
I am going to school for elementary education, and we are learning about balanced literacy. I have heard great things about Lucy Calkins...my literacy professor loves her.

caleymama
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Are there any resources out there, maybe for teachers, that explain balanced literacy and how to go about doing this. I would really like to work on this with DD since I'm not sure, with being overseas, how strong the English curriculum is and she may need some supplementation.

The packet of information DD's teacher sent home from Meet the Teacher night goes into it more - here's some info from the various handouts included:

Balanced Literacy: In a Balanced Literacy program, all children have both the opportunities and the resources to develop the language arts strategies reading, writing, listening, speaking, and viewing. It is the process of reading and writing to, with, and by children.

From Home-School Connection, Scott Foresman and Company:
First graders are exited about learning and learn by playing. First graders like to pretend and imitate others and listen to books and storytellers, especially fairy tales, animal stories, rhyming and repetitive stores. First graders read by using the pictures to tell a story, memorizing parts of a story, pretending to read a story, reading signs, recognizing letters and putting sounds to them. First graders write by drawing, scribbling, printing letters, putting letters together to make words. How you can help your child: read to your child frequently, talk with your child a lot - about books, tv programs, cooking, anything! Let your child see you reading and writing, help your child use reading and writing at home - use a recipe to cook, write a grocery list, write a letter. Visit the library with your child - often! Give books as gifts, praise your child's attempts at reading and writingbut don't expect perfection, ask your child to read and write in his or her "own way."

There's also an overview of Balanced Literacy, but it's lengthy and I would imagine you could find similar info by googling.

HTH :)

jamesmom
09-21-2008, 08:03 AM
DS' school district uses Zaner-Blosser which seems very similar to HWOT, which was used in DS' OT sessions. It's great for DS because he has fine and gross motor skills delays. I can see it being more boring for a child who already reads and writes though.

egoldber
09-21-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm quite sure this is because of NCLB.

When I taught first grade (for 17 years) in one class I might have a group of students reading on a B level, and another reading on an M level.

Sarah was in a group reading M level books. The problem is at home she was reading S and T level books. There were other kids in her group that were also capable of a lot more advanced reading, but the school told me that in first and second they concentrate mostly on reading mechanics and if a kid doesn't need that, then they work mainly on writing.

Don't get me wrong, she needs the writing practice, but at the same time I hate it when she complains that the books are boring and she's already read most of them.

mommy111
09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
The packet of information DD's teacher sent home from Meet the Teacher night goes into it more - here's some info from the various handouts included:

Balanced Literacy: In a Balanced Literacy program, all children have both the opportunities and the resources to develop the language arts strategies reading, writing, listening, speaking, and viewing. It is the process of reading and writing to, with, and by children.

From Home-School Connection, Scott Foresman and Company:
First graders are exited about learning and learn by playing. First graders like to pretend and imitate others and listen to books and storytellers, especially fairy tales, animal stories, rhyming and repetitive stores. First graders read by using the pictures to tell a story, memorizing parts of a story, pretending to read a story, reading signs, recognizing letters and putting sounds to them. First graders write by drawing, scribbling, printing letters, putting letters together to make words. How you can help your child: read to your child frequently, talk with your child a lot - about books, tv programs, cooking, anything! Let your child see you reading and writing, help your child use reading and writing at home - use a recipe to cook, write a grocery list, write a letter. Visit the library with your child - often! Give books as gifts, praise your child's attempts at reading and writingbut don't expect perfection, ask your child to read and write in his or her "own way."

There's also an overview of Balanced Literacy, but it's lengthy and I would imagine you could find similar info by googling.

HTH :)

Thank you so much, Liz!

jk3
09-21-2008, 06:58 PM
How do I feel about Lucy Calkins? :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I am a fan of her work too but I'm not starstruck by her after attending 4 reading + writing projects!

The best part of Balanced Literacy is that it is not a "program" like Zaner Bloser or any of the others. Teachers act as researchers and tailor their programs to fit the needs of the children in their care. They challenge those in need of challenge and support those who need it.

overcome
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Sarah was in a group reading M level books. The problem is at home she was reading S and T level books. There were other kids in her group that were also capable of a lot more advanced reading, but the school told me that in first and second they concentrate mostly on reading mechanics and if a kid doesn't need that, then they work mainly on writing.

That is not right. Your school should be providing an education for everyone, not just students who are reading up to level M.
:hopmad:

egoldber
09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
No, it isn't right, but it's a reality in many public schools. Accommodations for advanced students are often very difficult to get when school funding is tied to getting all students (even ESL and the lowest performing students) testing at grade level.