PDA

View Full Version : Montessori moms: Are your school AMI or AMS listed?

kusumat
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I am very interested in a local Montessori school down the street but it is not listed either on AMI or AMS. I heard that some school just claimed to be one but was actually not. What are your thought? TIA!

LBW
09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
We've used both - an AMS accredited school and a school that used Montessori methods, but was not accredited by either society. I greatly prefer the AMS accredited school. The Head of school is actually president of AMS at the moment. It's a terrific, child-centered place with caring staff who have been teaching there forever, a beautiful facility, fantastic families, and an emphasis on cultural education that I appreciate.

My experience, though, probably doesn't translate to every situation. If we moved and were looking at Montessori schools in the future I wouldn't rule out a school because it doesn't have society affiliation. I'd ask how long the staff have been there and where they were trained -- that makes the biggest difference IME. I'm sure there are some terrific schools out there that utilize Maria Montessori's teaching methods in part or in whole, but which are not accredited by one of the societies.

dhano923
09-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, DS goes to a montessori school that is AMS accredited.

Asianmommy
09-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Ours is AMS accredited and a lab school of Montessori Education Centers Associated, a Montessori teacher preparation program.

Melanie
09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
We've not attended either, but I'd be wary to attend a school that just uses a name without enough follow-through to get accreditation. HOWEVER, if you just like the school for what it is based upon what you've seen, then I guess it wouldn't matter, right?

MontrealMum
09-20-2008, 11:39 PM
A "true" Montessori school is only one that has either AMI or AMS status. This means that all of their teachers and teacher's aides have Montessori training at an approved school, and that all of their materials follow the Montessori Method.

It does not mean that a school that bills itself as Montessori-style, or following Montessori's teaching is entirely unaccredited, or necessarily a bad school. Or even trying to pass itself off as something that it's not. There are different levels of accreditation. Many of these types of schools are part of the public or Catholic school systems, and as such, still accredited schools, but not as Montessori schools if that makes sense. They just don't have that extra stamp that means that other teaching styles and curricula might not be mixed in. This is not necessarily a case of lack of follow-through, it is generally the result of deliberate planning. It means that they haven't chosen to follow the extremely specific curriculum whole hog, or hire exclusively trained Montessori teachers. Not being Montessori trained also does not necessarily mean being without a teaching certificate. It just means that the teacher/aide has not had that additional Montessori training.

Each school like this is different, and every parent has to decide their own comfort level with it. Some are great, some aren't. I would ask for an observation time (a Montessori standard) and an interview with the director/directress to see how you like the place before discounting it entirely.

ETA: you can check out the schools in your area here, and get some info on - AMI: http://www.montessori-ami.org/ and AMS: http://www.amshq.org/ Both sites have school listings and an explanation of the Method, teacher training process, and accreditation. IIRC, AMI is the one that more strictly adheres to Dr. Montessori's teachings and that all teachers be certified AMI, while I think that AMS offers a bit more leeway on the teacher certification. But it's been a loooong time since I taught. AMI is more common internationally, while AMS is more common in the US.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
09-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Ours is AMI.

If you're looking for a school that closely adheres to the mont. principles and you really want that method for your child I'd highly recommend that you search for a mont. accredited school. For a school to be mont. acc. the teachers must have undergone mont. training plus the school must meet several other criteria. Without that meeting these requirements you cannot be mont. which makes sense since having a trained directress in the room is an essential part of the theory.

I'm not saying that schools that don't have the ami or ams acc. are bad but they just aren't montessori.

KBecks
09-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Our school is not accredited with AMS or AMI, it is with some other private school group.

However, I toured the school after reading about M methods and found the school to have the materials and to be using the methods. For us, it's the only M school within a reasonable distance, and I was impressed by their approach, which I feel is very close to pure Montessori teaching. Many of the staff have M certifications from various places. I don't know why they are not accredited, but I am satisfied that the school is "real" Montessori. (There is only one or two accredited M schools in the area and those are much further than a reasonable drive.)

In contrast, I looked at a school that did not make itself out as Monessori but said it used Montessori math materials (it did), but the rest of the structure and schedule was an academic preschool and not at all the free choice of activities, etc. etc.

Read up on Montessori, then go visit and ask a lot of questions. When you see the kids working and the materials you'll get a very good feel for the school and how well it matches the M philosophy.

kusumat
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
A "true" Montessori school is only one that has either AMI or AMS status. This means that all of their teachers and teacher's aides have Montessori training at an approved school, and that all of their materials follow the Montessori Method.

It does not mean that a school that bills itself as Montessori-style, or following Montessori's teaching is entirely unaccredited, or necessarily a bad school. Or even trying to pass itself off as something that it's not. There are different levels of accreditation. Many of these types of schools are part of the public or Catholic school systems, and as such, still accredited schools, but not as Montessori schools if that makes sense. They just don't have that extra stamp that means that other teaching styles and curricula might not be mixed in. This is not necessarily a case of lack of follow-through, it is generally the result of deliberate planning. It means that they haven't chosen to follow the extremely specific curriculum whole hog, or hire exclusively trained Montessori teachers. Not being Montessori trained also does not necessarily mean being without a teaching certificate. It just means that the teacher/aide has not had that additional Montessori training.

Each school like this is different, and every parent has to decide their own comfort level with it. Some are great, some aren't. I would ask for an observation time (a Montessori standard) and an interview with the director/directress to see how you like the place before discounting it entirely.

ETA: you can check out the schools in your area here, and get some info on - AMI: http://www.montessori-ami.org/ and AMS: http://www.amshq.org/ Both sites have school listings and an explanation of the Method, teacher training process, and accreditation. IIRC, AMI is the one that more strictly adheres to Dr. Montessori's teachings and that all teachers be certified AMI, while I think that AMS offers a bit more leeway on the teacher certification. But it's been a loooong time since I taught. AMI is more common internationally, while AMS is more common in the US.

I called the school yesterday and asked the reason. They said it was expensive to be listed and they tried to keep the tuition affordable because they are the nonprofit organization. Aren't majority of Montessori nonprofit anyway? Though, I noticed their tuition is a little bit lower than other montessori schools in this area. But it is still $10K for halfday school. Well, I live in NYC where everything is insanely expensive.

Also, they said that their teachers are mixed b/w AMI and AMS. So, they can't really be listed in AMI or AMS solely. Is it true? Thanks,